• Tagged users None
gisisi

gisisi

I wouldn't transplant.

If you can't fix it, trash them.

I know that can be painful.

brotherlewrl

brotherlewrl

how much oxygen are the roots getting? you might have stagnant water in the bucket without enough oxygen, this would cause slow growth and root rot!

B

blahman

how much oxygen are the roots getting? you might have stagnant water in the bucket without enough oxygen, this would cause slow growth and root rot!

The roots for the most part aren't even long enough to hit the little bit of water thats left in each bucket. I have a couple air stones in my rez.

B

blahman

I checked the water temp during a flood and it was 75. The rez was 71 just before the flood. So mixing with the inch or so in the bottom of the buckets really boosted the temp. So I added a A/C to the room, the temp in the room is now 74 last time I checked. It was 82 before I added it. So i'm hoping this will keep the water temp in check. Sm-90 was added, crossing my fingers this takes care of it.

stickyicky

stickyicky

Rez. chiller is the answer. I got two. $350 ea. Well worth it though.

I run my rez's at 67 deg.

B

blahman

Even if I get a chiller the water left in the bottom of each bucket will still rise in temp. Not sure how to get rid of the inch or so left. I tossed a few air stones in the bottom of a few buckets to see if it helps. But that kind of defeats the purpose of flood and drain.

A issue i'm getting now is a drastic drop in PH, from 5.5 to 4.6 in 12 hours or so.

stickyicky

stickyicky

My system runs with a couple inches of water in the bottoms as well. I feel with the 67 degree chilled water mixing with the left over nutes I'm at around 68-69 degrees with-in the buckets. The left over nutes at the bottom of buckets has never been a problem for me. 74+ degrees is where the problems started for me. Hence, 2- chiller's ordered and problem solved.

At 75 you are gonna start growin stuff that you don't want.

Good Luck.

stickyicky

stickyicky

Come on bro let's work through this. We can solve this problem!!

What size buckets are you using? What size rez? You are using R/o and that's good.

Root rot = temp problem in my opinion.

Good Luck

B

blahman

Come on bro let's work through this. We can solve this problem!!

What size buckets are you using? What size rez? You are using R/o and that's good.

Root rot = temp problem in my opinion.

Good Luck

Yes i'm going to have to get a chiller i guess. I need one now though and not later. I highly doubt I can get one locally. The only thing i'm worried about is forking out the money for a chiller and still end up not being able to defeat this rot and tossing these in soil.

My buckets today were 22.8. But yesterday they were about 26 before my a/c cooled the room.

12 litre buckets, 110 gallon rez and yes reverse osmosis water. About 5-10 ppm with a 5.1-5.5 ph. Odd though recently my ro water went from 6.0 for years to 5.5 that drops to 5.1 or so after a day or so of sitting.

Its such a slow rot, new white growth continually that eventually turns brown and rots after a few days.

I'm about to do a full change and suck up some dead matter floating in the bottom of the buckets. Which I think is causing my ph drops. What would you suggest i add to the system? I added sm-90 a couple days ago. Should I try H202 and lots of it? Can sm-90 and h202 be used together??

I appreciate the help and I am determined to get this problem fixed!!!

stickyicky

stickyicky

You can cool you rez. down w/ frozen water bottles until the chiller comes in.

I would order that as soon as possible. At this time of year they start flying off the shelves. I had to wait 6 wks. on back order for mine.

I do believe this could be your only problem. Everything else is in check.

Good Luck

B

blahman

rez was 22 today and pots were 22.6. My Ac is cooling things down a bit. I'm also getting a much much larger a/c system next week 4 ton unit. I'm hoping I can get away without a chiller for now. *crosses fingers* they were much more expensive then I expected. If I could afford one I would, but I just can't at the moment. So i'm hoping keeping things around 22 will be ok.

My water in the rez is much clearer looking, I can see the bottom of the 55 gal drums with ease. So i'm going to continue adding h202 for a while to see if things continue to clear up. I'm still not sure if its ok to add h202 and sm-90 together. I get conflicting answers on the subject.

Also I have enough airstones and tubing to pop a airstone in each pot. So I might do that as well, why not I guess.

stickyicky

stickyicky

Depending on how much air the stones give off, is it a possibility that you may "air prune" your roots?

For example: When I used a basket type medium on my ebb and flow tables the roots protruding from the sides of basket were "air pruned" (ie. no roots protruding from sides).

Just a thought.

I really don't think you need air stones in the buckets.

B

blahman

Depending on how much air the stones give off, is it a possibility that you may "air prune" your roots?

For example: When I used a basket type medium on my ebb and flow tables the roots protruding from the sides of basket were "air pruned" (ie. no roots protruding from sides).

Just a thought.

I really don't think you need air stones in the buckets.

My air pumps have 12 outputs , each has a valve to regulate the air pressure. I have the air stones set to give a gentle bubble of air. So it should be ok. I'm now getting alot of new light green growth so i'm upping the ppm to around 600 of just straight sensi grow a & b. It seems they are perking up. But the roots are a light brown color after my dose of H202. Not as many dead roots though. A couple plants are exploding with root growth. Hopefully i'm getting a leg up on this. *crossing my fingers* so i can flip these to flower.

B

blahman

Well h202 did me in, the root rot is back with a vengence and its 100x as bad. The h202 seemed to clear it up for a couple days but now its worse then ever. I double checked the flooding water temp and its 70.9. I got the room temp and water temp under control and it still did not help the issue. I guess when the root rot is set in theres no getting rid of it. So i'm giving up and packing this hydro grow in. I'm throwing the healthy looking plants in soil. My first failed hydro grow and this is probably my 50th.

Latest posts

Top Bottom