First time with trees

• Thread starter HookedonPonics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

I'm currently setting up my first vert room ever, never done trees only thing close was 6 plants per 4x8 table under 2kw. Im going to run a 9 site UC with 12 vert 600's and four horizontal 1000w above. Does this sound about right as far as wattage? Also what size centers would someone recommend for this set up and is 9' tall ceilings enough space to grow trees with vert and horizontal lighting in a 13 g UC?

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

What's your room size? I run hybrid lighting with my uc now. I have ran verts around my uc trees since day one. I'm also running 6 sites a room in 13gal. Imo 8 verts around 6 will do the job. I would, and do, a hood over each site. I run 50in by 55in centers now and wish I had 70in centers. It's all about how big you want your trees. I'd be shooting for 6ft by 6ft trees with that space and 9ft in hight to work with. I now shoot for 5 1/2 - 6ft in hight and I look to fill in all my space between centers, giving me about 5ft wide trees. Hope this helps some.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

My space is 20x 20 so I have plenty of room. Are you saying a 1000w for each plant because that will for sure be over the btu's I have available for cooling. What would you think about nine 600w as my horizontals. I want to be able to achieve 2lb trees in this setup eventually without having to change much down the road, I'd like to have everything set the right way first. Would 60" centers be a good starting point or should I just go all the way with 65" or 70" centers?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
My space is 20x 20 so I have plenty of room. Are you saying a 1000w for each plant because that will for sure be over the btu's I have available for cooling. What would you think about nine 600w as my horizontals. I want to be able to achieve 2lb trees in this setup eventually without having to change much down the road, I'd like to have everything set the right way first. Would 60" centers be a good starting point or should I just go all the way with 65" or 70" centers?

you have the same space as me. I'm thinking of going 9 plants, 16 vert 1k and 600 over head in non vented umbrella reflectors. If not I will do 6 plants, double stack a 1k over a 600 (12 sets) and 1k overhead. Then I may run plants along the wall wall o' dank style if I get ambitious and a little cocky.

I would say 60" centers minimum. All4 is right 70" is more ideal, but with 60's you can do well. Depends on the strain too.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter

how much cooling you got? With nine plants I recommend 7 tons.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

you have the same space as me. I'm thinking of going 9 plants, 16 vert 1k and 600 over head in non vented umbrella reflectors. If not I will do 6 plants, double stack a 1k over a 600 (12 sets) and 1k overhead. Then I may run plants along the wall wall o' dank style if I get ambitious and a little cocky.

I would say 60" centers minimum. All4 is right 70" is more ideal, but with 60's you can do well. Depends on the strain too.

Nice... how many Amps are you playing with? 400?

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

I've got a 600 amp pole so I've got plenty of power. I have a 5 ton unit as of right now but after calculating in y'all's suggestions for lighting it looks ill be adding a one or two ton split to the room sometime soon. Which will be good just in time for summer too. I was thinking of air cooling my horizontals and leaving the verts bare. If each kw bare produces 6000 btus, and each kw vented produces 4000 btus. So with nine 600w air cooled and twelve 600w bare, that would come to around 64800 btu's. I think I'd be able to squeek by with another ton of cooling. Hey cap, you said you run 1000w verts and are considering double stacking them? Would you recommend I start with 1000w verts instead of 600's. I've grown trees outdoors for years and have 2 yrs of experience in the UC so this isn't a long shot for me. I'm new to growing with verts completely and want to set this room up right the first time so all of y'all's help is appreciated.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

1000 for verts + and 600 above is enough imo. I run 1000's everywhere and I am sure I could drop to 600's and get the same up above.. Adding extra air is the way to go too. I am not a fan of cooled hoods so I'll keep my mouth shut... ;) I'm all for bare bulbs and excess ac... Now that I see Cap is running verts on the outer corners it looks like I need to rethink the worth of those corner lights. I didn't see them being such a benefit as they only hit a 1/4 of 1 plants side... So Cap, would you say adding those 4 would thicken me up worthy enough to bang? As of now I can't do it but I will be taking the two rooms down and making 1 bigger spread out system and I'm rethinking my lighting for that set up now... I like the stacking idea and have played with the idea since my first tree grow but as of now that's bit too much power for my current spot, that's why I flip flop two smaller rooms now..

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
1000 for verts + and 600 above is enough imo. I run 1000's everywhere and I am sure I could drop to 600's and get the same up above.. Adding extra air is the way to go too. I am not a fan of cooled hoods so I'll keep my mouth shut... ;) I'm all for bare bulbs and excess ac... Now that I see Cap is running verts on the outer corners it looks like I need to rethink the worth of those corner lights. I didn't see them being such a benefit as they only hit a 1/4 of 1 plants side... So Cap, would you say adding those 4 would thicken me up worthy enough to bang? As of now I can't do it but I will be taking the two rooms down and making 1 bigger spread out system and I'm rethinking my lighting for that set up now... I like the stacking idea and have played with the idea since my first tree grow but as of now that's bit too much power for my current spot, that's why I flip flop two smaller rooms now..

300 amps.

Ideally I would have no corners, because any walls and corners would have plants in them. However, I am concerned abotu plant count in my new location so I am gonna be keeping it at 12 or less. I'm still working out the details.

I've got a 600 amp pole so I've got plenty of power. I have a 5 ton unit as of right now but after calculating in y'all's suggestions for lighting it looks ill be adding a one or two ton split to the room sometime soon. Which will be good just in time for summer too. I was thinking of air cooling my horizontals and leaving the verts bare. If each kw bare produces 6000 btus, and each kw vented produces 4000 btus. So with nine 600w air cooled and twelve 600w bare, that would come to around 64800 btu's. I think I'd be able to squeek by with another ton of cooling. Hey cap, you said you run 1000w verts and are considering double stacking them? Would you recommend I start with 1000w verts instead of 600's. I've grown trees outdoors for years and have 2 yrs of experience in the UC so this isn't a long shot for me. I'm new to growing with verts completely and want to set this room up right the first time so all of y'all's help is appreciated.

Yeah dude bare 1k vert for sure, and at least 60" centers. bare 1k horizontal. Add AC you have 600 amps that is more than enough. After my current setup... I want more cooling power and way more space!!! (I have 48" centers now) . I'm probably gonna drop 7 tons on this one so I can get temps down to the high 60's with lights on. That's the goal anyway.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Ya bare bulbs and btu's do make it easier, no crazy duct work and 10% more light. Not to mention you can truelly seal the room. Im actually on the fence between the 9 or 6 site UC. I kind of want to crawl before I walk and start out doing 1 kw verts, 600w horizontals, 70" centers but with only a 6 site and no major upgrades to the room. I want to stay within my 5 tons of cooling and with the 6 site would have enough ac to run all my bulbs bare. Ill do 1 run and if it works for me ill add some extra sites and additional tons of AC. Thanks dudes. Im 90% sure on the 6 site ill let you guys know this weekend when I make the order!

J

Jalisco Kid

I feel you guys do not feel the need to light your girls up right. One 1k light would not work in my room and I really just grow big bushes mainly. Most of my patients were getting plants big enough in my tanks to cover a 25 sq ft foot print easily. Take that 25 and divide it into 1000. 40 watts per square foot will give you nice green plants but not what you could get. I see some run over 100w/sq' , I am happy are 80w/sq'. JK
When the girls said size does not matter they joshing you. You need the penetration.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I feel you guys do not feel the need to light your girls up right. One 1k light would not work in my room and I really just grow big bushes mainly. Most of my patients were getting plants big enough in my tanks to cover a 25 sq ft foot print easily. Take that 25 and divide it into 1000. 40 watts per square foot will give you nice green plants but not what you could get. I see some run over 100w/sq' , I am happy are 80w/sq'. JK
When the girls said size does not matter they joshing you. You need the penetration.

What's up JK. I'm not sure I'm following you. In one since I feel your saying we are not giving enough light and on the other end I feel your saying too much light for the sq ft? I just wanna get what your saying and see if it's me that can use some of your lighting knowledge... thanks for your thoughts..

J

Jalisco Kid

60 to 80w per sq foot is plenty for most strains/growers. At 1000w per plant I am saying you will not reach the full potential of most strains. 600w bulbs and trees lack even at 80w/sq ft JK

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I'm banging 6sites with 10k, 1k above each site and 4 verts, and am looking to hit my other 4 verts next run when I can expand a few feet as I felt the ones close to the wall gave me hot spots... I'm hoping these numbers are more acceptable for my ladies... Thanks for your insight. I thinking of popping up a thread of this run, things are looking nice the second week in.. Do you have any shots of your finished ladies to share? At least I know now to stay away from 600's even up top... thanks..

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
60 to 80w per sq foot is plenty for most strains/growers. At 1000w per plant I am saying you will not reach the full potential of most strains. 600w bulbs and trees lack even at 80w/sq ft JK

Is a 1k stacked over a 600 on 4 sides, plus 1k on the top overkill or am I on the right track? Because that's what I want to do. 6 plants, 12 1k + 12 600's vert and then 6 1k on the tops (one over each site in an umbrella hood). Then, plants against the walls all the way around.

I was gonna try to grow my wall o dank to 8' tall plants with double stacked 1k also.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Is a 1k stacked over a 600 on 4 sides, plus 1k on the top overkill or am I on the right track? Because that's what I want to do. 6 plants, 12 1k + 12 600's vert and then 6 1k on the tops (one over each site in an umbrella hood). Then, plants against the walls all the way around.

I was gonna try to grow my wall o dank to 8' tall plants with double stacked 1k also.

Thats gonna be a killers set up.. That is my ultimate dream lightning. I can't wait to get there..

J

Jalisco Kid

There are very few pics of my plants. None while I was growing except my BP and Ms Walker. They are here somewhere. Pics have a habit of coming back to bite you in they ass. The only reason I ever took them was so I could remember and have timeting to compare growth time wise.
Cap you put 8o w sq ft in that room with those tanks it will work even if they were horz. Double stacking them will give you more work as the growth kicks ass. Some days 5". I double stack on all rows with plants on both sides. Some warehouse type grows I would put a 1000w on the outside row unless I had loads of A/C. Having that light and 86*, I would rather back down the watts and run 78*. My bud is more potent and flavorful keeping them under 82*.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If my inside out experiments disappoint, I'll be doing the same thing. I have one 2 Ton chiller, and another on layaway. Should be enough to get me started, anyway!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
There are very few pics of my plants. None while I was growing except my BP and Ms Walker. They are here somewhere. Pics have a habit of coming back to bite you in they ass. The only reason I ever took them was so I could remember and have timeting to compare growth time wise.
Cap you put 8o w sq ft in that room with those tanks it will work even if they were horz. Double stacking them will give you more work as the growth kicks ass. Some days 5". I double stack on all rows with plants on both sides. Some warehouse type grows I would put a 1000w on the outside row unless I had loads of A/C. Having that light and 86*, I would rather back down the watts and run 78*. My bud is more potent and flavorful keeping them under 82*.

"I would put a 1000w on the outside row unless I had loads of A/C"

does this mean that you will not double stack on the outside and just run a single 1k on the outside?

J

Jalisco Kid

As I said it would be that if I could control my temps I would go with 2 otherwise I prefer 78* over more light.No Stress was krusty's premise for killer bud and to bring out the plants full potential. I am not a believer that a plant must suffer to put out.JK
"I would put a 1000w on the outside row unless I had loads of A/C"

does this mean that you will not double stack on the outside and just run a single 1k on the outside?

Top Bottom