Flip flop or not?

• Thread starter rusty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rusty

rusty

My op is currently two rooms sharing 1 600w ballast on a flip flop. My friend who helped me frame my rooms convenced me to do this… even gave me a relay… now that I've had to buy 2 of the same thing a few times (inline fans, scrubbers, intake fans, thermastats, dimmers, etc) now I'm about to invest in 2 window ACs… I'm beginning to ask myself is this worth it?

What is your opinion on relays if you have one? Should I just buy another ballast and merge the rooms together? Is running a flipflop really 'safer'? Has anyone in the history of grow ops ever been busted by suspicious 12/12 power spikes?

I should mention I live in a state that will cut your go-nads off for even thinking about dampening a seed :anim_09:

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
unless your area has smart meters how the hell would they know of a 12/12 power spike?

rusty

rusty

thanks. is there a way to find out if my area has smart meters?

my hunch is its doubtful

I ran a 1000w on 12/12 for a while, no one knocked on my door ;)

*edit - googled smart meter, never mind the question

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I like the idea of a flip flop because you can stagger things out and harvest once a month. It all comes down to what you wanna do.

rusty

rusty

im actually already doing a perpetual grow in 4 trays. each room has 2 trays and each tray represents 3 weeks of the cycle (I'm growing sativas at the moment), so wont really effect the 'perpetualness' :)

Having the 4 trays spread out between two rooms can make cleaning tricky, it will be a lot easier in 1 room, where I can clean and rotate all the trays after each harvest. Tearing down that wall just keeps sounding better and better.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I would say you are better off just running 2 600 in a single room if there is enough space to accomodate it. As you mentioned you will not have to buy as much stuff. ALso I am wondering if you really need a window unit for a 600 watt bulb. If not maby it is a good idea to keep it on a flip.

jyip

jyip

Is running a flipflop really 'safer'? Has anyone in the history of grow ops ever been busted by suspicious 12/12 power spikes?

i havent had any problems in the half dozen yrs i have had aroom going,,,, and if this wasnt online like this i could give more details on how much you can get away with b4 u r caught too,,,and sometime down the road i will explain this better so peeps know what to expect when the worst the does happen to u ...but i think u r safe from meter readings effing ya up ..that is my opinion anyhow

T

tomsawyer

If your meter spins, it is not a smart meter. It is analog and there is no way to tell when you are using what.

Another benefit of having one room is you will share light that spills over. and its Much easier.

jyip

jyip

hey rusty,
nothing else to add really,,,i dont spikes of electr use r gonna be the reson anyone gets busted, their wiill be more to it

flp flops wont keep ya outta jail IMO anyhow

rusty

rusty

cool, thanks ya'll

i'll prolly pick up a new ballast next week, then that walls comin' down!

thinking I'll just put the plants in a dark makeshift tent for 24h while I rework the rooms, then put them all back on the same light schedule… sound goot?

Top Bottom