First time growing - using AeroGarden XL and could use some help

• Thread starter mookieblaylock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mookieblaylock

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some help and guidance for my first grow using my AeroGarden XL. A friend of mine had one available so I thought I'd give this a try - I've used the guide that Aeroweed.info provides, but that is for the much smaller Bounty. I have all the things needed to start and maintain the plants (nutrients, sheers, lights, seeds, gloves, goggles, PH testing meter, etc.), I would like advice and clarity on the steps to see if I'm getting it right.

Here is how I understand it:
- put the flora series nutrients in a two gallon water holder stir and mix throughly (i've read that you should let sink water sit for 24-hours before entering the nutrients is that true?)
- check the PH of the water, between 5.5 and 6.5 (daily checks to assure it's in that range)
- set up the light cycle and water pump (using auto grow seeds, 20/4 light cycle, 30min on 60min off for water pump during vege stage then switched during flowering)
- change the water every 7-10 days
with the water change, what is a good way to do so? siphon it? would i pretty much just repeat the first step and pour the fresh ph balanced water into the empty water tank?
- repeat water steps until harvesting

Am I missing something? Any advice? Should I use only one of the seed holders or both? I would really appreciate the feedback. tips, tricks, do's& don'ts. Here are photos of my set up/equipment I have as well.

First time growing   using aerogarden xl and could use some help
First time growing   using aerogarden xl and could use some help 2
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Wish I could help you but never seen one of these. Is it like a cloning machine where it continually sprays the roots?

You mention auto seeds then talk about veg vs flower... can you confirm if they are auto or photo seeds?

We often have to add cal-mag to hydro grows too, especially at the beginning. As the plant gets older, not so much. GH trio nutes are a fine product.

M

mookieblaylock

Wish I could help you but never seen one of these. Is it like a cloning machine where it continually sprays the roots?

You mention auto seeds then talk about veg vs flower... can you confirm if they are auto or photo seeds?

We often have to add cal-mag to hydro grows too, especially at the beginning. As the plant gets older, not so much. GH trio nutes are a fine product.
Hey Moe.Red thanks for replying - it's an in-home auto grower, generally made for vegetables. There are guides I've seen online about using it to grow pot, but there are still just general questions I have. And the seeds are feminized auto-flower.

Appreciate it.

josefrahl

josefrahl

There is a drain garden function. Click on left or right on screen, then 'more options', then 'more +' Drain garden is last choice. There should be tubing with the garden to use stored in the side compartments on top. All directions will be on-screen. I use an XL for my grows so Message me with any specific questions.

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Hey fellow grower, I am 20 days into my grow using an Aerogarden 24XL. I'm only growing two plants(because it's my first DWC grow). One Auto Fem, one Fem. I'm going to link my first thread, so you can read the information I've provided. Number one rule, change your water:nutrients every 7 days. When changing, make sure you clean the reservoirs very thoroughly, with warm water and hydrogen peroxide to ensure ZERO bacterial growth. Rinse again, with warm/hot water and wipe dry. Use 100% distilled water. No baby water, or RO. The nutrients you got, and that the dude that made the Aerogarden grow guide page, are lack luster, but will work. I advice using Cutting Edge Solultions(their entire product line omitting the Plant Amp), as I've done extensive research, and have not seen anything better as far as chelated nutrients. When mixing nutrients, wait at least 7 minutes between adding each one, and mix well. Do not breathe anything in, as some chemicals can be cancerous when inhaled(this goes for most chemicals in life). Keep your lights at least 18-24 inches in the veg stage. There is a complex formula you can find to figure out exactly how much your plants are recieving, but I do not know it yet. Don't go crazy with the bubbles if you've added air stones(keep on a low setting). I run the Aerogarden pump 24/7 currently because I don't have my air stones in yet. I pick up my entire garden and dump it, because it takes 10 years to use the drain pump. I advice not using the PH down, rather than getting some Organic Distilled White Vinegar, as the more natural the better. It does not hinder the pumps in any fashion. Also, be ready to combat the PH drift(going up). It's a constant battle with any DWC. I bought the Blue Lab PH Controllet, which will auto dose your water, but it's about $500. Tomorrow, I'm going to rinse/spray my seed pod with warm sink water because they look like they are getting stained by the nutrients,& I can only imagine letting this sit may cause bacterial growth, so something to look out for. I wouldn't grow any more than 2 on each side. I like to adjust the PH in one res, while the plants are not in, avoiding hitting them with direct acidity, letting it circulate and settle at your desired PH. 6.0 is the golden number as it is the perfect acidity to allow every nutrient in the spectrum into the roots. Stay in contact with me, as I feel there isn't many growers using the garden, and especially with the amount of research I've done. Good luck!

Sharty1

Sharty1

Hey fellow grower, I am 20 days into my grow using an Aerogarden 24XL. I'm only growing two plants(because it's my first DWC grow). One Auto Fem, one Fem. I'm going to link my first thread, so you can read the information I've provided. Number one rule, change your water:nutrients every 7 days. When changing, make sure you clean the reservoirs very thoroughly, with warm water and hydrogen peroxide to ensure ZERO bacterial growth. Rinse again, with warm/hot water and wipe dry. Use 100% distilled water. No baby water, or RO. The nutrients you got, and that the dude that made the Aerogarden grow guide page, are lack luster, but will work. I advice using Cutting Edge Solultions(their entire product line omitting the Plant Amp), as I've done extensive research, and have not seen anything better as far as chelated nutrients. When mixing nutrients, wait at least 7 minutes between adding each one, and mix well. Do not breathe anything in, as some chemicals can be cancerous when inhaled(this goes for most chemicals in life). Keep your lights at least 18-24 inches in the veg stage. There is a complex formula you can find to figure out exactly how much your plants are recieving, but I do not know it yet. Don't go crazy with the bubbles if you've added air stones(keep on a low setting). I run the Aerogarden pump 24/7 currently because I don't have my air stones in yet. I pick up my entire garden and dump it, because it takes 10 years to use the drain pump. I advice not using the PH down, rather than getting some Organic Distilled White Vinegar, as the more natural the better. It does not hinder the pumps in any fashion. Also, be ready to combat the PH drift(going up). It's a constant battle with any DWC. I bought the Blue Lab PH Controllet, which will auto dose your water, but it's about $500. Tomorrow, I'm going to rinse/spray my seed pod with warm sink water because they look like they are getting stained by the nutrients,& I can only imagine letting this sit may cause bacterial growth, so something to look out for. I wouldn't grow any more than 2 on each side. I like to adjust the PH in one res, while the plants are not in, avoiding hitting them with direct acidity, letting it circulate and settle at your desired PH. 6.0 is the golden number as it is the perfect acidity to allow every nutrient in the spectrum into the roots. Stay in contact with me, as I feel there isn't many growers using the garden, and especially with the amount of research I've done. Good luck!
How are you able to clean so thoroughly when you have roots going everywhere? I use an aquarium siphon to change the water, it's like 2 gallons so it doesn't take too long and doesn't disturb the plants or the tie downs I use when they get bigger. I use distilled water to cut down on bacteria and tap water chemicals. I have to add nutes with calcium to make up for it but its not a biggie.

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

I'm only growing two plants at the moment, and I feel you could grow at least 2 in each reservoir(just being conservative). I carefully move them to one reservoir, while I take my empty reservoir to my sink and get down on it once a week during feeding. I'm using CES Bulletproof SI which is a Silicon fertilizer, that promotes strengthed, upright plants(so they're both nice and sturdy). There definitely is a slew of roots, you just have to slide them into a hole very carefully. I make the nutrients for both tanks in a 5 gallon bucket(it's heavy as fk), and very carefully pour half of the nutrient water into the clean tank, then move the plants to the clean tank, and repeat the process. I bounce them around all day between tanks as I pull the PH down with the vinegar. I haven't had any issues with leaning plants yet so if your plants are further along, and have very sporadic roots, I would use a sterile latex glove to prevent any contaminants and guide them into the hole with your hand. I don't see any other way around getting a thorough clean other than removing the plants all together. It's just too much of a gamble hitting them inadvertently with hydrogen peroxide or my chlorinated tap water cleaning them in a close proximity. From what I read in your comment, it sounds like you pull them out while still in the tray, and set them in an auxiliary tank, which is essentially what I do, but I actually pull the seed pod from the hole, and place it in another hole in the other reservoir , just carefully. I hope I answered your question!

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Note::: I ended up deciding against using my sink water, as it has too much chlorine & contaminants. I heated some distilled water on the stove(i dont use microwaves, for anything) and use the most particulated mister' at my disposal to mist, and carefully rub/massage the roots/seed pod. I'm 99% sure the golden color my roots are exibiting is from nutrient stain. I seem no harm done from the discoloration at this stage. I will monitor and upload a new thread soon to discuss this topic more in depth. My water stones are in, and the ph seems to be a tad more stable, but still drifts upwards slowly. I believe the rate slowed due to the lower consistent water temps the air stones are providing. My biggest concern at this stage(day 21) is some interesting spottage at the base of my stem on the auto flower, it may be inadmissible, but I'm going to do some research on that as well.

josefrahl

josefrahl

I wouldn't recommend cleaning the tank every week. I use hydrogaurd in mine, and a weekly cleaning just destroys the little environment in there. All the beneficial little guys on the roots and walls are getting cleaned away, and would have to restart their work each week. Plus moving the plant around week after week is unnecessary stress for your girls. Using vinegar as ph down does the same thing as vinegar will kill bacteria both good and bad. My roots have been silky smooth at the end of each run, and I haven't run into a bacteria/mold problem yet. Towards the end of the run I imagine it would be impossible to do too. The weight of the buds should be too much to handle being moved around like that. So at the end when they're most vulnerable to everything they'll have no prior 'immunity' through beneficial bacteria.

If it works for you cool, but just seems like a lot of unnecessary work with a lot of potential pitfalls.

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Thank you for your input! I only cleaned the seed pod once/root the other day, and it was only to see if I could remove the nutrient stains. The discoloration came back rather fast due to the tank saturated in that color. As I read more and more, it does not sound like it has any ill-effects so im just going to ride with them, unless I actually see root rot. Once a week during the reservoir clean, it's literally only a 2 minute task per res to clean all of the built up nutrients on the walls of the res. I can't imagine there's anything beneficial about leaving it around, and it would influence the PPM to go up I can assume. I found the official covers for the holes and got them on the way. I can admit, I'm definitely over zealous in every aspect, as I don't want anything bad to happen to ruin all of my progress. I don't anticipate i will have the luxury of moving them around during flowering due to what you've mentioned. Here's a shot of the roots currently. The only thing that concerns me right now is the slimish look on the bottom of the seed pod. I don't have hydrogaurd yet.

josefrahl

josefrahl

Yeah, I've never had that slime, but the only time I see the roots is at harvest. Maybe another hydro grower will check in and identify it.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Macgyver Skills.

nasty nasty & slimey

your water mix isnt correct. your growing bacteria.

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

I don't think it has anything to do with my "water mix" being incorrect. If anything, it had to do with the light I was letting into the open ports on my garden. I use distilled water and nutrients that balance out to the correct PPM & PH & temp. Im going to rectify the situation tonight, and we'll see how it looks tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Still scratching my head on the Macgyver Skills reference.

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Definintely need to pull the temps down & cut down all excess exposure of light to the water, and add a benifical bacteria. Like I said, its my first grow, and I only grew two plants knowing it would be a challenge/expirement. If they die, I'll come back stronger with the next attempt. Got some hydrogaurd arriving Tuesday.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Definintely need to pull the temps down & cut down all excess exposure of light to the water, and add a benifical bacteria. Like I said, its my first grow, and I only grew two plants knowing it would be a challenge/expirement. If they die, I'll come back stronger with the next attempt. Got some hydrogaurd arriving Tuesday.
How did you end up?

Sharty1

Sharty1

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some help and guidance for my first grow using my AeroGarden XL. A friend of mine had one available so I thought I'd give this a try - I've used the guide that Aeroweed.info provides, but that is for the much smaller Bounty. I have all the things needed to start and maintain the plants (nutrients, sheers, lights, seeds, gloves, goggles, PH testing meter, etc.), I would like advice and clarity on the steps to see if I'm getting it right.

Here is how I understand it:
- put the flora series nutrients in a two gallon water holder stir and mix throughly (i've read that you should let sink water sit for 24-hours before entering the nutrients is that true?)
- check the PH of the water, between 5.5 and 6.5 (daily checks to assure it's in that range)
- set up the light cycle and water pump (using auto grow seeds, 20/4 light cycle, 30min on 60min off for water pump during vege stage then switched during flowering)
- change the water every 7-10 days
with the water change, what is a good way to do so? siphon it? would i pretty much just repeat the first step and pour the fresh ph balanced water into the empty water tank?
- repeat water steps until harvesting

Am I missing something? Any advice? Should I use only one of the seed holders or both? I would really appreciate the feedback. tips, tricks, do's& don'ts. Here are photos of my set up/equipment I have as well.

Sharty1

Sharty1

Aerogarden Progress! Flipped to flower Oct 2 and they are already getting frosty. Blue Cheese fem seed, grown directly in my Aerogarden in a small tent. They are stretching and drinking a lot so I have a backup reservoir. I purchased my own water distiller which is paying for itself big time.

Most of the plants have grown past the light hood so I have supplemental LEDs hanging from the top. The plants on the left are quite bushy so I added a lower LED wand on that side. The Aerogarden pump is likely full of roots by now which is why I added TWO aquarium air pumps to keep the roots aerated and prevent nute lock. Cool mist humidifier and fans keep things moist and circulated. I have an old iTouch tucked away from the moisture playing classical music on a loop.

I test the water PH daily and adjust accordingly. I have a few hydro fertilizers that I switch out depending on how the leaves look; one is higher in calcium, one is higher in potassium, you get the idea.

They are starting to defoliate and when I was cleaning things up I saw the early signs of frostiness and some nice sized colas, so I had to share some photos. This grow is just for us, personal use.

3CC293FB EEB2 495F B281 48045B4D9646
2C682C8D DC91 4A61 B592 CDEFFDD7E898
006B1799 6A8E 4D0B B42D 208A3E49CC7E
ninjadip

ninjadip

Impressive, but I would have used a bigger reservoir for flower, and just use the aerogarden for vegging. It'll be a lot easier on you

ninjadip

ninjadip

I was just thinking about this grow, wanted to say that the aerogarden is great for cloning, that's what I use my fake one for, which I see is about half the reservoir and light power as yours. I use it as a stand alone without any additional light.

I clone and veg them a week or so in there then give them away or use them in my next grow, by transferring to DWC buckets. It's a pretty cool thing. Those are all clones, even the bigger two. I am temporarily using one as a mother plant, which is a clone of the best pheno during flip.

PXL 20221110 020701838PORTRAIT
ninjadip

ninjadip

Just thinking you have a lot of grow space in the tent you could be utilizing. 👍😎✌️

Latest posts

Top Bottom