Flowering delayed....Fungus Gnats

• Thread starter 500lbs Guerilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Iv had great success battling fg with nematodes and yellow sticky traps.practically wipes em out within a fortnight.i did the same with all the dunks n shit to no avail.not had anything as effectiv as the nematodes.theyr real cheap too!

north knect

north knect

LS, they just live around here. Before I ever started growing inside I kept losing houseplants to them, they come in from outside and damn if I can completely eradicate them. They've not caused a terrible problem, but I think they may be one of the reasons I was having cloning problems when I used any media. Switching to an aerocloner I'm having much better pull rates.

I use the yellow traps to monitor population density.

1oz/gallon.
sorry to necropost lol but im just curious as to how you would decide if its an infestation or under control..im using a TLO soil in a 2x4 space and get them on and off, i too use the yellow stickies..some days i catch 5 and other days il catch 50..i kill probably 10 when i water as they fly out of the soil..so in that space would u say catching at time 50 a day would be infested? i dont seem to notice an issue on my plants, all i do is yellow stickies and dust some DE when the top of pots are dry occasionally

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's an infestation if you're losing plants. I got to a point where I couldn't even sprout seeds of ANYTHING, they'd eat 'em up and gobble 'em down. I was really banging my head, too. Then, for whatever reason, I started reading the label of my Spinosad. It treats FGs and fruit flies (I've started lacto-fermenting and the fruit flies can get seriously outta control, but I'm not sure they're fruit flies, they're so tiny!). A neighbor told me they'll breed in drains and to bleach them every few weeks, and that in combination with the Spinosad has all but eliminated the problems I was having near and in the house.

If you're just getting some on the stickies and have no other issues, you're probably ok. Do keep in mind, however, that they can help vector some diseases so you do want to stay on top of them. :)

P

Pimples

Well i went downstairs and checked my stickies....really good. They arw loaded with fungis gnats for sure. Sucks but at least not root aphids. Thank God. My plants arw healthy look wise but the buds look lile week 4 buds and iam hitting week 6. Loose. Trichs are still there. Smell. But just loose not dense like they should be. Iam going to start battle today with them Little fukers. Iam pissed. I loaded up my other half of the garden (2 rooms actually....spread 4 to 6 week harvests.) the other day with 20 short bushy bad ass girls of 4 different strains. Iam gonna hit these with something (prolly nematode) tonight before they get out of hand. No gnats in there i see yet....bit they are there. I just know it. If ive made it inhospitable to the close to harvey crop....they sure as shit made it to the freshly flipped room. I got everything automated as much as a can with timers pumps dehueys and ac....co2...you get the point. So i dont go downstairs that much once i set the canopy up.....just let em rip and grow. So thats how i didnt notice the gnat larvae munching on my roots.....delaying harvest. ...loose airy buds. Never again. This is costing me money and time and my patients will not like it one bit. Pissed rite the fuk off. My own fault. Automation breeds a slacker grower apparently. Iam better than this.

Last edited:
P

Pimples

Hey Seamaiden.....i got an older bottle of Monetrey i kept around. I had thrips a couple years ago. Think that wpuld be a good route to go if i sprayed the soil with it? Monterey Garden Spray with spinosad? Get a fresh bottle? Thought spinosad was mainly for. Thrips.

P

Pimples

It's an infestation if you're losing plants. I got to a point where I couldn't even sprout seeds of ANYTHING, they'd eat 'em up and gobble 'em down. I was really banging my head, too. Then, for whatever reason, I started reading the label of my Spinosad. It treats FGs and fruit flies (I've started lacto-fermenting and the fruit flies can get seriously outta control, but I'm not sure they're fruit flies, they're so tiny!). A neighbor told me they'll breed in drains and to bleach them every few weeks, and that in combination with the Spinosad has all but eliminated the problems I was having near and in the house.

If you're just getting some on the stickies and have no other issues, you're probably ok. Do keep in mind, however, that they can help vector some diseases so you do want to stay on top of them. :)
I laid down Safer Stickies with the green spike at the soil line and in 2 days each card had 20 gnats easily. They are gnats too. I checked with my microscope really good (got the end of the scope all sticky lol). Fukers. They are making mu plants stall out and loose buds. My Chemdog #4 should be tight. Glue should be rock hard by now. Wow. Iam so mad. It was just 6 4 footers under 2000 watts. An in betweener from the real deal crop i just loaded. But my patients need this one. I do too.

Last edited:
P

Pimples

I wanna go out full nuclear with Bayer fruit and citrus or tree and shrub.....bad. But its not very ethical and i wont do it.

P

Pimples

Its the same shit my wife puts on the back of our cats necks when they get fleas. Imidacloprid. Nope. I cant put that on my plants so close to harvey

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
fungus gnats feast on dead roots so if you take away the food by cleaning up your root zone they will dissipate fast. Then you add the nematodes and it's game over. Then spray your pots with pyrethrum a couple times to get the flyers.
If you don't deal with your root problems you will never have them under control. Even when I used promise a systemic pesticide the gnats were back doing what they do 2 weeks later once they wore off because I had sick slow drinking plants in the room.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Fwiw hypoapsis miles worked wonders for me. They're quite persistent. I'm doing multiple daily irrigations in coco and was still finding hypos crawling in my pots months after the last application.

ken dog

ken dog

I like what has been said... I have had really good success with Gnatrol.

I had an infestation in my room, and didn't want to throw out my mother plants so I treated my mother's with Gnatrol... Kept the soiless medium and I am gnat free after three months now.

Gnatrol must be used with RO water.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey Seamaiden.....i got an older bottle of Monetrey i kept around. I had thrips a couple years ago. Think that wpuld be a good route to go if i sprayed the soil with it? Monterey Garden Spray with spinosad? Get a fresh bottle? Thought spinosad was mainly for. Thrips.
Do a soil drench with it. IIRC it's something like 15-30mls/gal. It works for thrips, Sciariid flies (this includes fruit flies I think), spider mites and... some other stuff I can't recall off the top of my head.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
You can kill gnats .......just wont be successful with any sprays .u can knock them down till end of harvest and get what u get but the only way to eradicate is to wait until harvest and get down and dirty with bleach. Scrub every piece of equipment u have. I tried everything and battled those fucks for almost a year. Spay all your mothers with pyrithamine. Not spelled right i know. Clean clone area e ith bleach first. Take new clones throw everything else out. Fuck organic great soil blah blah. And just stsrt over. Treat clones every 5 dayd with spray for 21 days. Which is a gnat life cycle. Then replant and give it another whirl. Cleanliness is key my peeps. Bleach all your shit inbetween runs. Especially hydro equipment. Farm on......
I understand keeping it clean but bleach doesn't do shit to gnats imho.

ken dog

ken dog

I'm pretty sure if you clean and bleach everything, and let it dry completely, nothing will survive that direct application.
Pretty sure, but it is not an absolute empirical fact to my knowledge... however, it is empirical to my experience.

Top Bottom