flavor

• Thread starter benzochris
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

benzochris

I grow nice buds that look great and get you high as f*** but the flavor is always lacking even after curing 4 weeks any suggestions...

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Find some better phenos or cross something tasty to it and pop some fresh beans. What sort of flush are you doing before harvest?

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Indoor outdoor?

Flush with sweetener?

Base genetics?

Curing method?

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Most likely the strain/s, or harvesting early.
Even with no flush or cure good genetics will shine.
FJ

A

Axias

Disclaimer: Nutrient Manufacturer.

Genetics plays a big part certainly, but the main ingredient in your nutrient solution which is affecting taste and aroma is manganese. Same with tomatoes. It was a big issue for greenhouse hydro growers for awhile, but now hydro tomatoes from a grower who knows about optimum manganese levels are about as tasty as they get.

Not sure what the advertising rules are, so I wont mention our product. But it was a big issue for us for awhile too. There is a 'sweet spot', but difficult to quantify with no reference to mix and concentrations. You'll find advanced nutrients uses the high quality salts to get good taste, they have a decent micro mix. But ouch on their prices.

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Disclaimer: Nutrient Manufacturer.

Genetics plays a big part certainly, but the main ingredient in your nutrient solution which is affecting taste and aroma is manganese. Same with tomatoes. It was a big issue for greenhouse hydro growers for awhile, but now hydro tomatoes from a grower who knows about optimum manganese levels are about as tasty as they get.

Not sure what the advertising rules are, so I wont mention our product. But it was a big issue for us for awhile too. There is a 'sweet spot', but difficult to quantify with no reference to mix and concentrations. You'll find advanced nutrients uses the high quality salts to get good taste, they have a decent micro mix. But ouch on their prices.

I must give you kudos for finding a opening and taking it...but the bottom line is that no matter how good a nutrient line is at targeting some magical sweet spot, without the proper genetics an ugly girl is still an ugly girl..although you still have the eye of the beholder thing to fall back on.

(INVEST IN GOOD GENETICS)
FJ

K

kolah

Sorry I can't help but would like to add I am not that big on flavor. I prefer the the "punch."

I'll take a nice heavy buzz over any flavor anyday.

2 cents.

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Ive always considered flavor and power to go hand in hand(for the most part, i know there are always some exceptions, like romulan for example). I attribute that mainly to the terpines that bring flavor and potency to the table. I dont think ive ever had a great tasting bud that didnt get me reasonably high. But i have had tasteless bud that didnt do jack.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Sorry I can't help but would like to add I am not that big on flavor. I prefer the the "punch."

I'll take a nice heavy buzz over any flavor anyday.

2 cents.

punch? anything w/o one is broken. why even talk about broken meds? taste is everything.

M

mrbong73

Have you tried an organic run with that strain?
If it's got flavor in it, true organics should bring it out. IMO

A

Axias

Disclaimer: Hydro nute Manufacturer

Just to harp on genetics a little more: I think you are overestimating their role in flavor and taste, especially considering we're BURNING this stuff, not eating it. Really the biggest factor for a smooth smoke is your cure (and your cure will be reliant on your flush.. and your flush will be reliant on how high your nutes were and how well you flushed em- hydro wins over soil here by a big factor). Taste is a bit more complicated..

Can you get some bad genetics? Yeah, but nowadays you'd almost have to TRY and get bad genetics. (You got me if someone grows oaxaca/commercial bag seed- but lets assume most people at least buy some good seed or get a good clone mom).

So starting with some decent genetics: your grow paramenters will be FAR more important than your genetics in determining flavor and taste.

When we (www.HydroponicSolutions.co) started messing with modifying manganese levels to create a flavor enhancer it was a nightmare: the environmental factors were playing far more of a role in flavor than the nutrients, UNTIL we got the room parameters near optimum (thanks growtronix!). (We're still not sure if the manganese is tying into flavor via its chlophyll or E pathway functions..)

[As you probably know, too much humidity or heat = 3 fanleaf nightmares in most Sativa/indica mixes, which will ROB your crops flavor. If your room parameters are off then your transpiration levels are almost certainly the biggest factor affecting flavor].

-------

Bud candy for flavor? k20 and potassium sulfate makes up most of their formula. I'm calling BS that those two salts are responsible for flavor improvement. If you read the fine print on their labels they throw in some micro and amino mix. Betcha manganese is in the micro, and the aminos are just more BS.

They just sold you $1 worth of ingredients hidden in $8 dollars of ingredients wrapped around their mnfg and dist. costs= $60 gallon..

[They could definitely improve their practices. ESPECIALLY by being honest about it all. I've spoken to the AN guys and what a crock. I talk to them from a hard science and botany background and they communicate back in what amounts to 'voodoo science'].

As long as this BS remains progress is going to be slow..

What did we come up with as a flavor enhancer? Nothing. We tried several micro mixes; the results: all subjective. But what did we expect: consensus on flavor? Gustibus non est disputatdem - there's no disputing taste. Different tastes: definitely. Biggest lesson learned: DONT overdo manganese levels. The first hydro mixers had it near spot on: thx Sachs and Knop (18th century hydro dudes, so cooool).

Top Bottom