First Time Growing Problems (done Researched)

• Thread starter kee362
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kee362

Hi all, this is my first time growing and I've been doing studying online for weeks.
My setups are:
-4*2*5 ft growing tent
-100*3w LED light with red:blue 8:1
distance of the light to the top plant was about 12' yet I moved it up to 23' two days ago
-24hours of light
-RT: 75-80 F (Under AC room all the time)
-RH: 45-55% (Under AC room all the time)
-water pH 6.3-6.5
-yellow sticky cards for 5 days (have caught few fruit flies and ONE fungus gnat)

The following pictures are my setups:
First time growing problems done researched 5

First time growing problems done researched 6

I watered my plants with pH 6.3-6.5 tap water; three days ago I started giving them N : P : K = 5:2:2 nutrients half-strength. However, the following two plants im doing right now are 16 days old with unknown problems continue going on.
Plant 1:
First time growing problems done researched
First time growing problems done researched 2
First time growing problems done researched 3
First time growing problems done researched 15
First time growing problems done researched 4

Plant 2:
First time growing problems done researched 7
First time growing problems done researched 8
First time growing problems done researched 9

And then 7 days ago I germinated another 4 seeds; right now they seems happening a bit leaf edge curling up/twisting as well as my previous two older plants.
7 days old plants:
First time growing problems done researched 10
First time growing problems done researched 11
First time growing problems done researched 12
First time growing problems done researched 13
First time growing problems done researched 14

I've been thought many kind of problems such as light burn(moving light up), nutrient deficiency(adding nutrients), bugs(yellow sticky cards), etc. Unfortunately, everything i've done seemed useless and the problems are getting worse. Please diagnose my problems ill be very appreciated!!

Last edited:
BudBogart

BudBogart

What soil are you using. It's possible the soil was too hot for seedlings and caused burning.

dreamofgreen

dreamofgreen

i suggest you order a cubic foot of soil from build a soil. and while you're waiting for that to arrive read everything on that site about their system for growing. learn how to make and use aerated compost teas(act) and the how to implement integrated pest management(ipm).
that'll put you way ahead on the learning curve and get you the best tasting, smelling and overall quality of bud possible.

and if you don't already have one, get a hand held microscope to check underside of leaves for unwanted critters. you'll also need it to check trichomes near the end of flowering. i like these type of scopes, you can order one from china off e bay for only a couple bucks.
S l500

K

kee362

What soil are you using. It's possible the soil was too hot for seedlings and caused burning.
since im living in asia, its hard to find a "premade soil for growing" or ordering it shipped internationally. the soil i was first using just pure peat soil with N-P-K = 1.5-0.2-0.2 and pH = 5.8. Until 4-5 days ago, they looked like this
Plant 1:
IMG 3238
IMG 3228
IMG 3239

Plant 2:
IMG 3229

but then i thought it's probably the peat soil was too dense couldn't drain the water fast even the top soil. caused fungus gnat?(which i caught one) so i switch the soil to "peat soil+pearl rock+coco+etc" with N-P-K = 0.5-0.2-0.4 and pH=5.4 until present. The problems look like the first thread i posted. yet the rest new grew plants kept the first soil.

K

kee362

i suggest you order a cubic foot of soil from build a soil. and while you're waiting for that to arrive read everything on that site about their system for growing. learn how to make and use aerated compost teas(act) and the how to implement integrated pest management(ipm).
that'll put you way ahead on the learning curve and get you the best tasting, smelling and overall quality of bud possible.

and if you don't already have one, get a hand held microscope to check underside of leaves for unwanted critters. you'll also need it to check trichomes near the end of flowering. i like these type of scopes, you can order one from china off e bay for only a couple bucks.
View attachment 607098

the soil information im using is in the previous thread i replied. yet i dont think it's worth to ship a huge bag of soil internationally. well i can try order that kind of microscope.

BudBogart

BudBogart

since im living in asia, its hard to find a "premade soil for growing" or ordering it shipped internationally. the soil i was first using just pure peat soil with N-P-K = 1.5-0.2-0.2 and pH = 5.8. Until 4-5 days ago, they looked like this
Plant 1:
View attachment 607115 View attachment 607119 View attachment 607116

Plant 2:
View attachment 607114

but then i thought it's probably the peat soil was too dense couldn't drain the water fast even the top soil. caused fungus gnat?(which i caught one) so i switch the soil to "peat soil+pearl rock+coco+etc" with N-P-K = 0.5-0.2-0.4 and pH=5.4 until present. The problems look like the first thread i posted. yet the rest new grew plants kept the first soil.
The PH is way too low for proper nutrient uptake in cannabis.
An ideal PH for cannabis might be 6.5. Definitely gonna cause problems at 5.4.

K

kee362

cuz the previous soil i couldnt flush the pH even many times, ill try flush the present one to see if it works else ill have to change them again

K

kee362

Sorry another question is that do I fertilize my plant(with correct pH) right away after flushing it?

BudBogart

BudBogart

Plant 1:
View attachment 607115 View attachment 607119 View attachment 607116

Plant 2:
View attachment 607114

Depending upon how much peat makes up your soil, that may be the problem. Peat is a very acidic growing medium. Trying to flush the acid from peat moss probably won't work.

MT.4Lready

MT.4Lready

Sorry another question is that do I fertilize my plant(with correct pH) right away after flushing it?

Just flush it, You could add a partial feeding and it might help, but I'd leave out food for a day, or 2-3 till you have to water again.

pH seems to be the main thing to control at the moment. The plants will beable to go a day without fresh suppliment of nutes. the soil will still contain enough for getting by, till you've balanced the pH.

changing the pH drastically will temporarily shock, but getting back close to 6.5 will be the important factor for the plants long term health. raising the pH in increments has been recommended in other situations

[novice grower, correct me of any erroneous advice]

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Make sure to let the soil dry out between waterings too.too wet soil will slow growth and can even kill plants.

Homesteader

Homesteader

If all you have access to is pure peat, you are going to need to cut it with Hi-Cal or dolomitic lime to raise the ph. Rice hulls can go a long way and provide some N while aerating. Some straw? Any chickens around?

K

kee362

alright guys! its been a month for updating. i think i've kinda solve the soil pH and randomly mixing new soil with perlite, dolomite lime, and some vermiculite after transplanted. the new soil pH is between 6.5-7.0 which i think is fine. yea and during this month i've killed some plants while testing the soil lol. Of the 6 plants i grew, the most healthy one right now was in the "green pot" one.
Day 21
IMG 3395

Day 30
IMG 3447

Day 33
IMG 3453
IMG 3455

those yellowing at the old leaf was either magnesium deficiency when she was young and then probably nitrogen deficiency before i first giving nutrients. good thing is they've stopped(or slows down?), but i still not sure what kind of deficiency is this
IMG 3469

so, my plan is to continuing giving NPK = 5-4-5 nutrients until day 60 and then switch to flowering stage. here is the question: when do i start giving flowering fertilizer 0-10-10? a week after the flowering? or ?
also do i need to feed her plain water once before switching the fertilizer?

Top Bottom