First time growing in coco coir

• Thread starter _nz420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

_nz420

Hey everyone, new to this website 👋

Was hoping someone could help this is My first grow in coco coir and I'm worried my seedlings are growing slower than they should, they are Gorilla cookie autos from herbies. Any feed back would be appreciated. They are currently on day 5. I felt as though they were slightly starting to stretch so I lowered my light using photone. Thanks guys

First time growing in coco coir
First time growing in coco coir 2
N

_nz420

Sorry I forgot to add the top photo would be my biggest out of 4 and bottom photo is the smallest

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hello and welcome to the forum.
As I do not see any Perlite in your pots. I must ask if you washed and buffered your coco?

How where you thinking about feeding your plant?

N

_nz420

Hey bro thanks for the reply, I'm using cannacoco plus which comes buffered, at the moment I'm just started feeding coco A and B, Veg ignitor, Root blast and calmag all at half strength. Once a day 1litre of liquid and and having about 10% run off how does that sound? PPFD is sitting at about 250 from canopy to light

N

_nz420

Hello and welcome to the forum.
As I do not see any Perlite in your pots. I must ask if you washed and buffered your coco?

How where you thinking about feeding your plant?
Also have got alot of my information from cocoforcannabis, has good information

H

hoobastank_enthusiast

That pot looks pretty big, are you going straight into a 3 gallon? When going straight into a larger container it's normal to expect the initial above-ground growth to occur a little slower than usual. That root system has a bigger space to fill out before it starts to push more energy into leaf growth.

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

Hey bro thanks for the reply, I'm using cannacoco plus which comes buffered, at the moment I'm just started feeding coco A and B, Veg ignitor, Root blast and calmag all at half strength. Once a day 1litre of liquid and and having about 10% run off how does that sound? PPFD is sitting at about 250 from canopy to light
sounds fine. you got an EC pen ? if not its a must have

N

_nz420

That pot looks pretty big, are you going straight into a 3 gallon? When going straight into a larger container it's normal to expect the initial above-ground growth to occur a little slower than usual. That root system has a bigger space to fill out before it starts to push more energy into leaf growth.
Yeah bro that's the original pot it's 5 gal, probably read almost everywhere I looked to put autos in there final home, wishing I did put it in a degradable pot or something first that may have sped up the process a bit, appreciate the feed back dude

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

nope. you should get an EC pen so you know exactly what the concentration of your nutrients are
and also you can test your run off so you know the concentration in your root zone because salts can build up and you will burn your plants

N

_nz420

nope. you should get an EC pen so you know exactly what the concentration of your nutrients are
and also you can test your run off so you know the concentration in your root zone because salts can build up and you will burn your plants
Right bro thank you I'll order one tomorrow may as well throw in the ph pen too sick of the drip test 😂

H

hoobastank_enthusiast

Yeah bro that's the original pot it's 5 gal, probably read almost everywhere I looked to put autos in there final home, wishing I did put it in a degradable pot or something first that may have sped up the process a bit, appreciate the feed back dude
There is a school of thought that says transplant stress reduces the overall time your plant spends growing, so for time-limited plants like autos you want to utilize as much of that time as possible by avoiding any possible stresses. My counter-argument would be that even on the flip side, going directly into such a large container slows down your growth enough to make the argument of transplant stress very moot; you might end up with a great root structure but that doesn't leave enough time to fill out the above-ground growth. It works well outside of autos (there are some people that absolutely swear by going into a large container and then purposefully drybacking to push the root structure down quickly) but with autos you may just not have enough time.

Last edited:
H

hoobastank_enthusiast

That's the only thing I've failed on is getting something to read EC, is it to late to start taking those readings ?
Never too late. If you want to pursue coco, investing in a good-quality EC/pH meter is absolutely essential. EC is the most important reading you can be taking with coco-based media and you are flying very blind without it. It will tell you everything from the concentration of your nutrient solution to the health of your runoff water. Don't worry about anything regarding TDS or PPM scales, those are just estimations derived from actual EC readings. EC in either mS/cm or μS/cm is what you need.

Top Bottom