Fish processing / maritime resources for soil

• Thread starter Goblinkiller
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Hello!
I am curious if any of you got some pointers when it comes to maritime resources for soil. I got access to fish bones, kelp and other random stuff from someplace they process fish,crabs and the like.

Tips to what to ask for or look for wluld be appreciated. Looking to mix with soil and maybe make something that will be beneficial for the plants

fishbuds

fishbuds

Well, you have struck gold my friend. I would crush the crab shells, and add them to a compost pile, perfect, chitin party!

Then, I would take all fish racks, heads, and bones, and bury these directly in the rows i plan to plant. Not to deep, just enough soil to cover the bodies ;) Critters could become an issue with shallow buried goodies, to head this off, bury the rows deeply with the kelp! OMG, i want to plant in your garden next year.

Do all of this in the fall, so it has all winter to be digested. If you get some straw, not hay, good straw, mulch with this too to abate the alluring scent, and keep the temps of the soil zone warm enough to work for most of the winter.

Then, plant. Do not till. Never til, you are now building a home for your microbe colony, and they do not like tilling ;)

Hope some of this is helpful. My most bountiful harvests have always come from farming in the manner I have described. The Native Americans knew what was going on.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Thanks alot for your reply friend. I will be sure to get into it :) alot of helpful info in your post. I guess no till means no adding nutes?

I happen to have accessoirer to a farm as well :) so some straw will be easy to come by
Edit: i saw you wrote quality straw npt hay

fishbuds

fishbuds

Remember, straw is different than hay. You do not want hay.

As for nutes. Your nutes are in the fish meal you are embedding. Then your compost pile helps top stuff off in the spring. I have never added nutes to fully functional outdoor soil. If the starting soil is heavy clay and needs help, that is a whole nuther story. Even then, a cycle or two with your ammendments, you will forget about fertilizers, because you will top up with great compost, kelp, and a host of other things you have access to.

Go for it, whole hog, I say. just watch the skunks, raccoons, and the like. i have laid old wire fencing over my mulch to keep it from being all dug up the first week.
coupla branches on the wire fence to keep it in place.

You will get some info here online. But the real pros write books. Read all of Jeff Lowenfels books, and so many others on the subject.

Good luck, you planting weed, or veggies, or both?

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Great post! Its for veggies outdoor in summer. And will experiment with it indoor eventually. Then it will be for weed. No skunks or raccoons here.
Northern scandinavia

The soil in the ground is mostly clay like. Will see if I can dig up some e-books by that author.

Top Bottom