First time SCROG, how's it looking?...

• Thread starter SMCelite36
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SMCelite36

This is my second grow, first auto grow, and my first time using a SCROG/trellis net. Just looking for advice, they're still pretty early into flower (about a week or so), not sure if I should just leave the canopy the way it is, just let it fill out, and ride it out until harvest, or if there's anything I can improve without stressing my girls out too much. Thanks!

First time scrog hows it looking
First time scrog hows it looking 2
First time scrog hows it looking 3
First time scrog hows it looking 4
First time scrog hows it looking 5
Newty

Newty

I just did my first not to long ago so I can't really comment on quality, it looks good to me though.

You might of already thought of this but when your first doing it and anytime you go to tuck more once they grow some, be careful of what is flexing below, I had a thicker branch on a Y that was created from topping flex and crack some. I should of been a little more careful and held that branch while I tucked the top of it, luckily it didn't seem to hurt it, the branch is still growing fast and strong.

S

SMCelite36

I just did my first not to long ago so I can't really comment on quality, it looks good to me though.

You might of already thought of this but when your first doing it and anytime you go to tuck more once they grow some, be careful of what is flexing below, I had a thicker branch on a Y that was created from topping flex and crack some. I should of been a little more careful and held that branch while I tucked the top of it, luckily it didn't seem to hurt it, the branch is still growing fast and strong.
Yeah, I definitely appreciate the advice. I've been a bit heavy handed already, I accidentally topped my bigger plant, which luckily turned out pretty well, and I snapped one branch doing LST, but it seems to have healed after being taped, and is starting to bounce back. There's a lot to learn, I'm just taking notes for the next grow at this point. lol

Newty

Newty

Yeah, I definitely appreciate the advice. I've been a bit heavy handed already, I accidentally topped my bigger plant, which luckily turned out pretty well, and I snapped one branch doing LST, but it seems to have healed after being taped, and is starting to bounce back. There's a lot to learn, I'm just taking notes for the next grow at this point. lol
It's actually pretty amazing what a plant can bounce back from!
I'm right with you on taking notes for the next grow, my first Scrog was just 4-5 days ago.
Did you just put up the Scrog today? You should be pretty impressed with the results in a couple days!

I made a thread a couple days ago in the grow diaries section of my first Scrog, check it out sometime if you want. I should of put mine up earlier though.

I know some people setup there net and just wait for the plant to grow into it and then start directing/tucking them, idk if there's an additional benefit to this way or not.

AnomalousGrows

AnomalousGrows

That looks like a pretty good scrog to me but I was wondering what are the dimensions on your tent if you don’t mind me asking 👀 I’m a new grower just got a small tent so I’m going to have to scrog so I wanted to know for reference purposes mines is 2x2x4 😅

S

SMCelite36

I'm right with you on taking notes for the next grow, my first Scrog was just 4-5 days ago.
Did you just put up the Scrog today? You should be pretty impressed with the results in a couple days!

I made a thread a couple days ago in the grow diaries section of my first Scrog, check it out sometime if you want. I should of put mine up earlier though.

I know some people setup there net and just wait for the plant to grow into it and then start directing/tucking them, idk if there's an additional benefit to this way or Tha

I know some people setup there net and just wait for the plant to grow into it and then start directing/tucking them, idk if there's an additional benefit to this way or not.
That's awesome, I'll definitely check it out for sure. I put the net up about 18 hours ago, I started out doing LST, and planned on just doing that the whole way through, but the plants got a bit out of hand, I figured it would be much more efficient to put up a SCROG net. LST is easier when you're dealing with a topped photoperiod plant that's super symmetrical, that you can defoliate the hell out of, without having to worry about the stress too much, but autoflowers are on a timeline, and stress can set you back a bunch, so im just tryna to be as efficient as possible.

S

SMCelite36

That looks like a pretty good scrog to me but I was wondering what are the dimensions on your tent if you don’t mind me asking 👀 I’m a new grower just got a small tent so I’m going to have to scrog so I wanted to know for reference purposes mines is 2x2x4 😅
My tent is a 4x4. If you stretch 1 plant a bit, you could fill a 2x2 pretty nicely. I could a fit 4 in mine and filled the tent. I'm certainly not an expert tho. lol

S

SMCelite36

You're going to want to lollipop everything under the canopy that doesn't reach it. Whatever growth you have going on below the canopy line will rob energy from your canopy flowers.
Yeah, I plan on doing that in a few days to give some of the lower growth a chance to stretch, and possibly reach the canopy. Whatever doesn't, will be chopped. ✂️

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
This is my second grow, first auto grow, and my first time using a SCROG/trellis net. Just looking for advice, they're still pretty early into flower (about a week or so), not sure if I should just leave the canopy the way it is, just let it fill out, and ride it out until harvest, or if there's anything I can improve without stressing my girls out too much. Thanks!
Looking good! You’ll want to remove all leaves and bud sites below the net, looks like you’re around week 2 of flower, usually around day 21 is a good defol point, check for any herms in the lowers while you remove the leaves and bud sites , when you’re done you’ll want no leaves from the dirt level up to about a inch or 2 below the net, you may remove those later but I like to do it in stages, im just gettin ready for my next run once my 4x4 finishes then I’ll load up the other tent

Those 2 plants finished yielded 640g in a 2’x4’ net (the lower picture has 2x 2x4 scrogs)

Shortly after this top pic was taken all the leaves between those 2 nets and down we’re all removed everything above the top net stayed

Here’s a pic of a previous scrog as well as the other tent I have set up I was taking about

IMG 2619
IMG 2608
Last edited:
S

SMCelite36

Looking good! You’ll want to remove all leaves and bud sites below the net, looks like you’re around week 2 of flower, usually around day 21 is a good defol point, check for any herms in the lowers while you remove the leaves and bud sites , when you’re done you’ll want no leaves from the dirt level up to about a inch or 2 below the net, you may remove those later but I like to do it in stages, im just gettin ready for my next run once my 4x4 finishes then I’ll load up the other tent

Here’s a pic of a previous scrog as well as the other tent I have set up I was taking about

Good looking out, I'm definitely learning everyday! That's a hell of a setup you got there, are those autos, they look big as shit? Those branches up top are reaching like crazy. lol. If they are autos, what week of flower are they?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Good looking out, I'm definitely learning everyday! That's a hell of a setup you got there, are those autos, they look big as shit? Those branches up top are reaching like crazy. lol. If they are autos, what week of flower are they?
These are photos, that pic was about week 2 from flip just finished stretch (over stretched but worked out great 🤣) I’ll look for some pics of it late in flower so you can see the difference

S

ScroggerDave

Those 2 plants finished yielded 640g in a 2’x4’ net (the lower picture has 2x 2x4 scrogs)

Shortly after this top pic was taken all the leaves between those 2 nets and down we’re all removed everything above the top net stayed

OP, the above frames are a great way to scrog if you want to allow the scrog net to handle the lst for you. By that, I mean you’re gently tucking growth under the net when growth is taller than one square of the scrog net. The net functions as lst clips in this scenario. Here’s a tent-clippable 5x5 frame I built recently. The hole spacing size (3” below) is very important for easily tucking branches before they get too stiff.
IMG 0695

The goal is to train the plant to the net, not move the net to the plant. For that reason, it’s important for the net to be taught.

OR, don’t worry about anything I said and enjoy your grow, which looks great!

S

SMCelite36

OP, the above frames are a great way to scrog if you want to allow the scrog net to handle the lst for you. By that, I mean you’re gently tucking growth under the net when growth is taller than one square of the scrog net. The net functions as lst clips in this scenario. Here’s a tent-clippable 5x5 frame I built recently. The hole spacing size (3” below) is very important for easily tucking branches before they get too stiff.
View attachment 2125096

The goal is to train the plant to the net, not move the net to the plant. For that reason, it’s important for the net to be taught.

I appreciate the input, it all helps. Yeah, I know this is more of a trellis grow, as opposed to a true "SCROG", I put the net up late, bringing it down to the canopy, as opposed to letting the canopy grow into it. I did it moreso to maximize light, while also helping with LST, seeing as they got bushy, and in an effort to not stress them out by doing too much defoliation, this is what I came up with. lol. Next grow will be better, and so on, as the cycle continues. I'm learning the habits and temperaments of autos, stress threshold, etc., that way I can dial in, and get the most out of my next grow.

S

SMCelite36

Found a few

2nd and 3rd pics are about a week before harvest
Those look dense as hell, good shit! I'm working with a 400w led this grow, hoping I can still get some dense buds. That's why im using the trellis, I wanna maximize my light. This is my "test" grow, next one will be a proper SCROG with 6 girls in a 5x5 under a 720w light.

S

SMCelite36

View attachment 2125096

At what point should I stop tucking on an auto SCROG, I'm at about week 2 of flower, so the buds are already developing?

S

SMCelite36

Progress pics, week... 3 of flower?... Idk, I lost track... lol

63c87e06 3e2a 4933 ace9 92e2778adf05
IMG 20240229 141404339
Top Bottom