First timer, moderate space, slanted ceiling

• Thread starter cannabull
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cannabull

Been lurking for a while and absorbing all sorts of great information and think it is finally time to take the plunge and just do it already. My garage has a small nook in the back corner that I plan on using. It is under the stairs so the ceiling is slanted. I'm having trouble visualizing the best way to hang the light and lay out the plants. The area is roughly 3.5 feet wide and 6 feet deep. The lowest part of the ceiling is 3 feet and the highest is about 7. Thinking 400 or 600 watt hps and scrog, will be using soil. Starting with a single clone but hopefully there is room for more in the future. My few questions:
  1. Is this a viable space?
  2. How big should my screen be?
  3. Realistically how many plants could I fit?
  4. Should I tilt the light to get more coverage?
  5. Am I completely off in my approach?

When looking at the space it seems like there will be a few feet at the back that is wasted because of vertical clearance issues with the light, kind of a bummer.
Thanks for looking, hope to get started soon.

D

Donk Frog

600w if vented
400w if not u dont want a fire.
Is the garage heated, if not you have to be somewhere with no winter as the light will not produce heat during lights out part of flowerinng your plants would die.
Personally i do one big plant witha long veg time to train it and grow it big enough to yeild good.
if u want more a true s.o.g set up may be the way to go as smaller plants could be put at the low end, and moved as more come into the sog......

C

cannabull

Garage is not heated but I live in southern california so don't think the winter will be much of an issue. I do plan on venting. What would be a ballpark yield for a single plant with 400w? And how far away should I keep the lamp? thanks for the help!

hiboy

hiboy

Yield amount depends on what strain and mostly experience to get the max. And conditions. If you used fluorescents you could let your plants get taller (plants can touch em), but i always like the hi outputters. Also the lower the plant container the larger the plant , meaning try to put them on the floor with no stand, etc.
hiboy

F

FatMarty

I'm a novice grower who has been growing a short space for 18 months or so.

I would suggest lining the floor and up the sides 6" with high mil plastic with a few drain holes punched in it; then fill it with something like ProMixBX.

One plant; maybe two. Place them directly under the light as much as possible.

2" x 2" hardware cloth or similar for the screen.

The extra dirt in the low area at the base of the stairs will act as a rootbed and give better results.

Here's my scrog setup pics:
3 Way Scrog

Like I said I am a novice; so my advice is only so good.
Maybe you can learn from my mistakes though and not make the same ones.

Here it is a few days ago:
20-3WayScrog-Day28-BudShot.jpg

My screen is about 30" x 30" and is about 8" off of the top of the soil level. I have about 24" of viable growth area about the screen before I would cook them from light stress inside a room with something like 5'2" floor to ceiling height.

I have half a dozen successful grows using this setup by now and I am able to maintain mid to high 70's tempwise by venting the 1000 watt in a closed system to outside and using a circulating system to move air in and through the room.

I would say go with the 400 Ceramic Metal Halide, (vented), and if you find you have room hang a light bar of 2700K cfl's where ever you can like I did.

My room width is 5'3" and the depth is 4'.

You want some air movement at all times if possible - it keeps them from drooping overnight.

Use LST, (Low Stress Training), to grow your vegging plants sideways for getting ready for screen or just to grow in there without a screen.

Use 6000K, (Cool White), cfl's for vegging; 2700K, (Soft White), cfl's for bloom additions.

Don't vent into the attic - I hear it grows mold and makes it rain black shit if you do. :-)

C

cannabull

Cool, thanks for all the ideas, visiting the hardware & hydro stores today to get something started.

A

amy001

PrisonPrison break DVD Break, while driving, was never honored the actor on his show. We do not even need to watch this show very long to see that it was a shame. Wentworth Miller, for example, is the only person I see Scofield. He is quietly menacing, charismatic and passionate ... NotThe office DVD to say he does not overdo it sometimes, but he balances hard and emotional in a way most actors would not. If one denies the table Wade Williams as Bellick, see the four seasons of this series and tell me how Bellick goes from one of the most unsympathetic to the issue of a very nice in a short period of time. Although Purcell, who has never had to do muchScrubs DVD more in the series look tough and frightening, if necessary, embodies Burroughs. This description of his game is pretty much all the characters need to do, so it suits everyone. Finally, we have Robert Knepper, whose performance as T-Bag does have improved every season.Had this been a movie theater, unlike a TV series that Knepper hasThe tribe DVD received an Oscar nomination. If not for fan reaction to the portrayal of Knepper sly, wicked T-Bag, he probably would have been killed at the end of the first season. Knepper takes a relatively simple and just mold him into one of the most memorable characters I've ever seen on a television series. It is not easy to take a characterYour baby can read DVD that often betray and hurt the character you like and making him sympathetic and every moment Knepper is on the screen, it will keep your attention focused there.

F

FatMarty

Cool, thanks for all the ideas, visiting the hardware & hydro stores today to get something started.

Nice. Let us know what you come up with if you don't mind.

I've been through a lot making my space work out right and so I find your challenge interesting.

C

cannabull

I've got the reflector hung up and black poly with a zipper for the door. Planning on a screen of maybe 3x3. I have 3 gallon pots and thought I could grow 4 plants under the screen. Also looking for a flat plastic container to use instead of the pots, not sure how big it should be though. I have a storage bin that is 20x30 and about 6 inches deep, that seems a little big for a single plant. What do you think a good size would be? Or should I stick to standard pots?

F

FatMarty

I've got the reflector hung up and black poly with a zipper for the door. Planning on a screen of maybe 3x3. I have 3 gallon pots and thought I could grow 4 plants under the screen. Also looking for a flat plastic container to use instead of the pots, not sure how big it should be though. I have a storage bin that is 20x30 and about 6 inches deep, that seems a little big for a single plant. What do you think a good size would be? Or should I stick to standard pots?

Until you get it dialed in I guess just go with the 3 gallon pots.
The most important thing will be temp and airflow getting started.

In fact I would try to get your gear all set up, and run it through a light cycle or two without anything in there to see where you are at.

What light did you get?

C

cannabull

Until you get it dialed in I guess just go with the 3 gallon pots.
The most important thing will be temp and airflow getting started.

In fact I would try to get your gear all set up, and run it through a light cycle or two without anything in there to see where you are at.

What light did you get?
Starting with the pots sounds like a good idea. With a 3x3 screen how many should I do?

I have a LuminAire 6 reflector and 400watt hps. Hoping to finish everything up this week and then I will post some pics.

F

FatMarty

Depends how big the vegged plants are or if you are going to veg and bloom in the same space I suppose.

First grow: you probably want to see some results quick; so go with 3 or 4 and veg them shorter.

Figure you can buy clones out there; if that's how you are starting then maybe veg 4 weeks before flipping.

If doing seeds too you can always veg under cfl's in a cabinet or something while your first grow is blooming. Usually the longer you veg the larger the plant; so with your space I would go with 2 big plants or 4 small ones probably.

C

cannabull

Veg & bloom would be in the same room, definitely going to be starting from clones. Thanks for all the info, can't wait to get started.

Top Bottom