First time living soil grower

• Thread starter WakeAndBacon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WakeAndBacon

WakeAndBacon

i have some living soil beds i just made a couple weeks back, they got hot and cooled and i planted my plants a weekish ago; recently they have started showing some signs of distress and im not sure what they are trying to tell me. here are some photos, whats happening? the Mac 69 showed it first but now all my plants are starting to have deformed new growth as pictured. is it magnesium or soemthing?

Image0   copy 2jpeg
Image2   copy 2jpeg
Image5
Image6
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Are you saying you just transplanted these into new soil about a week back?

WakeAndBacon

WakeAndBacon

Are you saying you just transplanted these into new soil about a week back?
ya they were put in on the third or 4th of this month, they came in some tiny pots but i needed to wait for the soil to cool before transplanting:

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
ya they were put in on the third or 4th of this month, they came in some tiny pots but i needed to wait for the soil to cool before transplanting: View attachment 1145358
My guess is that the soil is too nutrient rich, (or pH'd wrong) and that it's having some difficulty making new roots into the surrounding soil.

Some pics of the offending soil? and maybe some backstory on what went into making it? Looks like a lockout of some type, I'm a micro nutrient.
Need more information.

Looks like possible bugs in there also, I would check them closely under the leaves.

Last edited:
WakeAndBacon

WakeAndBacon

My guess is that the soil is too nutrient rich, (or pH'd wrong) and that it's having some difficulty making new roots into the surrounding soil.

Some pics of the offending soil? and maybe some backstory on what went into making it? Looks like a lockout of some type, I'm guessing micro nutrients.
What's in that soil?
soil is mostly "biococo" in each bed with some layers of coast of maine lobster, blueberry, and a local compost and biofish between them with expanded clay for aeration

WakeAndBacon

WakeAndBacon

This pic looks like you’re really over fertilized with the shinny dark green leaves w/burned tips, before you even transplanted.
they came soaking and i only gave them tap water once. some of the other plants have some burning at tips too; it is possible i planted them at the bio fish layer which could be high in nutrients, its what caused the heating initially after building the beds (i think)

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Coco is not good in organic grows because the plants can't eat it.
Since you made the soil, I'm guessing you are going organic, you need to do 2 things.

1. Get some regular dead dirt from the yard and mix that stuff 50/50 and replant.
2. Get a bag of Recharge and use according to the directions for the first week.

WakeAndBacon

WakeAndBacon

Since you made the soil, I'm guessing you are going organic, you need to do 2 things.

1. Get some regular dead dirt from the yard and mix that stuff 50/50 and replant.
2. Get a bag of Recharge and use according to the directions for the first week.
ive added microbes, worms and other life already, im not sure i need recharge. i have 2 4x8 beds already planted im not sure how feasible it is to mix top soil into it at this point.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Ok, then you don't need the recharge. But you still need to cut the mix somehow.
Any ideas?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Ok, then you don't need the recharge. But you still need to cut the mix somehow.
Any ideas?
Probably vigorous flushing would be useless in this particular situation. Thoughts?

WakeAndBacon

WakeAndBacon

Probably vigorous flushing would be useless in this particular situation. Thoughts?
ya cuz there is no runoff, whats this leaf morphology mean though? what nutrient would cause this/ph to interrupt or something locked up. i was hoping mag cuz i forgot to add oyster shells until the end and know calcium mag have some interaction

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter

I'm curious about this statement CN, ie. because the plants can't eat it.

Are you saying this because of the lack of Humic substance content within coco?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

ya cuz there is no runoff, whats this leaf morphology mean though? what nutrient would cause this/ph to interrupt or something locked up. i was hoping mag cuz i forgot to add oyster shells until the end and know calcium mag have some interaction
Manganese could be it. It's not as common in soil as it used to be.
I have a bottle of multi-vitamin and Mineral capsules that are all natural from herbal stores. I had an issue with an outdoor plant and broke open a capsule and watered it in. Solved it.

But your main issue is to somehow cut the soil.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm curious about this statement CN, ie. because the plants can't eat it.

Are you saying this because of the lack of Humic substance content within coco?
Yeah, along those lines, and mostly because coco eats mag like crazy and will screw an organic grow.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yeah, along those lines, and mostly because coco eats mag like crazy and will screw an organic grow.
So if it was attempted, would need fractions of humics/fluvics, maybe something along the lines of dolimite lime and/or something like this... amended into the soil. The reason why I ask is I've thought about attempting it.

Seems like if it could be controlled, there would be many upsides to it.

IMG 20210712 191634998
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yeah, exactly. I don't attempt it for 2 reasons, it's easier this way and I'm getting to enjoy being lazy on occasion.
And the second reason is I just do not have the room to do any real 'spermints.

WakeAndBacon

WakeAndBacon

So if it was attempted, would need fractions of humics/fluvics, maybe something along the lines of dolimite lime and/or something like this... amended into the soil. The reason why I ask is I've thought about attempting it.

Seems like if it could be controlled, there would be many upsides to it.
not sure how magnesium shavings would help in the coir. if you think its magnesium whats wrong with epsom salts?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm going to have to find the page I read again. It was on coco as a medium in the garden. But I know that it absorbs magnesium.
The general thought was that is is not a good soil substitute for garden growers because it does not break down that same way... (assuming they were all organic)

Top Bottom