First timer getting ready to top - advice pls?

• Thread starter Nectarivorous
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Hi all, up to day 28 since germination on my Green Crack girls, and I'm at the point of looking to top my biggest girl. I have a photo where I've tried to get the general canopy and node structure.

First timer getting ready to top   advice pls

There is so much information out there and it differs so greatly. I got some great advice from one of my questions on another thread, to the effect that I should be cutting off above the 4th node while the 5th is developing, leaving a bit of stem for the new connection to thicken around. Others will say wait for it to get 6-8 and cut back to 2 or 3!? Bear in mind I'm a beginner so I'm looking for safe and reliable. I guess my question is does the 4th node thing tend to be a good safe bet? Fourth node at centre of picture showing growth of 5th above:

First timer getting ready to top   advice pls 2

If so would I be looking to get it happening at the stage it is now before it spends any more time building that 5th and 6th? Or would you suggest pinching the growth out between those fifth leaves, the developing 6th node??

First timer getting ready to top   advice pls 3

Any advice appreciated! Peace and blaze.

growsince79

growsince79

It doesn't matter much either way. I top after 4 and remove the bottom 4 branches, leaving 4 top branches. Do you want hundreds of little buds or several large colas?

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

It doesn't matter much either way. I top after 4 and remove the bottom 4 branches, leaving 4 top branches. Do you want hundreds of little buds or several large colas?
Err the latter :) I'm topping after 4 now, there is good space before the 5th so can leave enough behind. I'm with you, I want those 4 tops. Do you wait until just before flowering to take lower branches so they can be used for growth during veg? Or take them early?

growsince79

growsince79

Err the latter :) I'm topping after 4 now, there is good space before the 5th so can leave enough behind. I'm with you, I want those 4 tops. Do you wait until just before flowering to take lower branches so they can be used for growth during veg? Or take them early?
I do short veg. I cut them when i flip - a week after last top.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

I do short veg. I cut them when i flip - a week after last top.
Nice. I'm taking it all pretty steady being my first grow, but plan is to LST the main tops and then probably use large holed trellis net to create an even canopy then lollipop before flipping to flower. Just working from a combination of my own reading and YouTube viewing combined with help from good folks like yourself.

Top Bottom