fixing a kinked copper line?

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

So I found a kinked copper line on my 2 ton friedrich minisplit.
Im guessing it has been like this for almost a year. It seems to work fine but Im sure this kink is not good for the system.

I was wondering if there was a way to fix it without cutting it and brazing a coupling on it.

If I do have to cut it will a compression union work so I don't have to rent a torch?

I was thinking I could shut the unit down and heat up the pipe with a torch and trying to work it open with some pliers. But Im afraid it might crack and spill all the refrigerant. I suppose I should close the valves at the compressor just in case.
Would heating the pipe mess with the freon?

Maybe you A/C guys have an easy fix I dont know about

SANY00074.JPG

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

So I found a kinked copper line on my 2 ton friedrich minisplit.
Im guessing it has been like this for almost a year. It seems to work fine but Im sure this kink is not good for the system.

I was wondering if there was a way to fix it without cutting it and brazing a coupling on it.

If I do have to cut it will a compression union work so I don't have to rent a torch?

I was thinking I could shut the unit down and heat up the pipe with a torch and trying to work it open with some pliers. But Im afraid it might crack and spill all the refrigerant. I suppose I should close the valves at the compressor just in case.
Would heating the pipe mess with the freon?

Maybe you A/C guys have an easy fix I dont know about

SANY00074.JPG

Don't heat with refrigerant inside of there. The pipe is weak and heat will raise the pressure too high for pipe to withstand it and then you will get a face full of hot burning oil in ur face. There is oil circulating with the refrigerant. I would leave it alone until you can pump unit down and fix properly by removing damaged area and braze in new pipe. Then after repairs are made make sure it is evacuated and restarted properly.

W

water wise guy

Don't heat with refrigerant inside of there. The pipe is weak and heat will raise the pressure too high for pipe to withstand it and then you will get a face full of hot burning oil in ur face. There is oil circulating with the refrigerant. I would leave it alone until you can pump unit down and fix properly by removing damaged area and braze in new pipe. Then after repairs are made make sure it is evacuated and restarted properly.

x2
do not try to fix this without discharging system. this should be done by a professional as the gases released aree very bad for the enviroment and can even be deadly if inhaled.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
I know that I probably shouldn't tell you to do this but if it were me I would try to straighten it out a little then take pliers to squeeze the flat spot from both sides very slowly and gently. You may be able to open it up a little more than it is. Make sure that you lay a rag over the pipe and keep it in between it and your hand for some protection.

BUT you can also crack the pipe and lose your freor or you can also collapse the pipe even further if your not careful. This is not the proper way to fix this, I'll repeat this is not the right way!!! If you do make this repair I would consider it only temporary, it going to be weak there and most likely will eventually fail there over time.

Your lucky it still works well.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I know that I probably shouldn't tell you to do this but if it were me I would try to straighten it out a little then take pliers to squeeze the flat spot from both sides very slowly and gently. You may be able to open it up a little more than it is. Make sure that you lay a rag over the pipe and keep it in between it and your hand for some protection.

BUT you can also crack the pipe and lose your freor or you can also collapse the pipe even further if your not careful. This is not the proper way to fix this, I'll repeat this is not the right way!!! If you do make this repair I would consider it only temporary, it going to be weak there and most likely will eventually fail there over time.

Your lucky it still works well.

It is kinked too much IMO to touch. I have fixed kinks the way you describe but not kinked that bad. So if you try be very,very careful.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Fixing kinked copper tubing

I deal with copper tubing in 3/8 and 1/2 inch every day. Gently bend it straight, use a crescent wrench,
Spanner
, and put it over the flattened piece of tubing you have now straightened at the point it is the flattest.
Kinked
Now adjust the wrench until its the size of the tube, then slowly turn the wrench. Should take the kink right out of it. Good luck.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Interesting, I'm going to try that on some scrap copper. Sounds like a good trick.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I deal with copper tubing in 3/8 and 1/2 inch every day. Gently bend it straight, use a crescent wrench, View attachment 169767 , and put it over the flattened piece of tubing you have now straightened at the point it is the flattest. View attachment 169768 Now adjust the wrench until its the size of the tube, then slowly turn the wrench. Should take the kink right out of it. Good luck.

Under what pressure are you fixing damaged lines that way? That line is around 200# pressure when the unit is idle and around 125# when running. Again IMO it is kinked too much.

darlingmaster

darlingmaster

No matter how you try to fix the damage make sure you pump down the system first.
This way you don't get blasted in the face with freon if you crack the tube by accident.

blazer

blazer

Kink is bad! Probably will need to be cut out to fix I have straightened some but that one is bad kinda twisted also.probably loosing cooling and oil flow back to ur compressor so I would get er done soon. Do not put heat to it under pressure at no time!!!!!!!! Peace
Blazer

G

gettogro

Well, i decided to wait till this run is complete. I am going to plan on cutting out the kink and brazing a coupling on it.

Im assuming I can close the service port valves, let the freon in the lines and evaporator escape, make repair, evacuate lines, and add freon if needed.

Is there a way to pump most of the freon out of the lines by closing 1 of the ports and running the compressor? never had to do it before.
I have all the proper tools torch, gauges, vac pump, 410, exc.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Well, i decided to wait till this run is complete. I am going to plan on cutting out the kink and brazing a coupling on it.

Im assuming I can close the service port valves, let the freon in the lines and evaporator escape, make repair, evacuate lines, and add freon if needed.

Is there a way to pump most of the freon out of the lines by closing 1 of the ports and running the compressor? never had to do it before.
I have all the proper tools torch, gauges, vac pump, 410, exc.

Put ur gauges on it. Close the smaller valve with unit running. Let it run until it is in a slight vacuum (10 inches or so). Then turn it off and quickly close the bigger valve. Should save 99% of R410A. Good for the ozone too.

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

Put ur gauges on it. Close the smaller valve with unit running. Let it run until it is in a slight vacuum (10 inches or so). Then turn it off and quickly close the bigger valve. Should save 99% of R410A. Good for the ozone too.

thank you sir!

Latest posts

Top Bottom