First Time Grower.

• Thread starter Ariesgirl420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Ariesgirl420

First time grower 2
First time grower
Found A few seeds in some weed I purchased from a dispensary and decided to see what would happened and BAM! Heres my beautiful baby today. The soil I use is miraclegro (I've already heard a lot of bad reviews about using that type of soil for growing but shoooot it's doing the job so far!) and I haven't added any nutrients or balanced the ph levels I'm just treating it like a normal plant. there's some bugs on the plant but I seen on YouTube that using lady bugs is a safe effective way to get rid of the bugs. But the seeds were germinated on 4/20 And the small veg plant pic was taken on May 11, 2017 and the pic where the plant is big is of today July 24, 2017. Also the plant was dried up and basically was dead for like 3 weeks, I had two growing but the other one wasn't able to be saved but with a lot of water and care this one manage to survive!

Monster762

Monster762

Nice work. Ladybugs are good too. And nothing wrong with miracle grow. As you see yourself.

Dan789

Dan789

@Ariesgirl420 Welcome to the farm, plant is looking good.
A lot of soil growers use FoxFarm Ocean Forest, or ffof, many just mix their own. As far as pests, that depends on what kind of pest your encountering. Post pics of suspected infestations, as you encounter them and I'm sure someone will chime in with a diagnosis and something suitable to use to control or eradicate them. Good growing.

Monster762

Monster762

Thanks what soil do you usually use to grow your plants and how do you deal with pest?
I'm on my first indoor but believe it or not I used miracle grow cactus n palm soil added perelite and desert sand. I was going for good drainage. And for pests I use neem oil. It kills gnats ,alphids, mites which are the main common pests. I tried a root drench with it and it is as it says 100% safe for plants. I did notice it will burn leaves if it's mixed strong. Noticed on lower leaves when I sprayed. But it says to spray it heavily for mites. I would reccomend adding a little extra water though. It smells. Supposedly it is absorbed in roots and will deter future bugs too if used as drench. As with anything I wouldn't drench roots late in flower or spray buds.

Monster762

Monster762

One reason mg soil isn't recommended is because it has time released nitrogen pellets that will release high nitrogen fertilizer into the mix well into flower every time you water, and make your flowers more fox tailed and airy and green tasting. You can transplant it and shake off as much mg soil as possible if you want tighter nugs.
Oh ok. Yeah I know it is a time release. The nutes are in little gel type balls. I busted a lot of them during veg. Idk if I'm going to transplant at this point. I have 3 that are about 2 ft in 5 gal buckets and 3 that are trying to catch up in large pretzel jugs my plants been through a lot but are now bug free n smile every time I open the door. I'm on day 3 of flower now. They are all bushes. I'm going to have to move the 3 smaller ones cause my 4x4 is crammed badly. 9 ft ceiling though.

gwheels

gwheels

The problem is or will be the high level of nitrogen from the MG soil may cause you problems when you hit flower. At flower or bloom the plants need a lot less nitrogen.

jipp

jipp

i did regular veg food the first week of flower, then 50/50 veg/bloom, bloom.
i mention this because its not to late to transplant if you want too.

chris.

Monster762

Monster762

i did regular veg food the first week of flower, then 50/50 veg/bloom, bloom.
i mention this because its not to late to transplant if you want too.

chris.
Do you think it will really effect my yield or quality if I keep it in the mg cactus soil ? It has about 30% perelite n 20% desert sand mixed in it. So only 50% mg soil. I wanted soil with no numbers but that wasn't available. I think my cactus soil has lower nitrogen than regular mg garden or potting soil the numbers are .06-.02.-.04 npk
I looked for lowest numbers and good drainage. Most are not that low. Usually numbers before the point ( . ). And like I said I popped most of the balls of gel early on. I am using bud blood to flower which is 0-10-6. And rhino skin which is 0-0-0.4 was using bud candy too but I stopped cause people said it has its own taste n some don't like it.

jipp

jipp

Do you think it will really effect my yield or quality if I keep it in the mg cactus soil ? It has about 30% perelite n 20% desert sand mixed in it. So only 50% mg soil. I wanted soil with no numbers but that wasn't available. I think my cactus soil has lower nitrogen than regular mg garden or potting soil the numbers are .06-.02.-.04 npk
I looked for lowest numbers and good drainage. Most are not that low. Usually numbers before the point ( . ). And like I said I popped most of the balls of gel early on. I am using bud blood to flower which is 0-10-6. And rhino skin which is 0-0-0.4 was using bud candy too but I stopped cause people said it has its own taste n some don't like it.
hell id go for it. i honestly have no idea what the end result would be living in high N soil during bud ( yours is lower so maybe wont be to noticeable. i guess your leafs will tell you in the end ) the reason i did it was it would not get so yellow early on.. which i guess is personal choice. still learning.. and trying to find what works for me.

bowls up,
chris.

A

Ariesgirl420

@Ariesgirl420 Welcome to the farm, plant is looking good.
A lot of soil growers use FoxFarm Ocean Forest, or ffof, many just mix their own. As far as pests, that depends on what kind of pest your encountering. Post pics of suspected infestations, as you encounter them and I'm sure someone will chime in with a diagnosis and something suitable to use to control or eradicate them. Good growing.

Well I had seen some of those tiny spiders and some tiny black bugs. But Ive been checking my plant for the past few days and surprisingly I haven't seen Bugs so idk what happened but I'm not complaining lol

A

Ariesgirl420

I'm on my first indoor but believe it or not I used miracle grow cactus n palm soil added perelite and desert sand. I was going for good drainage. And for pests I use neem oil. It kills gnats ,alphids, mites which are the main common pests. I tried a root drench with it and it is as it says 100% safe for plants. I did notice it will burn leaves if it's mixed strong. Noticed on lower leaves when I sprayed. But it says to spray it heavily for mites. I would reccomend adding a little extra water though. It smells. Supposedly it is absorbed in roots and will deter future bugs too if used as drench. As with anything I wouldn't drench roots late in flower or spray buds.

Ok cool I will try with the neem oil if they come back, because honestly I would be too scared to even release/ touch the lady bugs lol

Dan789

Dan789

Just like climbing, "never climb higher than you're willing to fall from", similarly don't put anything on your plants that you're not afraid to ingest. So organic pest control, and predatory mites, ladybugs, praying mantises included are the way to go. imho

Monster762

Monster762

Just like climbing, "never climb higher than you're willing to fall from", similarly don't put anything on your plants that you're not afraid to ingest. So organic pest control, and predatory mites, ladybugs, praying mantises included are the way to go. imho
Garden safe neem oil is 100% organic. And it will kill most bugs. I've actually used it for a root drench I am with you on what you're saying. Not against you at all. I don't even like to use non organic fertilizers. But as a organic neem is good. Of course predatory bugs are too.

Monster762

Monster762

Ok cool I will try with the neem oil if they come back, because honestly I would be too scared to even release/ touch the lady bugs lol
I would drench roots/soil in neem. Just to be sure you have nothing attacking your root system. If you saw bugs they didn't just go away. They may be in the soil hurting your root system. People will say to scope and be sure but honestly that is a waste of time in my opinion. The neem will not hurt the plants. And is easier to apply than spending all day with a microscope looking for a number of different species bugs in different areas and in the soil especially. If nothing else adds up drench the roots. 1 time. Then you'll be able to cross that off the list of possibilities with no damage done. Lady bugs are good. Definately good but neem might kill them so don't use neem if you use beneficial insects. Ladybugs do go after and kill bad bugs. N ladybug won't bite you. Promise.

A

Ariesgirl420

I would drench roots/soil in neem. Just to be sure you have nothing attacking your root system. If you saw bugs they didn't just go away. They may be in the soil hurting your root system. People will say to scope and be sure but honestly that is a waste of time in my opinion. The neem will not hurt the plants. And is easier to apply than spending all day with a microscope looking for a number of different species bugs in different areas and in the soil especially. If nothing else adds up drench the roots. 1 time. Then you'll be able to cross that off the list of possibilities with no damage done. Lady bugs are good. Definately good but neem might kill them so don't use neem if you use beneficial insects. Ladybugs do go after and kill bad bugs. N ladybug won't bite you. Promise.
Thanks for all the info! I will try both . If the ladybugs fail then ill give the neem oil a try. Also I have 2 question how tall does your plants grow and how long did it take for your flowers to start blooming? I feel like this plant is growing too tall for my comfort lol (I don't want others to start noticing it over the balcony . )I've seen other people's plants that grew like 1 foot but this shit is about 3ft now and doesn't seem to stop growing. Should I stop transplanting it into bigger pots?

Top Bottom