Flat Stalk And Weird Looking Top? What Is This Doing And What Does It Mean?

• Thread starter Thereallenny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thereallenny

Thereallenny

Flat stalk and weird looking top what is this doing and what does it mean
Flat stalk and weird looking top what is this doing and what does it mean
I would love to know what's happening in the picture? This is not of mine but doing exact same thing and the stalk is flat not round. Trippy.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Well I can tell you what I Think it is and I have been looking in the development of mutations for strain increase in production. All traits that can be altered for the better under current knowledge.

So i am guessing (an educated guess that is) that you have what is known as Fasciation (or cresting) This is a condition of plant growth in which the apical meristem, normally concentrated around a single point, producing approximately cylindrical tissue, becomes elongated perpendicularly to the direction of growth, producing flattened, ribbon-like, crested, or elaborately contorted tissue. The phenomenon may occur in the stem, root, fruit, or flower head.

Fasciation can be caused by a mutation in the meristematic cells, bacterial infection, mite or insect attack, or chemical or mechanical damage. Some plants may inherit the trait.

Fasciation is rare overall, but has been observed in at least a hundred different plant species, including members of Aloe, Celosia, Delphinium, Digitalis, Euphorbia, Forsythia, Primula, Acer, Prunus, Cannabis and many genera of Cactaceae (cactus) and Salix. Cresting results in undulating folds instead of the typical "arms" found on mature Saguaro cactus.[1] Some varieties of Celosia are raised especially for their dependably fasciated flower heads, for which they are called "cockscomb" and this is described/appears very similar.

Calixylon

Calixylon

I had a purple strain that sent off some secondary branches that had this "fasciation" its quite fascinating. Sorry i had to, but i decided to cut them off because all the pictures ive seen of plants with that dont really allow any buds except that massive clusterfunk bud on top, you should let it grow, curious if it produces average or below/above average bud?

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

I had my Alien OG do that couple of times, never to the extreme posted.
I never took any pics either and if I did I never saved them.......

alaskind

alaskind

Please regenerate or cross this plant at least, its genetic "sports" like this that can be game changers... it looks like an intense stack of calyxes to me... awesome! You only get one chance to preserve this, do it if U can :D

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Please regenerate or cross this plant at least, its genetic "sports" like this that can be game changers... it looks like an intense stack of calyxes to me... awesome! You only get one chance to preserve this, do it if U can :D

I wish I could 100% agree with that. But it would seem many have tried and it just isn't the best interest of the people growing it low yields fluffy nugs got huge look awesome but I just couldn't see the feasibility of doing it. Perhaps a very long breeding program but again not worth it

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=251782&page=2

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
caregiverken coined the term "mohawk" bud,
1mohawk1

he talks about in his "Poor dirt farmer" thread,
and here:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/odd-stem-issue.63792/#post-1261714
--------------------------------------------------------
Sativied also has some good stuff
in his -Breeding for whorled phyllotaxy- thread...

1mohawk2

...and I posted this today there around noon:

Fukushima mutations including fasciation;
same with Chernobyl, TMI an all--
Things are gonna get stranger...
-------------------------------------------------
“The right one grew up, split into 2 stems to have 2 flowers connected each other, having 4 stems of flower tied beltlike. The left one has 4 stems grew up to be tied to each other and it had the ring-shaped flower. The atmospheric dose is 0.5 μSv/h at 1 m”…
http://fukushima-diary.com/2015/07/...hiobara-city-0-5-μsvh-at-1m-above-the-ground/

[EDIT]: They changed location of ^^^this^^^ page to this page:
http://fukushima-diary.com/2015/07/photo-deformed-shasta-daisy-in-nasushiobara-city-0-5-μsvh-at-1m-above-the-ground/
http://fukushima-diary.com/2015/04/...everywhere-found-seven-leaf-clover-last-year/
---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
2009: The proportion of plants showing stem fasciation increased with gamma-irradiation in a dose-dependent manner. Each single mutant also showed stem fasciation at a low frequency without gamma-irradiation, while gamma-irradiation induced stem fasciation. Importantly, in wild-type plants, the frequency of stem fasciation was very low (<0.1%) under the growth conditions used, but these phenotypes were induced by gamma-irradiation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2692019/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May 1984: I have carefully examined a few specimens of common plants, collected shortly after the [1979] accident at TMI and compared them with specimens collected more recently. The current abnormalities [observed ~5 years after accident] are probably carried forward by induced chromosomal aberrations. There were a number of anomalies entirely comparable to those induced by ionizing radiation — stem fasciations [etc.]… Most of the stem abnormalities… are induced by relatively high doses of X or gamma rays extending over a period of usually 2-3 months. Notable exceptions, however, are similar responses to beta ray exposure from radioisotopes… and for only 24 hours. In other words, it would have been possible for the types of plant abnormalities observed to have been induced by radioactive fallout on March 29, 1979… In plants, the dose rate (e.g. mr/hr) is much more important than total dose (e.g. mr/yr) in inducing abnormalities… I have incontrovertible experimental results to show that beta rays are at least a quality factor of two in plants. I am the world authority on modifications of plant growth and development induced by ionizing radiations…
http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML0706/ML070660059.pdf

Last edited:
KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

@Tnelz I honestly did to at first... well until I ran across the link I posted, that has a few other links on the inside of it and they have one on witches broom I didn't get much similar info at least not as similar as Fasciation was

H

happy b

Iv had that plenty of times.it usually only affects one branch and it was usually always on a nepali or himalyan type plant.i always thought the top looked like a catterpillar.

Basquiat

Basquiat

I know this is an old thread but there is not much info on this online. I grew one out on my last grow and was really excited about the huge bud I was going to end up with. When cut, it was obvious that is was actually small, surrounding a mass of stem. I believe it took the plant considerably more energy to create and I wish I'd cut it off.

The reason I was searching as it's occurred on my current scrog as attached. Massive shame as its the biggest branch on the plant and unfortunately I already lost one early on due to over bending to the point of snap. Luckily the screen is filling nicely, and probably too much considering only 2 days into flower. Should have switched at 55% of net rather than 70 as often advised... Probably as I am growing monsters, 2 x 39l 6 week veg in 1.2x0.8m, and 4 x 30l 6 week veg in 1.2x1.2

20200618 083208
20200618 084958
20200618 085003
20200618 085043
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I know this is an old thread but there is not much info on this online. I grew one out on my last grow and was really excited about the huge bud I was going to end up with. When cut, it was obvious that is was actually small, surrounding a mass of stem. I believe it took the plant considerably more energy to create and I wish I'd cut it off.

The reason I was searching as it's occurred on my current scrog as attached. Massive shame as its the biggest branch on the plant and unfortunately I already lost one early on due to over bending to the point of snap. Luckily the screen is filling nicely, and probably too much considering only 2 days into flower. Should have switched at 55% of net rather than 70 as often advised... Probably as I am growing monsters, 2 x 39l 6 week veg in 1.2x0.8m, and 4 x 30l 6 week veg in 1.2x1.2
There's somebody with a thread on here right now about this

Cats_in_Superposition

Cats_in_Superposition

View attachment 522973 View attachment 522973 I would love to know what's happening in the picture? This is not of mine but doing exact same thing and the stalk is flat not round. Trippy.
I realize this is an old thread but I'm experiencing this now..I have 2 PowerPlants, one plant is doing just fine and the other has looked sickly it's entire adult life. All the clones taken from this plant have aged and are now exhibiting the exact bent leaf mutation as their mother in new growth and will prob share her fate...Thought I'd contribute so it's not a total waste...

Sick Power Plant
Side by side
PP Leaf
Healthy power plant
Sick Power Plant1
Top Bottom