first time hydro grow...poor performing plants

• Thread starter farmerwanda
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

farmerwanda

ahhhhhhhhhhgr.
first hydo grow.
looks like magnesium deficiency but is it do to a lock out?

poor performing vegging plants.

rock wool and hydroton
1000 hps 2 feet above plants and temp does not get over 75 on the tops of plants.
ph 5.6-6.0 (check twice daily am/pm) calibrated meter
ro water
ppm1400 (full strength AN MBG)
feeding advance nutrients MBG full strength for veg
vegged for 4 weeks
top fed 1/2 strength for 2 weeks.
Switched to ebb and flow after flush and 1/2 strength in reservoir for a week (500ppm).
Plants started to yellow.
Upped nutes to full strength a week ago...greening up a bit.
10ml/gallon h2o2 and full strength MGB AN for veg in reservoir ph 5.6-6.0 ppm 1400(40 gallon) due to be changed.
RH 40-60
temp 60-75
1k hps on 4x4 tray
fans, filters, dehumidify, AC, etc.
started ebb/flow 1/2 strength and plants got a bit yellow thus increase of nutes to full strength.
ebb/flow twice daily for 30 mins.

plants are greening up but new fans and growth seem stunted, variegated, tacoed, and top of plant is rough to touch.

no mites, got plants as clones and some of them had PM. treated with topical neem...have not seen any more PM.
Strain- sour grape.
veg 18/6.
It's been a little on the cold side but barely under 60 for a couple of hours.
thought about a flush but since they greened up with the increase of nutes...just thought I would let them go a bit.
sulphur burner on the list.
cal/mag?
back off nutes?
cal/mag or just epsom salt spray
FF feed?
do nothing?
flush?

was going to scrog...top this week and turn next week adding co2...

what do you think?

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
First time hydro growpoor performing plants 5
K

Kpezzy

I am far from an expert, but 1400 ppms seems really high for such small plants, also below 60 is pretty cold :boogie:

M

Malachi

Flush flush flush with clearex or something comparable. I personally never go above 1000 ppm during veg ever, and only reach 1400 ppm during peak flowering of some very hungry girls. What strain are you growing? I would say you are locking out some nutes, try between 700-750 ppm then gradually increase if you need to but I wouldn't go over 1000 during veg.

S

scooby

check out my grow,
as my set up is like yours, my temps have been as low as 55, in the night for 8 hours at a time and as high as 90 in the day, so i dont think this is your prob (but i am new to hydro) i would say it has to be locking nutes out, so give it a flush, my ppm on veg are 800 and upto 1600 on flower, but that started to just burn the tips of the leaves so i have now lowerd the ppm, and are starting to raise it again. ph 5.2 to 5.8 all the way through.
i think you should be feeding more often for less time.

urbanite420

urbanite420

Hi Wanda, Check out my grow "logue" to see how I handled my cal-mag and other issues:

In general I use EC (in uS) measurements as opposed to ppm. So, I would start at 300-400 (~250ppm) EC the first week when the plants go in to the bucket. 800 EC (~750ppm) for the second week veg. then 1500 EC (~1200ppm)week three, 2000EC (~1400ppm) week 4 if you veg that long.

**pH should be between 5.0 and 5.5.

During bloom, I max out at 4000EC (~2750ppm). I also grow some very heavy feeders (Chem Valley Kush -sativa hybrid and Raskals OG), but my bloom schedule will not work on more purer Indica strains like the Raskals, so I have to tone it down a bit for the ROG.

IMO you may not need to flush, only adjust. Dilute the nutes and Cal-Mag wouldnt hurt, just don't give too much. I add 10% more calmag than what the label tells me.I would also put that 1k watter 3-4 feet from plants so small. after a week bring the lights down gradually daily till you hit 2 feet

B

billybadazz

flush em' start with WAY lower ppm's I agree with never (or very rarely) exceed 1000ppm's in veg IMO

U

Urquel

I would start off with the flush as stated but I would have a tendency to switch to a nutrient program that has directions and a schedule to follow. People trying to customize hydro formulas usually end up with a less than complete nutrients and all sorts of other problems. If you stick to a schedule you won't be wondering what you did and you will know how far you can push your babies. Of course this is coming from a dirt farmer..... I don't have to worry bout nothing but waiting

Latest posts

Top Bottom