First time trying IPM help please

• Thread starter Lockeboxgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Quick version: is this safe to spray on my plants Indoors while the lights are off?

So basically I want to get into ipm.
I've used diatomaceous earth on the soil and perimeter of my tent, as well as wiping the tent walls and floor with neem oil from time to time.
Recently my work went from 7 days a week to 6 so now I have a little more time to get involved.
I bought this spray a while back but haven't been able to use it conveniently yet because the lights are off while I'm at work and on when I'm home.
Now that I have one day I week where I can spray the plants down without the lights on, I'm considering doing it but cautious.
Has anyone ever used this stuff on plants before? Safer brand insect killing soap
First time trying ipm help please

Observationist

Observationist

Few people here have been recommending safers

I have not used it but some will chime in surely eventually

Cheers

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I used it on smaller plants. Say, 6 to 12 inch that I saw A few pests getting started and the plants took about a week to recover so be careful. I wouldn’t use it unless I could rinse it off with water after about an hour. I don’t like the soap type concoctions for IPM. I use pure crop 1 For IPM and the plants love it. Just my experience. Good luck!

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

I used it on smaller plants. Say, 6 to 12 inch that I saw A few pests getting started and the plants took about a week to recover so be careful. I wouldn’t use it unless I could rinse it off with water after about an hour. I don’t like the soap type concoctions for IPM. I use pure crop 1 For IPM and the plants love it. Just my experience. Good luck!
Cool man thanks for the feedback, I've decided to hold off today and take the next week to think about it possibly look into other routes. I've caught a couple gnats on yellow sticky traps in the tent but nothing really outside of that, I did have spider mites in a grow I did in one of my closets a while back so that's my main reason to implement an ipm. still just in the preventative phase so definitely don't want to harm the plants if not needed

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
But I don’t grow indoors. Take that into consideration. Just my feeling that’s the soaps and oils tend to clog up the plants respiratory system. But they do work on infestations if you can rinse them off after they do their job. And on your outdoor plants, don’t be afraid to give them a good solid hosing down with water on a warm day before the sun gets directly on them. I hosed mine down till they look like wet dogs and then a half hour they are perky and clean and loving it. L O L

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Would it be alright to hose down my outdoor plants in the hot afternoon in the shade? I work 3 am-3 pm so I can't really get to them before the sun however where they sit they get direct sunlight from sunrise to about 2 or 3 pm then sit in shade the rest and hottest of the day

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I wouldn’t hesitate. But my humidity around here is like 15%. So pick a day with a lower humidity if you can. Or a breezy day. It’s kind of fun too Hose them down and then come back and see how they have recovered. Makes them seem more human! L O L

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Awesome I think I'll do just that. I love watching them recover like you're saying after we get a good rain. It's fun to see the change and I swear you can almost tell that they feel good and happy haha it's a great feeling
I wouldn’t hesitate. But my humidity around here is like 15%. So pick a day with a lower humidity if you can. Or a breezy day. It’s kind of fun too Hose them down and then come back and see how they have recovered. Makes them seem more human! L O L

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Sorry for being long-winded, but way back in the day growers would start their plants in half gallon milk cartons till they were about 2 feet tall and then transport them out into the holes out in the wild. When I first got up there a guy had like 100 of them sitting in a low riding type enclosure that could be covered at night if necessary. They were close to 2 feet tall and he laid into them with that hose and blasted the fuck out of them! When he was finished they were all laying add a 45° angle or worse and look like hell. Came back in an hour and they were straight and tall and praying. Resilient plants.

bighempn

bighempn

Quick version: is this safe to spray on my plants Indoors while the lights are off?

So basically I want to get into ipm.
I've used diatomaceous earth on the soil and perimeter of my tent, as well as wiping the tent walls and floor with neem oil from time to time.
Recently my work went from 7 days a week to 6 so now I have a little more time to get involved.
I bought this spray a while back but haven't been able to use it conveniently yet because the lights are off while I'm at work and on when I'm home.
Now that I have one day I week where I can spray the plants down without the lights on, I'm considering doing it but cautious.
Has anyone ever used this stuff on plants before? Safer brand insect killing soap
View attachment 1256807
I don’t have first had experience with that particular one but if you want a great ipm option that won’t hurt your plants and is natural, try plant therapy. Other things I like to use are micronized wettable sulfur powder. You have to be careful when using sulfur powder because it can harm your plants(burns holes in leaves) if you use too much. Sulfur powder will put the hurt on any sort bodied insects like thrips, broad/ russet mites, spider mites etc, and it also knocks out any PM trying to set up shop. FYI, DO NOT EVER SPRAY SULFUR IN FLOWER. Buds will smell and taste of it. Another good ipm is amazing doctor zymes. Again, great for the two main culprits, PM and mites, this stuff is organically fermented citric acid. Works pretty well against gnats and white flies too. You can spray this stuff in flower (I’ve done this personally) but watch out, if you use too much, I will burn the pistil hairs and turn them brown but this happened to me and a few days later they grew new ones and where nice and white again. The last one is suspend SC and this is NOT for your plants but you can spray all around your house/ grow room on floors and walls etc. this stuff works really well for all insects and leaves a barrier non-toxic to humans once drier but wreaks Havokk on pests for months after treatment.

Anyway, that’s some stuff I use with great results for IPM. Hope this helps and good luck!

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

I don’t have first had experience with that particular one but if you want a great ipm option that won’t hurt your plants and is natural, try plant therapy. Other things I like to use are micronized wettable sulfur powder. You have to be careful when using sulfur powder because it can harm your plants(burns holes in leaves) if you use too much. Sulfur powder will put the hurt on any sort bodied insects like thrips, broad/ russet mites, spider mites etc, and it also knocks out any PM trying to set up shop. FYI, DO NOT EVER SPRAY SULFUR IN FLOWER. Buds will smell and taste of it. Another good ipm is amazing doctor zymes. Again, great for the two main culprits, PM and mites, this stuff is organically fermented citric acid. Works pretty well against gnats and white flies too. You can spray this stuff in flower (I’ve done this personally) but watch out, if you use too much, I will burn the pistil hairs and turn them brown but this happened to me and a few days later they grew new ones and where nice and white again. The last one is suspend SC and this is NOT for your plants but you can spray all around your house/ grow room on floors and walls etc. this stuff works really well for all insects and leaves a barrier non-toxic to humans once drier but wreaks Havokk on pests for months after treatment.

Anyway, that’s some stuff I use with great results for IPM. Hope this helps and good luck!
Awesome man that's a lot of great info and much appreciated. LOL you've got me kicking myself now because I remember very strongly in my mind the day I bought this insect killing soap there was a bottle of that doctor zymes on the shelf right below it. I've actually got to swing in that store after work tomorrow to get a bag of Happy frog for one of my transplants so I'll definitely check it out and see if they have any of that plant therapy too, very interested in that

bighempn

bighempn

Awesome man that's a lot of great info and much appreciated. LOL you've got me kicking myself now because I remember very strongly in my mind the day I bought this insect killing soap there was a bottle of that doctor zymes on the shelf right below it. I've actually got to swing in that store after work tomorrow to get a bag of Happy frog for one of my transplants so I'll definitely check it out and see if they have any of that plant therapy too, very interested in that
No prop brotha. Just be careful if you use the micronized wettable sulfur powder. The stuff I use, I get from my buddy at my hydro store so not sure of the brand but I only use 1-2 grams per gallon and I usually dunk my clones in it, let it dry for about a hr (no lights on ) and then wash it off. I do this mainly because I’ve had holes burned in my leaves once. Not the end of the world, but it did hurt them a bit and recovery slows growth in any case.

Plant therapy is a great maintenance ipm but does jack$#!¥ if you have an active infestation fyi. It will knock down the numbers of most pests but it’s not a be all-end all. Most products aren’t unless they are systemic though in my experience.

As for the doctor zymes, just be careful using it if plants are flowering. I sprayed on my last run during wk 3 in fear of russet mites returning and it burned the pistils and turned brown but after a few days a new set grew in and they were cool. It even says it on the bottle to wash after 1 hr to help prevent phytotoxicity. I ran it a bit too strong though because I’ve sprayed in flower before at weaker strength and had zero problems.
lol I know I sound redundant but trust, learn from my mistakes. Most pests get into your garden from you bring them in like on your clothes or on infested plants. Good luck!

7munkee

7munkee

What exactly are you trying to achieve here? Do you have an infestation of some kind or is this just a preventative measure? Personally, I'd look into something a little more biofriendly. Nematodes and or ladybugs for an infestation. sticky bug traps for the flyers that escape the ladybugs.

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

What exactly are you trying to achieve here? Do you have an infestation of some kind or is this just a preventative measure? Personally, I'd look into something a little more biofriendly. Nematodes and or ladybugs for an infestation. sticky bug traps for the flyers that escape the ladybugs.
This is just preventative measure. I've had a spider mite Infestation in the past but that was in an old closet before I got my tent. No sign of bugs or Mites yet just trying to keep it that way lol. I appreciate the feedback!

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

No prop brotha. Just be careful if you use the micronized wettable sulfur powder. The stuff I use, I get from my buddy at my hydro store so not sure of the brand but I only use 1-2 grams per gallon and I usually dunk my clones in it, let it dry for about a hr (no lights on ) and then wash it off. I do this mainly because I’ve had holes burned in my leaves once. Not the end of the world, but it did hurt them a bit and recovery slows growth in any case.

Plant therapy is a great maintenance ipm but does jack$#!¥ if you have an active infestation fyi. It will knock down the numbers of most pests but it’s not a be all-end all. Most products aren’t unless they are systemic though in my experience.

As for the doctor zymes, just be careful using it if plants are flowering. I sprayed on my last run during wk 3 in fear of russet mites returning and it burned the pistils and turned brown but after a few days a new set grew in and they were cool. It even says it on the bottle to wash after 1 hr to help prevent phytotoxicity. I ran it a bit too strong though because I’ve sprayed in flower before at weaker strength and had zero problems.
lol I know I sound redundant but trust, learn from my mistakes. Most pests get into your garden from you bring them in like on your clothes or on infested plants. Good luck!
Right on yeah man the plant therapy might be good for me as I'm just doing some preventative stuff and not actually battling anything, that I know of atleast.

The house I rent is old and in the country so it's not uncommon for outside pests to try and find their way In.

I'm doing some outdoor plants as well as my indoor and I always take care of the outdoor first, then shower and change all my clothes before tending my indoor. And If I don't shower everytime I make damn sure to take off any clothes I had on outside and still wash my hands and arms

Top Bottom