Flowa's SMALLEST monster plant (Amsterdam Gold only 21 days vegged)

• Thread starter flowamasta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
flowamasta

flowamasta

Hey Flow,
Ive read through almost all your threads and surely do credit your past grows for inspiring my current setup. I have a few questions if you have the time though... Currently im running a hempy tote (15 gallons bout) in a very small 3'X3' Tent, 100% Perlite with the traditional 2" reservoir at the bottom. Ive never grown Hempy style before (Space has never been an issue) but it seems soooo easy I couldnt pass up the opportunity. I threw some airstones in the bottom of my tote to oxygenate the res and have a drip system setup that I MANUALLY turn on at feeding time from a seperate 5 gallon bucket... not for any other purpose than because I had the parts laying around and I want to make sure that I evenly soak my perlite every feeding. My question has to do with your external res and the benefits compared to cons when run against a passive wick system, as it sure doesnt seem like it would be too much additional work to set one up. Are you running a chiller in there or does it maintain acceptable temps? Im trying to run a 1000W HPS for flower in that small tent and Im concerned about ambients being too high to be acceptable... Is it worth the head ache of setting up a recirc??? Oh and also.... Not running the UVB this time round?? :) ...thanks for any response I really appreciate the time!! -S0uP
WOW :) Thanx heaps for the detailed response!,
I most appreciate how much effort you have put in detail! The 3 x 3 tent is a little smaller, especially for 1000 watts, i think a 600 would be plenty for maximum penetration, 1000's are used mainly for high ceilings and tall plants, you need a widespread max output lamp.... I'm running 2 600's but 1 only come on for 3 hours during the cold of the nigbt. I can keep acceptable temps in my res by freezing 2 x 2litre ice cream blocks of water and placing them in the separate res every night, about 50% of what she consumes through the night so not to dilute the res too much and still getting plenty of fresh water.
I think recirc is the go, passive wick is inefficient compared to a recirc hempy.. imo. Reirc is simple and highly effective, i strongly recommend. Just make sure to learn how to make joiners and feed lines for the pump and return so they are next to each other in 1 corner of your res. I'll get some pics next update show how its all setup.

ooS0uPoo

ooS0uPoo

Cool, gonna take your advice about the res and remove it from the grow space use some frozen pop bottles in the mean time just get my recirc up and going, Im still gonna leave the aerated res at the bottom of my tote and use gravity to bring the overflow back to the res. Ive got no choice but to use the 1k since that all I have laying around at the moment (besides the cool blue 400MH I use for veg), maybe I can get a dimmable ballast in the future and just fire it at 75% or so??? If the temps just become completely unmanageable ,maybe supplement with a UVB:) either way if I can maintain temps the penetration couldn't hurt...
Anyways couple follow ups bout maintaining the res if you have time...
1. Do you experience fluctuation in ph,ppms over time in your res?
2.If so how do you counteract raising ppm over time
3.I usually ph my feeds to 5.8 is this about what you recommend as a starting point? I know its slightly strain/system specific
4. How often do you change out your res? And when you do do you flush for salt buildup or run a zyme product with your regiment?
5. When you top off your res do you bring back to stable ppm or do you just pour in some ph H2O?

Dude I know that alot of q's !! If you have time I really would appreciate it, and I know I wont be the only one on the farm to benefit from information leading to more harvest like yours bro! Very Inspiring bro, Otherwise I would be real sad about having such limited space to grow out, but suddenly I'm feeling optimistic:) Thanks in advance -S0uP

flowamasta

flowamasta

Cool, gonna take your advice about the res and remove it from the grow space use some frozen pop bottles in the mean time just get my recirc up and going, Im still gonna leave the aerated res at the bottom of my tote and use gravity to bring the overflow back to the res. Ive got no choice but to use the 1k since that all I have laying around at the moment (besides the cool blue 400MH I use for veg), maybe I can get a dimmable ballast in the future and just fire it at 75% or so??? If the temps just become completely unmanageable ,maybe supplement with a UVB:) either way if I can maintain temps the penetration couldn't hurt...
Anyways couple follow ups bout maintaining the res if you have time...
1. Do you experience fluctuation in ph,ppms over time in your res?
2.If so how do you counteract raising ppm over time
3.I usually ph my feeds to 5.8 is this about what you recommend as a starting point? I know its slightly strain/system specific
4. How often do you change out your res? And when you do do you flush for salt buildup or run a zyme product with your regiment?
5. When you top off your res do you bring back to stable ppm or do you just pour in some ph H2O?

Dude I know that alot of q's !! If you have time I really would appreciate it, and I know I wont be the only one on the farm to benefit from information leading to more harvest like yours bro! Very Inspiring bro, Otherwise I would be real sad about having such limited space to grow out, but suddenly I'm feeling optimistic:) Thanks in advance -S0uP
HA LOL! Funny man! I'll do my best.
1. I experience minor increases in ph usually, but it buffers out really well from personal experience, I leave the res for around 2-3 days depending on uptake and i will add fresh water from then on, very rarely adding more food. but in this weather i am adding an extra 2 x 2 litre blocks of ice as my addition to help cooling and for fresh water. The water will bring the ph closer to 6 where our tap water is around 6.8, knowing this helped me realize if i didn't have enough base food to buffer the ph down to 5.6-6.0 i know to add more base (bloom a+b) which naturally lowers the Ph. In my opinion i think 6.0 is a perfect ph for this system, its only then when i've checked everything thoroughly and seen my plants at their best at that time i record down in some way. I see more leaf stance pointing up gathering more energy with this ph level. Go too high and risk burning the tips, too low and risk not enough food, slow growth and a 'relaxed' or stressed looking leaf stance/vigor.
2. Additives will raise the ppm much more than your base nutes. The more base you use the less additives you can play with and the system becomes very touchy. I try to use minimum additives so i can push as much food. More food = faster healthier growth, less additives = more food available to absorb. Additives assist in repairing and transporting nutrients the base is mostly what feeds them.
3. yep 56-6.0 never lower than 5.0 no higher than 6.5. The closer you get to 5.0 the more chance of salt build up you will have. Bit of basic chemistry. acids in nature can be hygroscopic pulling moisture from the air and when one starts to dry out it will crystalize, thus pulling more moisture out of the system and crystalizes more
4.I flush every week without fail. I flush with 3 times more water than the system holds and fill the whole pot system with water and dump it via the return tap and dispose, replace with fresh water. I try to have a bucket of water ready in my bedroom overnight evaporating the chlorine that maybe still present.
5. oops think i answered this a second ago :p Oh... hang on. I no longer use zyme. I use 1 dose of Great White mycorrhizal during veg.
6. Answered above :) Good tap water fine adding more ph down unnecessarily is only adding unwanted chemicals that can lead to early breakdown of some metals like iron for instance. This reacts with Ph down quite alot.

I hope that helps :)

ooS0uPoo

ooS0uPoo

Your awesome bro just wait till I start hitting you up about the scrog :) !!!!!.... I love this farm. -S0uP

C

Chipper Pig

Jeez, you do write up some mighty good answers my friend :) !!! Your Knowledge is much appreciated!! That little plant of yours (the Gold) sure does bulk up quickly, can't wait to see it around 50 days :).

Cheers Chipper

flowamasta

flowamasta

Your awesome bro just wait till I start hitting you up about the scrog :) !!!!!.... I love this farm. -S0uP
lol :) no prob.

Jeez, you do write up some mighty good answers my friend :) !!! Your Knowledge is much appreciated!! That little plant of yours (the Gold) sure does bulk up quickly, can't wait to see it around 50 days :).

Cheers Chipper
Thanx mate, its all to the best of my knowledge, and i could be wrong in some areas, some things i have learnt through listening when i was younger, but mostly from knowledgeable people. If it makes logical sense than its usually correct, basic principal anyway.

The outdoor bush. Sorry.... Tree is coming along slowly but surely! i had to squeeze in some more cyco swell to help ripen things up, it feels like its been a loooong time. I'm pretty sure its been 6 weeks of flowering now. This thing is massive. Way to big for a backyard job, this thing must look like 4-5 plants from above being 3 metres wide and who knows how many heads!!

SAM 9271
SAM 9280
SAM 9282
SAM 9284
SAM 9286
SAM 9288
SAM 9290
SAM 9296
SAM 9297
SAM 9300

ooS0uPoo

ooS0uPoo

Hey flow,
Thanks again for the advice, I got the recirc system up and going thanks to you. i don't want to jack a thread but maybe I can post some pics later to see if you see any foreseeable problems with the way I set it up...? Anyways I was wondering if you could share where you got that pot sock? I ended up using screen to prevent Perlite from finding its way back to my res, but come harvest time I am sure that the sock would help things stay real clean, especially since I plan on re using my medium... Thanks Again -S0uP

flowamasta

flowamasta

Hey flow,
Thanks again for the advice, I got the recirc system up and going thanks to you. i don't want to jack a thread but maybe I can post some pics later to see if you see any foreseeable problems with the way I set it up...? Anyways I was wondering if you could share where you got that pot sock? I ended up using screen to prevent Perlite from finding its way back to my res, but come harvest time I am sure that the sock would help things stay real clean, especially since I plan on re using my medium... Thanks Again -S0uP
Sounds like you got things happening :)

I don't see why you can't post some pics up :) i'd be happy to see how you do things. The pot socks come and go, sometimes i have trouble finding them, keep trying ebay, or garden stores. If you can use something else go for it, it just needs to be inert to chemicals or oxidizing if you want reliability, I'm not 100% keen on re-using a medium, I know you can especially with hydroton/perlite, but it does powder down eventually and doesn't hold its new fresh quality. Boiling it would help i think, but its such a cheap medium in my books i just use new everytime, and bin the old. Its also non-toxic and safe for the environment, even chooks love to eat perlite :p believe me.....

Lets have a look at Amsterdam Gold now ey!? day 20 Flowering. She was falling over all over the place last night, so i jumped in there to run some temporary oven twine until i get some more .... something to hold these up, i didn't think i'd need to but these colas are putting on weight so damn fast the stems can barely support them! These colas are nearly on par (size wise) with my outdoor!! They will be nice and big!! and looks like nice frosty quality too :)

SAM 9304
SAM 9305
SAM 9308
SAM 9312
SAM 9321
SAM 9322
SAM 9324
SAM 9327
SAM 9333

ooS0uPoo

ooS0uPoo

View attachment 297504
20130313 153100

20130313 153048

Hey Flow,
So these are the pictures of my XXX clones in the modified Bato/Hempy bucket...Im using the same simple gravity drain line back to my 5 gallon external res that you set up (In theory at least). I will be picking up some halo drip circles or making some myself over the weekend to better soak my perlite uniformly, but for now the single 1/4" spaghetti lines feeding each of the clones are sufficient. I have air stones both in the bottom of my medium reservoir and the external one. So far Im circulating every 3 hours for 20 minutes and haven't noticed too many swings in ph. My res temps keep wanting to climb to the 72F mark so Ive been changing out the frozen pop bottles like 2-3 times a day which is a bitch. I'm thinking about running zone or something like that to help prevent any pathogen build up....Since this is my first go at hydro I'm kinda at a loss, but from what I understand this top feed system should be a little less temperamental when it comes to res temperature than say a DWC setup. Anyways since I added the top feed you suggested the clones look REAL happy and they haven't even hit the bucket reservoir yet so I wanted to say thanks:) Below is a pic of one of my SkyWalker OG plants at last harvest (When I had room for a real setup and was sticking to familiar soil) I'm hoping that with a little trial and error and your help I can replicate the production level with such a small area to grow in! Thanks again dude!-S0uP
IMG 6971
IMG 6973

C

Chipper Pig

G'day Flowa, hope you have had a fine week? I am going to see if my chooks will eat perlite, they love eating mull leaf!! I just thought i would put some progress pictures of my hempy room up. After the week of no water, they have bounced back really well. They are currently 10 days into flower.
P1010349

A pic of the Gravita Pro 1000. This run it has been in a fixed position on ceiling. Ran it at 750 watt for grow period and is now running at 1000 watts. It does get fairly warm being a open hood. I find it to be a great light though, lovely even spread from it's tiny hood!
P1010352

P1010353

The plant at the back is my trusty old self named Karragullen Cross. The front plant is a Green House Seeds-Moby Dick. I grew the Dick out last grow under a 600 watt hps in a 1.2 grow tent, and got just over 10 oz of it. The Dick was in with a Green House Seeds-Exodus Cheese which it out grew. The Cheese yielded just under 7 oz. I have a Exodus Cheese in the tent by herself at the moment, also coming along well:)
P1010351

Cheers Chipper Pig.

C

Chipper Pig

....had some cheesy bum nuts for breakfast this morning man:( kinda wish it was a chipmunk now.

You cant beat fresh eggs my friend! Shop brought eggs run all over place when cracked into a pan. Fresh home eggs stay together and taste way better. That goes for pretty much everything that you grow for yourself though! I am just starting on the home brew and distilling my own sprirts. Going to try make some of Flowa's lovely honey oil with some 90-95% ethanol that my neighbours still spits out. I have a 27 litre sugar wash bubbling away right now. Should that work Flowa? It's not 100% ethanol but should be better(maybe healthier)than using a hydrocarbon?

Cheers Chipper Pig.

C

Chipper Pig

I have only just started brewing and it has already turned into quite a good hobby. Just bottled my first pear cider today, some of the bottles got a dash of black current juice. I So many different things to try out. Just like the world of cannabis:). I will come to you for advice if needed then SouP ;)

Cheers Chipper Pig

flowamasta

flowamasta

LOL YOU GUYS!!! crack up! come back to this...... lol! Wow wow wow on all the pics! I feel like an web celebrity :p jk feels great to see people trying out things like my method :) I hope it all goes well!!

Hey Soup... Is that 2 return lines you have? just curious looks like you got it sorted man, that ganja tells me you know your growing :)

Chipper :) sweet work man, brings back memories to how my very first grow looked like on black crates ;) awesome indeed to see you implementing my method aswell :)

Shweeeeeeeeet!!!!!! :) :)

Chipper yes you can use ethanol, i myself would do 2 grades, 1 with a quick wash, and another to take all the extra beneficials like cbd and all the rest which i think adds a gret kick even if it does have some contaminants like chlorophyl. A quick was will dissolve most if not all the round glandular trichs with ease and you will get a highly psychoactive clean golden/yellow oil. .insane stuff i tell ya.

Here's the outdoor :p not long. Not 2 weeks to go.... told you Jack was a quick finisher ;) not even 1 week to go. i got colas falling over EVERYWHERE. She is oooozing with nectar and stinking out the ganjagods. Not to mention the entire block, so back out i go to the tent to stay on guard again, got an extension cord, phone charger and phone games to keep me entertained and a high powered telescope if a any UFO's pop out :p

sorry guys phone pics didnt work :( i'll try again tomorrow with my good cam.

ooS0uPoo

ooS0uPoo

I have only just started brewing and it has already turned into quite a good hobby. Just bottled my first pear cider today, some of the bottles got a dash of black current juice. I So many different things to try out. Just like the world of cannabis:). I will come to you for advice if needed then SouP ;)

That sounds awesome Chipper I bet they turn great. How long do you leave them bottled before they are "Ready"? I haven't ventured into home brewing yet, I just run my still every so often...:) But any Q's you have I will be glad to pass on what little I have learned in my experience. Theres something really great about being "Self reliant" in all forms... I wish I had more space here in the states I think I would be almost off the grid entirely by now. I guarantee you those eggs you are talking about are better than any store bought you can find.

Hey Soup... Is that 2 return lines you have? just curious looks like you got it sorted man, that ganja tells me you know your growing :)

Thanks for the compliment Flowa!:) but we will see how this Hydro thing works out...o_O Im battling with the light situation in there for flower right now (Whether to get a dimmable ballast and run my 1000w at a lower percentage, or maybe pick up a 400w phillips CMH bulb, I really dont want to spend the coin on a 600w setup but that's always an option...) Decisions, decisions.
I think I will have to wait to see how the 2 clones fill up my screen and decide how much penetration is necessary when the time comes.That is 2 return lines on my tote though!:cool: I made a fail safe when I first was planning the hempy tote, like a primary and overflow and just incorporated it to the final design with the external res. Works well though, keeps my perlite wet without flooding it so Im not gonna change it at all..
I do have two questions for you if you dont mind:happy:

1. Do you notice any Big differences from using 2 screens for SCROG (I think I have seen you use them in the past?

2. What are you keeping your res temps at? Im kinda tempted to let mine sit at 72*F, run a bit of zone or H2O2 and deal with the consequences. I dont think that the res is going to be Fucking with my root zone temp in any drastic way (20min/3Hours) but I am painfully in experienced at this as of yet.... What are your opinions?

And finally, You didnt know you were an internet celebrity??? :D Ive been doing hempy research on other forums as well as this one and heard your name mentioned more than once for your grows over here!!!...Just dont let it go to your head!:finger: J/K. - S0uP

flowamasta

flowamasta

That sounds awesome Chipper I bet they turn great. How long do you leave them bottled before they are "Ready"? I haven't ventured into home brewing yet, I just run my still every so often...:) But any Q's you have I will be glad to pass on what little I have learned in my experience. Theres something really great about being "Self reliant" in all forms... I wish I had more space here in the states I think I would be almost off the grid entirely by now. I guarantee you those eggs you are talking about are better than any store bought you can find.

Thanks for the compliment Flowa!:) but we will see how this Hydro thing works out...o_O Im battling with the light situation in there for flower right now (Whether to get a dimmable ballast and run my 1000w at a lower percentage, or maybe pick up a 400w phillips CMH bulb, I really dont want to spend the coin on a 600w setup but that's always an option...) Decisions, decisions.
I think I will have to wait to see how the 2 clones fill up my screen and decide how much penetration is necessary when the time comes.That is 2 return lines on my tote though!:cool: I made a fail safe when I first was planning the hempy tote, like a primary and overflow and just incorporated it to the final design with the external res. Works well though, keeps my perlite wet without flooding it so Im not gonna change it at all..
I do have two questions for you if you dont mind:happy:

1. Do you notice any Big differences from using 2 screens for SCROG (I think I have seen you use them in the past?

2. What are you keeping your res temps at? Im kinda tempted to let mine sit at 72*F, run a bit of zone or H2O2 and deal with the consequences. I dont think that the res is going to be Fucking with my root zone temp in any drastic way (20min/3Hours) but I am painfully in experienced at this as of yet.... What are your opinions?

And finally, You didnt know you were an internet celebrity??? :D Ive been doing hempy research on other forums as well as this one and heard your name mentioned more than once for your grows over here!!!...Just dont let it go to your head!:finger: J/K. - S0uP
lol :) just woke up from a huge power nap! Seems as though the tent outside isnt giving me enough sleep! Or maybe i'm a little on edge with this behemoth of a plant in my yard!

A heli flew past yesterday and luckily she's big enough to crouch under so nothing looked suss, its hard to get in and out of the grow spot with good reason :) probably noone anyway, but i dare say my plant is visible from the air.

1. ;) I used 2 screens to try and help divide the 2 layers of canopy. Aswell as cleaning up spindly growth, trimming and cleaning up in general i try to make sure there is a 'main' canopy and a 'secondary' below with a mid clean section so light can disperse evenly and reach the right buds. Also to hold up the crazy weight my system seems to produce. 2 screens can help, depends on the given strain too. Indicas flower short and straight away, so setting up 2 screens takes a little more thinking, some LST and some criss crossing of some branches, everything looks and grows like a tangled mess, but it all usually holds up. The 2nd net can also be strictly for cola support and the lower screen can be used to tuck and weave during the beginning of flowering to get a nice even canopy.

To be honest i try not to worry about my res temp as much as the level itself. Anything upto 28 degrees is ok in this system providing you don't leave certain bacteria to fester into a fungus or mould or root rot! but flushing weekly helps immensely and during the hottest part of the day add some ice during feed time. But after each 8-10 litres of ice i would add a 50% strength base to help buffer the ph and stay below 6.

Trust me Ice helps. I seem to remember everyday to freeze 2 x 2 litre ice cream tubs full of water and add both after the 2nd or 3rd day after a new nutrient change. On your 5th or 6th day you can let your plant drink some of that res up, but remember the perlite can take 5-10 minutes to completely soak up the water/nutes so make sure there is enough in there to NOT let the pump run dry. Also, the more water in your res the less it will heat up.

1 more thing :) Personally i would remove the air pump from the growing area, use nice long tubing, and pump from the coolest part of the room where there is a constant supply of fresh air. You don't want that sucking up stale hot air which then heats the res dramatically. Keep it low, but higher than the nutrient level, this prevents back-flow or flooding in the event of a blackout as the pressure inside the 2 pot system stays fairly high. Clean fresh air will help keep the res stable and provide maximum oxygen to the roots.

Who wants to see Jackie :) :) getting frosty! and finishing FAST!!! The weather is confusing her and making her bud more :) I have to watch carefully now, as alot of the trichomes are now amber perhaps due to the long flowering time and HOOOOOOT sun!? either way, i never expected this ridiculous thing.

SAM 9358
SAM 9362
SAM 9363
SAM 9379
SAM 9382
SAM 9384
SAM 9387
SAM 9390
SAM 9399
SAM 9410

Top Bottom