First time with DTW. Some questions...

• Thread starter Protaide
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Protaide

Coming from a mostly hand water background (save for one flood /drain trial); I've gotten the itch to try DTW. I've been reading for a while about various methods, acquiring parts and testing mediums available to me. I've just got things going, but there's still a couple items I'm not totally positive about. I know some here have / are doing DTW and could possibly provide advice; or maybe point me to some threads I may have missed.

To provide some details about the components then;

1 - gallon Air Pots
70% perlite / 30% peat moss medium
(I played with "stock" bag potting mix, 50/50 and think the 70/30 may be best for this system; though I've yet to try 80/20)
small Plastic res tank
Shrflo pump and cap art timer.
Bubble style dripper

So then questions;

-What is the typical range (mainly upper) of EC for DTW? I know it's typically lower than hand. From what I can find; EC. 1.0 - 1.4 is this correct?

-For each interval of water; should I run enough to drain XX% each time or should it take multiple intervals to reach drain potential? From what I can find; 10% drain each time, is this correct since it's peat based?

-For optimal time in between watering; What percentage of "container weight" change (if any) should there be in between watering? I've not been able to find much here. Coming from hand water, of course, I'm used to a large weight drop before watering, but not sure with DTW for delay.
Would this possibly be based largely on the waste EC level here?

Thank you for any pointers, advice or threads you may be able to provide.

stonestacker

stonestacker

Hi. Kinda surprised you have no replies. I run DTW but just on my third crop. In 4 gallon drip-n-gro buckets, Grodan grow-cubes. So things are quite a bit different than yours.
My EC is 2.3 with no sign of burn still vegging to fill the scrog. I usually use ppm @ EC x 700 with ppm around 1200 -1550. I feed every hour 24/7. I watch my run off to make sure I get some but not to much. start at 10 sec. feed and increase up to 20 as needed. I also watch to make sure cubes don't dry out and kill roots.
I never did find much on DTW so I just play it by ear. read a lot Here and apply what I can. Have friends that hand water. Some like what I'm doing and are switching over to DTW. I have had really good luck with KISS. I try not to overthink shit.
I collect my runoff and use it in my vegetable garden and trees around the yard. I hate to waste anything.

Hope this helps some. Stonestacker

P

Protaide

Thank you very much for your input and reply! I wondered about not getting replies also, but figured it was related to one of two things. A. I asked too basic of questions that might make some think I've not read on my own. B. Since many say you have to "feel" it out; possibly no one wants to lead astray.

I'm pretty sure there will be some differences between my peat based medium and the coir / chow / hydroton that most people run; trick is to figure it out heh. I know that many who have tried peat in the past; go back to, or prefer coir. I don't have easy access to coir though, so hopefully I'll nail down all the differences over time.

Question if it's okay. Do you water enough to get some run-off at each watering? Do you run the same EC the whole way through? One last kinda dumb question, I assume that you water more later in bloom that early?

ATM, I'm running an EC of 1.3-1.2 depending on the stage. I started with 1.4 EC but got some N+ issues. Though my mix prolly has a CEC of 15, so that makes sense there.
I'm watering appx 10-15 sec every 2 hours, but only during the "lights on" period. There is none given at night. Though, the peat mix could probably go a whole day without "drying" completely.

So far, I'm happy with the performance of the system. Specimens in the week 1-3 grow phenomenal and I'm also real happy with my late growth weeks 6-9. However, it seems like in week 4-6 I get about 50% of the growth I used to get when I handwatered. So, I've still got to figure out the right profile / watering schedule there.

Thank you again for your reply and I welcome any other input that fellow members here may be able to offer.

stonestacker

stonestacker

As far as run off I don't know I check daily. I just graduated my runoff drumm yesterday to better track run off to feed amounts. Yes I chang my ppms weeks 1-3, 4-6, 7, 8, and three day flush in total dark. Yes I increase feed time to get run off as the plants get bigger.
I'm really just starting this hobby so I feel I don't know shit. But I lost a small seed start after two weeks because the rockwool dried out and killed the roots so I tend to keep stuff wet. And it was the only Green crack seed I had.

@Prime C does DTF [drip to floor] He might have some insight for you.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Im not sure about using a peat moss medium I run coco. With DTW keep it moist and make sure to get some runoff at every watering. Dont want it to dry out too much to avoid salt build up. Im in 1 gal pots now for a current run with multiple feeds. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom