First Time Irrigation setup with DAB pump

• Thread starter TheConnection
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheConnection

TheConnection

Hey Fam!!

Im running a commercial property and we just recently received our DAB pump after many other reviews we went with this one due to its future use with "Dosatron" applications.
I have a few questions as Im running into a bit of a conundrum for how im going to run this set up and lay everything out properly. I have two rooms a veg and a flower room. In my flower room there are 15 trays that i would like to make each its own zone so it can receive the proper nutrients per the schedule each tray is in. We run a perpetual grow cycle by flipping each tray out of the main room. After countless hours, aches and pains of hand watering for so long ive decided to draw something up and see if its possible before i start to spend the money on the equipment needed to complete the project at hand...

My nutrient line I run with is Athena. I have 4 different feeds (4 different reservoirs) for each cycle of growth. Veg feed, Flower 1, Flower 2, and Flower 3. 5th feed would be R.O. flush.
If I had say a 1/16 hp pump inside each feed reservoir plumbed to a manifold with solenoids each flowing toward the main input line of the DAB PUMP and then having the DAB PUMP turn on at the same time the desired feed pumps solenoid opens pumping that feed toward the DAB PUMP then pushing from DAB PUMP out to the proper zone or zone(s).

My questions are if that would work at all for starters....and how would you go about wiring the solenoids of each tray (zone) to the proper feed pump when the feeds change 3 times in flower cycle.
Im not worried so much about veg as its the same all around anyway. My questions are more focused on my one flower room that we have 15 trays in how I would wire them to a sprinkler controller. Could i put everything on a 24 zone controller ? or would i need separate controllers for each feed? Im still new to this irrigation stuff and would just like some feedback on wtf i should ultimately consider doing or possibilities that are better than what im transpiring at the moment....any help would be greatly appreciated !! Thank you all!

gristle

gristle

4 or 5 way manifold off of each reservoir. Use a braided stainless steel hose or something flexible for connections to manifold on reservoir. Or find max number of tables sharing a resv at a given time. Install appropriate manifold and attach flexible tubing with quick connects on your table side.
I am sure you can find a 24zone fertigation controller. Considering you are running commercial, it may be in your budget.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Bottom feed reservoir will make things much easier. No need for pumps from each res. Also cheaper to use air for water column mixing in the res.

What kind of emmiters are you running and is there a pressure requirement? as it can make a difference in what I'm thinking.

Do you have height to take advantage of a gravity fed system with solenoids? Only ask casue would be cheap to setup and eliminate issue with pump failure.

What are you running as a control system?

Have you calculated the GPH needs, head pressure, accounted for the water hammering that usually accompanies these setups?

Have a diagram of the layout and where you plan to put your equipment?

TheConnection

TheConnection

Bottom feed reservoir will make things much easier. No need for pumps from each res. Also cheaper to use air for water column mixing in the res.

What kind of emmiters are you running and is there a pressure requirement? as it can make a difference in what I'm thinking.

Do you have height to take advantage of a gravity fed system with solenoids? Only ask casue would be cheap to setup and eliminate issue with pump failure.

What are you running as a control system?

Have you calculated the GPH needs, head pressure, accounted for the water hammering that usually accompanies these setups?

Have a diagram of the layout and where you plan to put your equipment?
I am running 2 gph woodpeckers with 4 ways so each 3 gallon pot receives 2 angled drippers 💧 @ .5gph each dripper.

I run 10x 3 gallon pots in a 4x8 tray, they are some hearty plants 🌱.

I don’t think I can run a gravity system bc I need to plumb over two doors and then down to each tray.

I have not yet accounted for water hammer yet as I didn’t know if the setup would work and if so then where I would put (water hammer prevention). I was gonna run 1 Hydrawise sprinkler controller 24 zone. But wasn’t sure if that would better than doing 4 Hydrawise 6 zone controllers. Or really how to wire everything properly.
Each reservoir containing different feeds etc.

So if I drill holes and put outlets in the bottom of my reservoirs of each feed then plumb them into the main inlet of the DAB pump I don’t need the other pumps to feed the DAB pump?

TheConnection

TheConnection

Would a relay switch help maybe? For the different feed pumps?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am running 2 gph woodpeckers with 4 ways so each 3 gallon pot receives 2 angled drippers 💧 @ .5gph each dripper.

I run 10x 3 gallon pots in a 4x8 tray, they are some hearty plants 🌱.

I don’t think I can run a gravity system bc I need to plumb over two doors and then down to each tray.

I have not yet accounted for water hammer yet as I didn’t know if the setup would work and if so then where I would put (water hammer prevention). I was gonna run 1 Hydrawise sprinkler controller 24 zone. But wasn’t sure if that would better than doing 4 Hydrawise 6 zone controllers. Or really how to wire everything properly.
Each reservoir containing different feeds etc.

So if I drill holes and put outlets in the bottom of my reservoirs of each feed then plumb them into the main inlet of the DAB pump I don’t need the other pumps to feed the DAB pump?
Correct bottom feed tank use the weight of the water to supply the pump so if you have adequate sized pipe for the gph no need for a pump from the tanks...

so water hammer can be delt with in a few ways. Cheapest to save on placing arrestors or other solutions in the system would be a delay for the solenoid to close after the power to the pump is cut. Like 1-2sec. That will allow pressure to drop before the solenoid closes and eliminate water hammering. Food for thought.

Sounds like a low pressure system so running the feed line from a manifold to each tray from above will provide a couple of benefits. Meaning pumped up to the ceiling and then down to the tray.

You can eliminate most of the nutrient solution that remains in the lines with some planning using vaccum relief valves at the highest point if not using any form of pressure regulation at the tray manifolds.

TheConnection

TheConnection

Correct bottom feed tank use the weight of the water to supply the pump so if you have adequate sized pipe for the gph no need for a pump from the tanks...

so water hammer can be delt with in a few ways. Cheapest to save on placing arrestors or other solutions in the system would be a delay for the solenoid to close after the power to the pump is cut. Like 1-2sec. That will allow pressure to drop before the solenoid closes and eliminate water hammering. Food for thought.

Sounds like a low pressure system so running the feed line from a manifold to each tray from above will provide a couple of benefits. Meaning pumped up to the ceiling and then down to the tray.

You can eliminate most of the nutrient solution that remains in the lines with some planning using vaccum relief valves at the highest point if not using any form of pressure regulation at the tray manifolds.

Yes it is a low pressure system. In total to give you a better perspective there is 15 total trays in the flower room. I have 5 zones each housing 3 trays each zone. so 5x3=15 .

My dilemma is that not all trays have the same feed schedule as we run each zone perpetually so supply is consistent. I'm trying to figure out how I can run separate feeds to each tray if needed. ie; some strains take longer or shorter than others. So in other words if I had 1 zone with 3 trays running all same strain , it would be different then running 3 separate strains with 3 separate feeding schedules in 1 zone , not to mention still having to plumb the rest of that subline to the rest of the other zones with trays that are receiving that same feed.

Each tray should have a manifold? What would it consist of?

Ideally I want the DAB pump to work with whatever feed is scheduled at the time and push feed to all the zones that need that particular feed #1,2,3, etc and open the trays solenoids to feed each tray.
I know it can be done I feel maybe a checkvalve before each tray manifold ( solenoid etc) to allow water in but if the solenoid door is closed it wont feed that particular one tray and bypass it then moments later after subline is drained out by delay
when the proper feed # is being sent down the subline to that same tray's zone it opens then feeding that tray with its correct feed # and would follow through until the cycle of scheduled feeding is over with....

I can envision it in my mind that this sort of works...but sadly i dont know how it could if it were to be possible.

It may have to do with how the pumps in each feed are wired or timed differently with the hydrawise sprinkler controller im going to purchase.

Just wiring 4 different feed pumps to a common wire to feed the zones doesnt seem possible or if it was that there would need to be some sort of delay trigger to signal each feeds pump to turn off before another feeds pump turns on. 3 flower feeds, 1 veg feed.

I believe a filter should be installed before each feed line leaves the reservoir, and I dont have any ideas for pressure regulation as of yet. Open to any...and all..lol...

Thank you all for your support and assistance in the matter at hand. It greatly aids individuals like myself to achieve goals that are innovative or difficult yet still helps other enthusiasts and community followers to overcome common obstacles that are hindered by lack of knowledge and experiences. Thank you for sharing your trials and errors, and the extra brain power it takes to solve fun puzzles like this.

-TC

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes it is a low pressure system. In total to give you a better perspective there is 15 total trays in the flower room. I have 5 zones each housing 3 trays each zone. so 5x3=15 .

My dilemma is that not all trays have the same feed schedule as we run each zone perpetually so supply is consistent. I'm trying to figure out how I can run separate feeds to each tray if needed. ie; some strains take longer or shorter than others. So in other words if I had 1 zone with 3 trays running all same strain , it would be different then running 3 separate strains with 3 separate feeding schedules in 1 zone , not to mention still having to plumb the rest of that subline to the rest of the other zones with trays that are receiving that same feed.

Each tray should have a manifold? What would it consist of?

Ideally I want the DAB pump to work with whatever feed is scheduled at the time and push feed to all the zones that need that particular feed #1,2,3, etc and open the trays solenoids to feed each tray.
I know it can be done I feel maybe a checkvalve before each tray manifold ( solenoid etc) to allow water in but if the solenoid door is closed it wont feed that particular one tray and bypass it then moments later after subline is drained out by delay
when the proper feed # is being sent down the subline to that same tray's zone it opens then feeding that tray with its correct feed # and would follow through until the cycle of scheduled feeding is over with....

I can envision it in my mind that this sort of works...but sadly i dont know how it could if it were to be possible.

It may have to do with how the pumps in each feed are wired or timed differently with the hydrawise sprinkler controller im going to purchase.

Just wiring 4 different feed pumps to a common wire to feed the zones doesnt seem possible or if it was that there would need to be some sort of delay trigger to signal each feeds pump to turn off before another feeds pump turns on. 3 flower feeds, 1 veg feed.

I believe a filter should be installed before each feed line leaves the reservoir, and I dont have any ideas for pressure regulation as of yet. Open to any...and all..lol...

Thank you all for your support and assistance in the matter at hand. It greatly aids individuals like myself to achieve goals that are innovative or difficult yet still helps other enthusiasts and community followers to overcome common obstacles that are hindered by lack of knowledge and experiences. Thank you for sharing your trials and errors, and the extra brain power it takes to solve fun puzzles like this.

-TC
So all tanks to the first manifold with a solenoid on the lines from res and then the pump and another manifold after the pump with solenoids to each feed line.

So 4 solenoids (1 for each tank just before the input manifold)

Then 5 solenoids ( 1 for each zone after pump and output manifold)

When say zone 2 calls it opens the res solenoid and the corresponding solenoid for the zone and energizes the pump

If this fits the bill then you will put a water hammer arrestor between the pump and output manifold or have the pump shut off 1-2 seconds before the solenoid closes.

If this makes sense can go from there with the rest.

TheConnection

TheConnection

So all tanks to the first manifold with a solenoid on the lines from res and then the pump and another manifold after the pump with solenoids to each feed line.

So 4 solenoids (1 for each tank just before the input manifold)

Then 5 solenoids ( 1 for each zone after pump and output manifold)

When say zone 2 calls it opens the res solenoid and the corresponding solenoid for the zone and energizes the pump

If this fits the bill then you will put a water hammer arrestor between the pump and output manifold or have the pump shut off 1-2 seconds before the solenoid closes.

If this makes sense can go from there with the rest.

You are the man! I believe this has substance! We're working with grease now!

So I believe this will work with just the 1 hydrawise 24 zone sprinkler controller.

I can charge each feed line with the pumps going toward input manifold and having a single plumbed pipe go back into same feed so the water has somewhere to go when the solenoid is not open just recirculates back into feed reservoir. And all 4 pumps can be on relay box timer or separate timers all together.

The water hammer arrestors should go after the first input manifold and after the output manifold. Even though you say turning DAB pump off prior to solenoids closing so pressure in the lines can dissipate? I can time this through hydrawise sprinkler controller?

Would I need a backflow preventer in this application ?

I believe its the wiring of the solenoids after theyve reached the desired zone is whats going to be the biggest puzzle for me. Making sure each one of the trays solenoids are opening and closing to desired feed.

:Aquaman: ty again for all your feedback!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You are the man! I believe this has substance! We're working with grease now!

So I believe this will work with just the 1 hydrawise 24 zone sprinkler controller.

I can charge each feed line with the pumps going toward input manifold and having a single plumbed pipe go back into same feed so the water has somewhere to go when the solenoid is not open just recirculates back into feed reservoir. And all 4 pumps can be on relay box timer or separate timers all together.

The water hammer arrestors should go after the first input manifold and after the output manifold. Even though you say turning DAB pump off prior to solenoids closing so pressure in the lines can dissipate? I can time this through hydrawise sprinkler controller?

Would I need a backflow preventer in this application ?

I believe its the wiring of the solenoids after theyve reached the desired zone is whats going to be the biggest puzzle for me. Making sure each one of the trays solenoids are opening and closing to desired feed.

:Aquaman: ty again for all your feedback!
No problem man.

Think some more convo on the arrestor after but depends on end flow rate of emmiters.

So do your emmiters have a psi rating? Because what I'm thinking is from the output manifold you go up to the roof over to the table and down. With a vaccum relief at the top up the up pipe from the pump just after the 90. This means all the line after that will gravity feed leaving very little nutrient solution in the piping. The vaccum relief seals when there is flow and allows air when not to eliminate syphoning

TheConnection

TheConnection

Each 4 way emitter from the 2 gph woodpecker receives 0.5gph per emitter.

I have 5 woodpeckers with a 4 way netafim manifold on each. And 2 emitters in each pot. so 1gph per 3 gallon havent figured out timer ...or how long till 10 run off etc yet.

10 🌱 per tray in 3gallon pots.

So probably roughly 40 psi I believe not sure if my math is right though??

As far as the vacuum relief seals at the top of each tray line? leading to a solenoid immediately after the vacuum relief seals or the solenoid connected to each of the 15 trays instead of 5 zones and 3 trays in each zone? Not to be dense but I just like to be clear on the concept before construction begins and dead presidents are spent... :)

TheConnection

TheConnection

what 90? The elbow at the top of the output line up at the top of the wall (basically almost to the roof?) and then down and out to the zones? And that would imply having a manifold after that to each zone of my 5 flower zones and the 6th being the veg line with all the same feed and no need for extra solenoids I believe just the one at the end of the output manifold. I can ball valve zones of the veg so it wont be irrigated. What kind of vacuum relief seal were you talking about? THIS>>> 1" Vacuum Relief Valve?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

what 90? The elbow at the top of the output line up at the top of the wall (basically almost to the roof?) and then down and out to the zones? And that would imply having a manifold after that to each zone of my 5 flower zones and the 6th being the veg line with all the same feed and no need for extra solenoids I believe just the one at the end of the output manifold. I can ball valve zones of the veg so it wont be irrigated. What kind of vacuum relief seal were you talking about? THIS>>> 1" Vacuum Relief Valve?
Man you all gonna laugh but I have a tiny ass phone and am crayon doodling skill challenged.

Ok need a few here

Top Bottom