First time hydro grower. Making my own nute recipe.

• Thread starter GigZ-16
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GigZ-16

I know alot of websites to get nutrients off of, but I want to use my own mix and routine. I have asked around for recipes and all I got is more sites to buy pre-mixed nutes.

No offense to anyone that uses those nutes but I would rather try mixing my own.

So I'll start with what I believe is an all extensive list of the nutrients needed by a Cannabis plant.

Nitrogen
Phosphorous
Potassium
Boron
Copper
Iron
Magnesium
Manganese
Molybdenum
zinc
calcium
sulfur

nickel(?)
chlorine(?)

I am not sure if this list is complete. Any more advanced growers have any advice?

My two fertilizers I'll be using are Miracle Grow 7-7-7, and Schultz 15-30-15. Here is what they contain.

MG 7-7-7

boron
copper
iron
manganese
zinc

Shultz 15-30-15

boron
copper
iron
manganese
molybdenum
zinc

Heres how I will be supplying the rest of the nutrients.

Magnesium and Sulfur - Epsom salts through foliar feeding to control the buildup of salts in the rez. One tsp per gallon.

Iron - Worm castings mixed into the foliar nutes so the rez stays clear.

So I won't be getting the following from the list.

Nickel
Chlorine
Molybdenum
Calcium

Does anyone know where can get a source for these micros? I have some dolomite lime I was thinking of using as a source of calcium in the foliar spray as to not interfere with pH.

Any ideas anyone?

J

Jalisco Kid

I buy my salts and mix my own. I buy them from chemical supply companies. You need to know more then you need N,what kind of N? If you are looking for cheap ferts look for Haifa Chemical(polyfeed) or Grow More. They make/sell for the Arig industry. JK

G

GigZ-16

I buy my salts and mix my own. I buy them from chemical supply companies. You need to know more then you need N,what kind of N? If you are looking for cheap ferts look for Haifa Chemical(polyfeed) or Grow More. They make/sell for the Arig industry. JK

Well The N I'll be using is the right kind cause I've already used these ferts on soil. Unless of course there is a different type.

It's not that I want a cheaper type of fert (It'd probably be cheaper to buy any fert rather than mix your own I'm assuming), but more that I don't want to buy online. I don't live close to any hydro stores or anything so I kinda need some nutrients from things I can buy from common stores. IE, epsom salts.

Anyone?

J

Jalisco Kid

Atlas chemicals,
Much cheaper mixing your own salts then buying premixed.
you should research hydroponic industry for tested formulas. JK

G

GigZ-16

Atlas chemicals,
Much cheaper mixing your own salts then buying premixed.
you should research hydroponic industry for tested formulas. JK

Do you by chance know where I can find that information? My searching has been fruitless thus far.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The dry nutes are not refined for hydro the way the actual manufaturers prepare them so the need time to break down to the point where the plant can actually use them...not at all the same as soil which breaks down and refines those nutes over time...

Here is what an actual mix might look like if done in a psuedo lab enviroment..

All ratios are to mix one gallon of solution

Vegetative Nutrients = 9.5 – 5.67 – 11.3 (NPK)

6.00 grams of Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2
2.09 grams of Potassium Nitrate KNO3
.46 grams of Sulfate of Potash K2SO4
1.39 grams of Monopotassium Phosphate KH2PO4
2.42 grams of Magnesium Phosphate MgSO4*7H2O
.40 grams of 7% Fe Chelated trace elements see trace box

Fruiting Nutrients = 8.2 – 5.9 – 13.6 (NPK)

8.00 grams of Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2
2.80 grams of Potassium Nitrate KNO3
1.70 grams of Sulfate of Potash K2SO4
2.40 grams of Magnesium Sulphate MgSO4*7H2O
.40 grams of 7% Fe chelated trace elements see trace box

Flowering Nutrients = 5.5 – 7.97 – 18.4 (NPK)

4.10 grams of Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2
2.80 grams of Potassium Nitrate KNO3
.46 grams of Sulfate of Potash K2SO4
2.40 grams of Magnesium Phosphate MgSO4*7H2O
.40 grams of 7% Fe Chelated trace elements see trace box

Chelated trace elements
Iron Fe 7.00%
Manganese Mn 2.00%
Zinc Zn 0.40%
Copper Cu 0.10%
Boron B 1.30%
Molybdenum Mo 0.06%

We played around with these throgh the colleges in the area a few years back. Keep in mind that cannabis is allittle different and likes blast of different things at different stages..hydro you have to control this not like soil that basically self regualtes.

If this is your first hydro griow, you are inviteing way more problems than it is worth, get some Earth Juice or Pure Blend and see if you even want to continue with hydro before trying to be a mad scientist with the nutes..

I would use a good organic soil, soiless mix, or hydro nute line and be done with it, will save ya from pullin your hair out to much.

Tex

J

Jalisco Kid

There is a large learning curve you must go thru. If you choose this path you will come out ahead. You will know what salts do and how they work in a plant. There are salts if mixed together will lock out other salts etc. You can read a lot and look at other fert comp fert formula. Run their formulas thru a nute calculators.
I started mixing my own in Mex. I looked at GH and AN ran their formulas thru and looked at the salts used. I ordered salts and started killing plants. It is not that hard if you are capable working and learning on your own.
Buy some books like Soil Fertility and Fertilizer by Havlin and Plant Physiology by Taiz. I buy them from ebay and amazon,real cheap.
I would do what TK suggest and buy some ferts to get started. You can learn about salts while you are running into walls learning about running a hydro system. It is a lot to absorb all at once. Suerte JK

N

Nuglover

I think you're making this way more complicated than it has to be. Without experience with mixing nutes, like TK said you're much better off buying premixed. If you're bound and determined to do it your way though, post your results.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Yea exactly. Not saying it cant be done but if you a new at the game you might want to go the store bought route as problems will def arise. Hey man Im not trying to rain on your parade and Im all about the DIYers its juts with something like that i would get the experience first pefore i started playing around with my own nutes.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I am salt free.....100% organic and lovin it...

Tex

J

Jalisco Kid

Yeah TK you slipped down and became a sod buster. lol you will come back to the dark side. JK

Top Bottom