First timer, quick curing question

• Thread starter AvnerMinn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AvnerMinn

Hi all, I have harvested my first grow! All in all things went well. I'm wondering if I left them to hang too long? It was 15 days until branches started making that snap sound, now that it's all jarred up, the RH in the jars is about 57-60%.
From what I've read this is low, is that true? If so should I put a bovada pack in to bring up the RH? I have some 62 and 72% packs just not sure what is the right thing to do.
Thanks!

bruceybruce63

bruceybruce63

I know this ain’t no help! BUT….. was listening to Mrgrowit (some dude about curing and drying), said that if the stem snaps? You’re too late, it’s already too dry. That being said I’m sure it can be brought back. That dude said that crunchy in the outside and spongy in the middle? IDK like I haven’t even gotten to where you’re at, YET. But I’m almost scared! lol those beverages bags are well respected. Cannot roll? Out of my range! Hope it works out, I’m sure it will. Look, they used to toss them in paper bags on the floor! I’m sure you’re above that!

bruceybruce63

bruceybruce63

Cannitrol! Beveda bags. JS saying I can’t spell and spell check ain’t no help! lol

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Yea stem snap on the outside is bad, internal snap you better pull it. Crunchy on the outside, wet and springy on the inside. Make sure to burp your jars daily until you stabilize for days at no more than 62% 🤞

P

Phyto

I usually jar em up and burp them before the stem snap stage, but a final r/h of 55-62% r/h is just about right. Curing stops at 55-60%. Boveda packs 62%, NOT 72%.

BB22

BB22

I hang the plant. Sort of do the stem snap thing.

I slways seem to jar early. I use the bovida 62s. Remove the cap to refresh the air every day.

I’ve found that if I jar it too soon, spread the buds out for a few hours. Let them get some airflow ✌️

Grower1974

Grower1974

Hi all, I have harvested my first grow! All in all things went well. I'm wondering if I left them to hang too long? It was 15 days until branches started making that snap sound, now that it's all jarred up, the RH in the jars is about 57-60%.
From what I've read this is low, is that true? If so should I put a bovada pack in to bring up the RH? I have some 62 and 72% packs just not sure what is the right thing to do.
Thanks!
RH of 55-62% in the jar after 48 hours is perfect. You allowed the perfect dry/cure cycle. Nice job. Throw those packs in the trash.

A

AvnerMinn

Thanks everyone for the replies. I should have been more clear, the branches did not snap on the outside, only internally, and did not break off.
The colas were pretty crunchy on the outside but the smaller buds further up the stems were still pretty fresh feeling.
They have been in jars for two days, been burping them for 30 mins twice a day.
I'm under the impression that a little under 70 is what you want when starting curing. (Mine are between 57-60) Then burping them down to 62 slowly.

Grower1974

Grower1974

Thanks everyone for the replies. I should have been more clear, the branches did not snap on the outside, only internally, and did not break off.
The colas were pretty crunchy on the outside but the smaller buds further up the stems were still pretty fresh feeling.
They have been in jars for two days, been burping them for 30 mins twice a day.
I'm under the impression that a little under 70 is what you want when starting curing. (Mine are between 57-60) Then burping them down to 62 slowly.
I’ve tried both ways. Data showed if you need to keep burping often, the product is far too wet. Curing with excessive burping is an excuse for buds that are far too high in moisture content when jarred. It will never smell that good either after that.

I have found curing has zero effect when properly dried to around 55-60% RH, and 10-12% moisture content once acclimated.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

15 days is fine. I wouldn't go any longer though.

Depends on resin content as far as humidity goes. Ive grown quite a few plants where 65%+ is just too moist. it doesn't break up or grind right. Get into plants with a roughly 40% resin content and 30%+ thc content and 55% is perfect usually.

Honestly, for my tastes, 72% is pretty much always too moist. Most buds Tend to be tacky and not burn right that high.

You want the stems to snap in the middle, and the flowers, honestly, to feel cracker dry to the touch on their surface at first jarring. Youll still have a small amount of moisture in the stem inside the bud though, and this is what you want to cure out into the rest of the flower, and level down to whatever seems appropriate for the texture and consistency of the flower and its resin content, ime, anything from 55% to 65% can be right. The humidity will also rise in the jars as they sit, and this moisture evens back out into the flowers material.

The other purpose of a long period cure is to let some of the thc-a naturally decarb into delta-9 thc, as this increases potency, and chlorophyl will be largely broken down after about 30 days, and cellulose will burn cooler after a bit longer, giving a better, cooler, more consistent burn.

As long as you never let it get below about 40% once cured up, you can always slowly rais it with those RH packets to whatever seems right for the flower without volatile terps getting much if any damage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom