First Timer

• Thread starter Derylh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Derylh

Derylh

I was given some pot seeds (I have no idea what kind) and I planted them and got them growing in soil. I have 7 plants up about 2 to 3 feet tall, 4 of which I think are female, and I want to switch them to hydro. A couple of years ago I successfully grew vegetables in a DWC hydro setup, so I have a little knowledge about hydro growing, but this is my first time to grow pot. Can someone smarter than me give me some tips on transplanting these from soil to hydro? What kind of EC and pH should I have for the initial switch? Should the nutrients be tailored to vegetative growth or flowering (the 4 suspected female plants have small buds)? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

Youve gone this far in soil its probably best to finish them in soil. Start a new grow in hydro if you want. Sounds like theyre ready to be in flower anyway. So it wont be long now

DoctorFIRE

DoctorFIRE

I've actually heard a lot of people talk about how they switched up from dirt to hydro and vice versa. I'm kinda wondering the same thing since I have a frikkin 7 foot bush in a dwc that's got 6 airstones and a 45 gallon bucket ..

FennarioMike

FennarioMike

I've actually heard a lot of people talk about how they switched up from dirt to hydro and vice versa. I'm kinda wondering the same thing since I have a frikkin 7 foot bush in a dwc that's got 6 airstones and a 45 gallon bucket ..

It can certainly be done but even the most gentle method isn't easy on the plant and it'll take a couple of weeks until roots are growing again and happy in the new medium.

The other thing - often, normal microbes that are in the soil, can cause issues is DWC.

I have done it and some died, some did great. If you do, fill a large container with pH'd city water, chlorine in it is ok - like 4 - 5 times larger than the dirt mass you want to remove. Take your plant and gently dunk the entire soil mass in it and just leave it to loosen up on it's own for 5 minutes or so. Then you can reach in a delicately help it along. Take care to break as few roots as possible. The more broken roots, the more shock. After you get it most of the way clean, you can gently spray off any residual with a kitchen sink type prayer - gently...

All that said... I'll never do it this way again. It caused me more problems that if I had just started fresh and cost me more in resources too... But it does usually work - with effort.

FennarioMike

FennarioMike

Oh sorry - I just realized that you want to go the other way - hydro to soil.

My bad.

DoctorFIRE

DoctorFIRE

Holy moly - that's a monster. How much space and light do you have? That thing wants to be outdoors...
I have a few rooms. This was in my veg room 20 x 20 and now she's flowering in my 10 x 10. She took half the space up. Haha. Here she is 3 weeks in...
20170521 210711

DoctorFIRE

DoctorFIRE

I dedicated a 1000 watt hps to her here's an under shot 3 weeks in time to prune like a mofo. She was bare. I had to flatten her to get her under a trellis now she's kicking ass but I worry. Will she hermie if I chop a shit ton off
20170521 210912
20170521 210912
20170518 161312

Top Bottom