First time nft grower, some help, mainly on nutrients

• Thread starter YouCantSeeMe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

YouCantSeeMe

Hi all, my names redacted,

I'm in the process of setting up my first nft hydro grow and I'm struggling in choosing my nutrients/additives.

Basically it comes down to the cost/effectiveness scale, in the past few days I've researched as much as I can about nutes as you guys call them and it seems that it goes like this, self made is both cheaper and better, gh flora is commenly rated as the best along with Jack's, masterblend and botanicare are alright, advanced nutrients and dutchpro are the devil, sag gff and calex (that might be wrong) are the best of their type and advised. I've seen mention of many others of course but the either aren't available in the EU or when I see the price it puts me off.

I'm not trying to skimp but I am trying to be cost effective. I'd like the best grow I can. Gh flora seems like it'd cost me 100 for a 3 maybe 4 month supply of the base 3, then there's the extras. I can't get jack, advanced nutrients would cost about 75 for the same base supply but devil, masterblend would cost me about 60 for the base 3 but doesn't seem to be highly rated. All this leads me to DIY being the best and most cost effective especially in the long run. But then I get slightly lost in, schedules, amounts and what's needed.

For what I've got setup it's currently like this:

1.3x1.2x2m grow tent (estimated based on the grotank fitting with little spare space and it being slightly taller than me at 6.2)
Gt100 grotank
160l/ph water pump
Dual port air pump connected to 2 air stones
Exhausted carbon filter, fan and ducting on intake
Fan, ducting and active carbon filter on exhaust
Temp/Humidity sensors
Water temp sensor
400w led grow light (I forget the brand, its a few years old but only seen 600hrs use at most)

Doing a test of everything this is what I know.

The water sits between 16.5 and 19 dependant on time of day and if the lights on
The tent sits at 24.5 with fans on, light off and no plants
The air pump causes visable movement of the water (which has a 110ish ppm reading poured from the tap)
The water pump provides a good even flow over the tray.
Air movement is felt in the tent, it slightly balloons when fully sealed, I only mention it in case it's an issue, I doubt it but just in case.

Current plans:
6-9 plants (possibly 3 different strains)
Start off in Coco choir in net/mesh pots hand watered before transferring to tray
18-6 Veg (I mention this because I've seen people say 14.5 gives a better chance of females, one strain I would like I cannot find femanized so maybe 14.5 would be beneficial) for 4ish weeks (dependant on growth)
12-12 flower for 6-8ish weeks (again dependant on the signs)
Netting will be used for support when required
Lollilopping/sog is an option but is a wait and see kind of thing in some aspects

Here's what I'm unsure of:

Base pH hasn't yet been tested, I need to calibrate my pH tester so that's on order
The tray cover is blue, been debating if I should add a reflective sheet to it or if it'd be a waste of time as eventually light won't get to it when they get so big
What nutes to actually use and best practices/schedules besides the weekly flush and clean of the resivoiur.

So after getting slightly lost now I'm here asking for advice on nutrients in general. Should I take the financial hit and buy something premade or should I bite the bullet and go DIY. If DIY can I get some help in planning out an effective plan for my grow. Eu/amazon suppliers are the easiest for me and I do plan on growing a while although a 5 year supply may be out of my current budget.

Some assistance in this would be greatly appreciated as this is a medicinal thing and the cost is ridiculous on the street when the Dr's won't listen to the fact that this is the best pain relief I have ever experienced.

Thank you all

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hi all, my names redacted,

I'm in the process of setting up my first nft hydro grow and I'm struggling in choosing my nutrients/additives.

Basically it comes down to the cost/effectiveness scale, in the past few days I've researched as much as I can about nutes as you guys call them and it seems that it goes like this, self made is both cheaper and better, gh flora is commenly rated as the best along with Jack's, masterblend and botanicare are alright, advanced nutrients and dutchpro are the devil, sag gff and calex (that might be wrong) are the best of their type and advised. I've seen mention of many others of course but the either aren't available in the EU or when I see the price it puts me off.

I'm not trying to skimp but I am trying to be cost effective. I'd like the best grow I can. Gh flora seems like it'd cost me 100 for a 3 maybe 4 month supply of the base 3, then there's the extras. I can't get jack, advanced nutrients would cost about 75 for the same base supply but devil, masterblend would cost me about 60 for the base 3 but doesn't seem to be highly rated. All this leads me to DIY being the best and most cost effective especially in the long run. But then I get slightly lost in, schedules, amounts and what's needed.

For what I've got setup it's currently like this:

1.3x1.2x2m grow tent (estimated based on the grotank fitting with little spare space and it being slightly taller than me at 6.2)
Gt100 grotank
160l/ph water pump
Dual port air pump connected to 2 air stones
Exhausted carbon filter, fan and ducting on intake
Fan, ducting and active carbon filter on exhaust
Temp/Humidity sensors
Water temp sensor
400w led grow light (I forget the brand, its a few years old but only seen 600hrs use at most)

Doing a test of everything this is what I know.

The water sits between 16.5 and 19 dependant on time of day and if the lights on
The tent sits at 24.5 with fans on, light off and no plants
The air pump causes visable movement of the water (which has a 110ish ppm reading poured from the tap)
The water pump provides a good even flow over the tray.
Air movement is felt in the tent, it slightly balloons when fully sealed, I only mention it in case it's an issue, I doubt it but just in case.

Current plans:
6-9 plants (possibly 3 different strains)
Start off in Coco choir in net/mesh pots hand watered before transferring to tray
18-6 Veg (I mention this because I've seen people say 14.5 gives a better chance of females, one strain I would like I cannot find femanized so maybe 14.5 would be beneficial) for 4ish weeks (dependant on growth)
12-12 flower for 6-8ish weeks (again dependant on the signs)
Netting will be used for support when required
Lollilopping/sog is an option but is a wait and see kind of thing in some aspects

Here's what I'm unsure of:

Base pH hasn't yet been tested, I need to calibrate my pH tester so that's on order
The tray cover is blue, been debating if I should add a reflective sheet to it or if it'd be a waste of time as eventually light won't get to it when they get so big
What nutes to actually use and best practices/schedules besides the weekly flush and clean of the resivoiur.

So after getting slightly lost now I'm here asking for advice on nutrients in general. Should I take the financial hit and buy something premade or should I bite the bullet and go DIY. If DIY can I get some help in planning out an effective plan for my grow. Eu/amazon suppliers are the easiest for me and I do plan on growing a while although a 5 year supply may be out of my current budget.

Some assistance in this would be greatly appreciated as this is a medicinal thing and the cost is ridiculous on the street when the Dr's won't listen to the fact that this is the best pain relief I have ever experienced.

Thank you all
I used 4 inch pipe and dilled holes in at 1 foot intervals,and bought fittings to connect them all and drain into a common pipe and just put a feed line at the end of each one through a small hole to keep it from coming out,no emitter needed,later i just ran a seperate 1/2 inch line to each pipe with a valve on each one. which made it really easy to flush between replacing solution. I ran GH 3 part.

Y

YouCantSeeMe

I already have the emitter (correx sheet) and will be cutting out spaces for the pots, only thought was that its blue and adding a reflective sheet to it might be beneficial.

For draining I was planning on using the water pump with a separate line to the nearest drsin, assuming its powerful enough to do so anyway.

I've done some more reading up on nutrients and now know masterblend is very similar to this Jack's that everyone raves on about so as it'll cost 60 for the base set unless I figure out DIY nutes I may just go with that. I'm thinking I should probably have some kind of additive on hand to combat root rot just in case, or at least know what I need if the problem arises, great white seems the next best after sag gff and is available. As to increasing growth during flower I'd be open to recommendations also.

Top Bottom