Floating Grow in Reed Field

• Thread starter salieri
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Originally these chinampas were free-floating but over time they became rooted to the lake floor.
Chinampa pintura1

From an ecological perspective, these chinampas represented an extraordinary achievement, a food production system which proved to be one of the most environmentally sustainable and high-yielding farming systems anywhere on the planet!
Chinampas

Here's a good one...
http://www.academicpub.org/DownLoadPaper.aspx?PaperID=1438

purpleryder

purpleryder

it can be done 2ftx2ft styrofoam block cut clean bowl shape in topleave at least two in on all sides depth about 2/3 the block flip over cut a clean bowl shape in the bottom leave two inches in between top bowl n bottom bowl poke a hole for a wic put about two inches of pebbles in top then your fav soil add counter weights to all four corners drape camo netting over place clone or start from seed it rises n lowers with the water no root rot wic fed floating planter

S

salieri

thank you for the article, was a helpfull read
styrofoam will work, but impractical transportation for those of us on foot

the only cam i have is in my phone and i am too paranoid to use it, sorry... maybe i can get my hands on one later until then my results:
it works, but to get pics and hard data we will have to wait a year, so check back then :)

plastic bowl 19"
motorcycle tire tube 15" (the thicker the better)
microfiber cloth (for really fine glass/chrome polish)
camo net or stealthy cloth
wire

pick/clear a spot
pump up the tire till its volume is roughly 1.5-2 times that of a filled bowl
place tire
wrap camo net around tire, leave some slack in the middle / hole, tie loose ends together under tire
make a wick out of the cloth by wrapping it around itself, wire one end
make a hole in the center of the bowl
stick the wick into the hole, wire end under the bowl
unravel the wick back into a cloth, dont touch the wire end
cut cloth in 2 or more parts, up to hole
spread like a rose (this is to increase surface contact with the earth)
put bowl into tire, make sure the bowl is high above water
add earth into bowl, put some under the spread cloth
carefully water the earth till its fully soaked, make sure the bowl does not touch the water, if so add pressure and or adjust camo net
wait till the water stops dripping
adjust camo net and or tire pressure so that the bottom of the bowl barely touches the water
we know have roughly our max weight if it rains non stop (excluding weight of plant)
done!

I recommend Low Stress Method so that it does not get too high since strong winds might capsize it.

If you are a real badass instead of camo net, use tough stealthy cloth and skip the bowl, just fill the middle, puncture some holes for drainage and root growth (careful not to hit the tire).

Oh and one more thing the tire tube is an excellent fingerprint magnet.

Last edited:
dabs4life

dabs4life

according to where your at you can find the depth of the bottom. follow to a shallow place against the brush line and hammer some pilings in.pilings for this can be pipe or even sturdy tree branches. hammer into the bottom. a boat or ladder would be needed. but once you had a post you could make a diy bracket and that it wouldnt drift or tip due to your platfor being held in place.

another dude on the net too pipes into the bottom and planted right on top of the 6 or 12 in pvc.

chest waders and walk into any swamp shit with snake chaps and no fear. not any fuckin thing thats human will follow unless you really spiked their attention. maybe pull a wally raft with supplies behind you.

where i was at had salt water but still i had dreams of somehing similar before moving to med.

INbreed312

INbreed312

thank you for the article, was a helpfull read
styrofoam will work, but impractical transportation for those of us on foot

the only cam i have is in my phone and i am too paranoid to use it, sorry... maybe i can get my hands on one later until then my results:
it works, but to get pics and hard data we will have to wait a year, so check back then :)

plastic bowl 19"
motorcycle tire tube 15" (the thicker the better)
microfiber cloth (for really fine glass/chrome polish)
camo net or stealthy cloth
wire

pick/clear a spot
pump up the tire till its volume is roughly 1.5-2 times that of a filled bowl
place tire
wrap camo net around tire, leave some slack in the middle / hole, tie loose ends together under tire
make a wick out of the cloth by wrapping it around itself, wire one end
make a hole in the center of the bowl
stick the wick into the hole, wire end under the bowl
unravel the wick back into a cloth, dont touch the wire end
cut cloth in 2 or more parts, up to hole
spread like a rose (this is to increase surface contact with the earth)
put bowl into tire, make sure the bowl is high above water
add earth into bowl, put some under the spread cloth
carefully water the earth till its fully soaked, make sure the bowl does not touch the water, if so add pressure and or adjust camo net
wait till the water stops dripping
adjust camo net and or tire pressure so that the bottom of the bowl barely touches the water
we know have roughly our max weight if it rains non stop (excluding weight of plant)
done!

I recommend Low Stress Method so that it does not get too high since strong winds might capsize it.

If you are a real badass instead of camo net, use tough stealthy cloth and skip the bowl, just fill the middle, puncture some holes for drainage and root growth (careful not to hit the tire).

Oh and one more thing the tire tube is an excellent fingerprint magnet.
EXIF Editor app should clean your photos up for you nicely :) just change the GPS data. I say my pics are from all over the world.

it can be done 2ftx2ft styrofoam block cut clean bowl shape in topleave at least two in on all sides depth about 2/3 the block flip over cut a clean bowl shape in the bottom leave two inches in between top bowl n bottom bowl poke a hole for a wic put about two inches of pebbles in top then your fav soil add counter weights to all four corners drape camo netting over place clone or start from seed it rises n lowers with the water no root rot wic fed floating planter

Have you actually pulled this off? Sounds legit. Pics? ?? VERY interested.

Top Bottom