First timer auto... to trim or not to trim?!

• Thread starter MissDee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MissDee

MissDee

Hi fellow farmers I’m a total newbie and this is my first auto. There’s a few wee scraggy branches at the bottom, she’s on week 8...should I remove them to allow all her energy to go to the buds? Also, have I burned her top leafs? I’ve since raised the light as I think that’s what I’ve done wrong?! Much thanks and appreciation for any help/advice x

First timer auto to trim or not to trim
First timer auto to trim or not to trim 2
Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

I cut off those smaller inside branches that are not getting a good supply of light. The plant will redirect the energy upwards, the leaf loss will not effect photosynthesis when the leaves are small and shaded like that.

There could be a Ph problem developing in your root zone, guessing from the spots on the leaves. If the light touches your leaf, yes you can burn it, turn it brown and make it taco up. But the spots are whats making me think there is another issue at work. Do you Ph your water and if so, at what level? Are you in soil or coco?

MissDee

MissDee

Thanks Chad will do that with the smaller branches the now. I’ve not checked ph of water, ever. Not sure what I‘d need to get to check it and rectify? I’m growing in Biobizz all mix using same brand of nutrients. Totally budget grow, bored in the house in the house bored. Can’t get blue cheese for love or money around here so thought.. why not. ps these brown spots just appeared, the light wasn’t touching... was 12” away and is now 19...you thinking ph then?

MissDee

MissDee

Thanks Chad will do that with the smaller branches the now. I’ve not checked ph of water, ever. Not sure what I‘d need to get to check it and rectify? I’m growing in Biobizz all mix using same brand of nutrients. Totally budget grow, bored in the house in the house bored. Can’t get blue cheese for love or money around here so thought.. why not. ps these brown spots just appeared, the light wasn’t touching... was 12” away and is now 19...you thinking ph then?
Should’ve said, I use boiled/cooled water at same temp as area

budsymalone

budsymalone

bio bizz are great nutes. very user friendly. try get yourself a ph pen. i think chad is spot on that looks like a nutrient lock out due to ph issues, this looks like a similar problem i was battling but the problem was the ph of my soil not my water(both will cause this issue btw) but it was very low so i got some lime and top dressed the soil and 2 days later was a completely new plant.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Yeah, the Ph may be creating an issue. To check it, you can buy a Ph meter pen, they range $20 to $100 for the industry standard. Another way is to use a drop from General Hydroponics. It changes color based on Ph, usually runs $10. You can buy a Ph up and Ph down product from the same company, which I recommend, but you can also use a variety of home based methods / ingredients. Room temp water is generally good, ideally between 65 and 75 I think is the target temp for water.... I'd have to double check that though.

Are you using coco or soil? They will have a slightly different target Ph for both input water and within the root zone.

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Hello! I think pH is one the biggest things people either forget or just don’t know to check and can lead to problems. I keep my pH in my DWC from 5.5 to 6 and plants seem to love it. There are some pH nutrient uptake charts that really help determining where you want your plants pH. You want all nutrients available to your baby and having the correct pH makes that possible. Out of range pH will lock out certain nutrients limiting growth. Along with having all nutrients available there needs to be the right concentration of nutrients so the measurement of total solids or ppm comes into play. Some also use an electrical conductivity scale. Whichever you prefer is up to the grower. Having these points down will allow your plant to use more light and will prevent light burn and overheating with vigorous growth both in the foliage and the root structure. Cannabis is very resilient so it’s always fun and interesting to learn what works and what doesn’t. Look up super cropping, topping, fimming, etc..Just my 2 cents and some input for anyone willing to take the advice! Happy growing! 🇺🇸

MissDee

MissDee

bio bizz are great nutes. very user friendly. try get yourself a ph pen. i think chad is spot on that looks like a nutrient lock out due to ph issues, this looks like a similar problem i was battling but the problem was the ph of my soil not my water(both will cause this issue btw) but it was very low so i got some lime and top dressed the soil and 2 days later was a completely new plant.
Thanks BudsyMalone. I’ll get a ph pen ordered asap... can the decreasing/increasing of PH be done using my Biobizz nutes?

MissDee

MissDee

Hello! I think pH is one the biggest things people either forget or just don’t know to check and can lead to problems. I keep my pH in my DWC from 5.5 to 6 and plants seem to love it. There are some pH nutrient uptake charts that really help determining where you want your plants pH. You want all nutrients available to your baby and having the correct pH makes that possible. Out of range pH will lock out certain nutrients limiting growth. Along with having all nutrients available there needs to be the right concentration of nutrients so the measurement of total solids or ppm comes into play. Some also use an electrical conductivity scale. Whichever you prefer is up to the grower. Having these points down will allow your plant to use more light and will prevent light burn and overheating with vigorous growth both in the foliage and the root structure. Cannabis is very resilient so it’s always fun and interesting to learn what works and what doesn’t. Look up super cropping, topping, fimming, etc..Just my 2 cents and some input for anyone willing to take the advice! Happy growing! 🇺🇸
Thank you Fitter! I’ll get straight on the ph case. The leafs had been looking a bit pale too so hoping the ph issue would resolve this too? I appreciate all the help, it’s amazing 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Here is a good read that’s nice and short on pH for soil with some added info on pH meters. Hope it helps!

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Here is a good read that’s nice and short on pH for soil with some added info on pH meters. Hope it helps!
Also, maintaining a proper pH in your nutrient solution for feeding will help keep soil pH stable.

Top Bottom