First timer - what are your thoughts on my set up?

• Thread starter bloodeye
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bloodeye

Spider farm tent, inline filter and light. They say the light is Samsung diodes.

Currently miracle gro potting mix but as it's my first grow, after talking to a few of you I think it'll be the last time miracle gro is used.

1 fan pointing at the light ready for when I turn it on to try to keep the control units cool and the other for breeze then the plants start to grow.

Not sure what else to say about it but interested in your thoughts and willing to answer any questions to anything I maybe should have mentioned 😊

First timer   what are your thoughts on my set up
ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

My first setup was a Spider Farmer kit. It'll work. Seeing that you called yourself a first timer, I'll just say that the three main challenges for new growers are too much light, too frequent watering, and too much feeding. Here's how you can avoid those things:

Water: in soil, water to 10% runoff, only when the pots are very light. If you see straight-down droop in the lowers, you went one day too long.
Feeding: If you're using synthetic nutes, feed every fourth watering...FWWWF. If you're starting in amended soil, it's more like WWWWF.
Light: Plants that are happy with the light they're getting have flat, level, green leaves. If your tops are praying an hour before lights-out, they're ready for more light. If you see edge curl, taco-ing, canoeing, twisting, or any color other than green, they want less light.

Enjoy your first grow!

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
That's a tight squeeze man. One plant can grow out to the size of a 50 gallon trash can. And you have three of them in there. Flip to flower as soon as you can. Welcome to the hobby.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
welcome bud

One thing I would do next time is fill the pots up you don’t want the plant below the top of the pot. The space is a bit tight however it will work if you only veg a while. it’s more the actual space that will be problem as the plants bush out and grow

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
That's a tight squeeze man. One plant can grow out to the size of a 50 gallon trash can. And you have three of them in there. Flip to flower as soon as you can. Welcome to the hobby.
Was the 0 a typo 50 gallons that’s like 227l

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

The fan top of the LED is really not needed imho. Hot air naturally move upward and you have the air intake bottom of the tent and the extractor on top. You usually don't want to push the hot air from the led driver and panel downward like it probably gonna happen a little the way the fan is oriented.

Nice set up, All the best.

B

bloodeye

Currently 2 in there. I seeded them straight into the pot. The 3rd one I've got in folded damp tissues and it's just popped today, the root just starting to come through. I'll give this one until tomorrow and look again and maybe pot it then.

They're all Indica auto flower breeds so I was thinking they would remain short?

Also note as my first time I'm experimenting as bit with different methods and products etc

B

bloodeye

The one at the front isn't planted yet. So going to fill this pot when I plant. Also got some mycorrhizal to mix in with this one. A quest, reading this expensive mycorrhizal packed, I'm going to need to put the entire thing into 1 pot?
welcome bud

One thing I would do next time is fill the pots up you don’t want the plant below the top of the pot. The space is a bit tight however it will work if you only veg a while. it’s more the actual space that will be problem as the plants bush out and grow

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
That I can’t help with as I haven’t used it.
How’s large is the packet someone might ask. Doesn’t it say covers ? meters on the back or anything

B

bloodeye

That I can’t help with as I haven’t used it.
How’s large is the packet someone might ask. Doesn’t it say covers ? meters on the back or anything
It's a 100g pocket and the pots are 5 gallon, not sure if that's US or UK gallon though.

Thanks for your help though!

Just, I know this is a costly hobby but the idea is to save money on smoke, eventually. But a question, how much would you expect to spend just on setting up your medium?

PXL 20231202 091326877
JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
Are your gonna use autos or photos? If photos I would work your way up to the big pots...start with plastic beer pong cups and over time up pot to 1 and 3 gal and flower in 5 gal pot... you'll get a better control over your waterings

B

bloodeye

Are your gonna use autos or photos? If photos I would work your way up to the big pots...start with plastic beer pong cups and over time up pot to 1 and 3 gal and flower in 5 gal pot... you'll get a better control over your waterings
The 3 I've got on are all auto's. Depending how I get on with these 3 (different breeds) depends if I do 3 x cookies gelato autos or some stardawg photos 😊

Maybe next time regardless I will do as you suggest. I already know I'll be doing wet tissue and dark drawer to my next seeds

H

hilbert

I have been using Miracle Grow All Purpose Organics container mix with 30-40% perlite for years with great results. The ONE time I decided to switch it up and use that FoxFarm shit, I purchased it from a local garden store and that shit was LOADED with aphids. Wiped out an entire run.

Don't let these snobs tell you that you are gonna fail with your dirt choice. Everyone does shit their own way and if it works, it works.

Charlie946

Charlie946

Your idea of mixing soil with perlite is a good one. You don't need to all these crazy inputs on your first few grows.
I would use promix and composted manure with the perlite next time, water with 6.0 ph water and a bit of molasses to keep the microbes happy.
You will find it hard to water with that huge container at first but they will grow into them eventually.
Good luck!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Not sure what else to say about it but interested in your thoughts and willing to answer any questions to anything I maybe should have mentioned 😊
It looks like you're off to a good start. I've grown in Miracle Grow with good results. I don't use it now, though, because I don't trust the ingredients. I've been recycling the same soil that started mostly as FFHF and FFOF. I add amendments, as needed. Fill your pots nearly up to the top, leaving an inch or two for top dressing nutrients. I don't recall seeing nutrients mentioned, but use of mycorrhizae means you're planning to use organic growing methods. I use and recommend Gaia Green All Purpose and Power Bloom.

I mount fans and filters outside the tent because I like to have ample vertical space, and I like to have more room for the light. Lights usually don't need fans, but a way to exhaust the heat from them can be important. The ViparSpectra lights I've been using have a heat sink at the top, so I installed 80mm computer fans on top of the heat sinks. That has worked well. Small power supplies for them can be found on Amazon.

Also got some mycorrhizal to mix in with this one. A quest, reading this expensive mycorrhizal packed, I'm going to need to put the entire thing into 1 pot?
Only a small amount is needed. The organisms grow and reproduce if conditions are right for them.

The light isn't on yet. When they sprout I was going to turn it on and raise it some 18 inches
I'd say to have it about 36 inches above sprouts. What does the light's manufacturer recommend? Keep in mind that the most intense light is directly under the light.

I know this is a costly hobby but the idea is to save money on smoke, eventually. But a question, how much would you expect to spend just on setting up your medium?
I had the same motivation when I began. It has been a while since I last checked the local price of an ounce of bud, but it adds up quickly while my wife can go through several grams a day. There's also the fact that we know what is used to grow our own. I can't say I trust whatever commercial growers might use. I also prefer well-ripened buds. So, there's more to it than saving money. That said, at this point I have no idea how much I've spent. I could have spent less, but experimentation is fun. I also discovered that it's easy to grow much more than we can use, so we give some of it away. It didn't take us long to get several pounds of bud in storage, and that's too much for us. We also like to try new strains—there's so much great weed out there waiting for us to grow it.

Incidentally, we rarely smoke these days. We mostly vape and make tincture. We've made some amazing tinctures by blending different strains.

Top Bottom