Flowering with a 10K bulb

• Thread starter symbiote420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
symbiote420

symbiote420

I just left my peeps garden he's running (8) 600s, he's in the 6th week of flower now but in the 2nd week one of his bulbs popped so he opted to use the 10K Ultra-Sun he already had instead of getting a new bulb. Anyway after checking out his plants I came upon the 3 under the 10K they were so much more resinous than the others, if I didn't know better I might of thought they were different strains, now i know that the 10K at the end of flowering does this, but he's doing a whole bloom cycle with one. Has anyone else done this? I'm going to run one during the last two weeks this crop, but if his does good I might start running these for flower myself, Whatcha think?

C

claudacio

Are you saying 1000 watt light or a 10,000 watt light. 10k = 10,000. I've never heard of but if your saying 10 1 k lights ok, but even still I'm not sure more watts/lumens are going to create more resin, maybe some due to "just more" but my guess would be the other light being used puts out more UVB, I believe thats what will increase resin production. I have recently been reading about adding more UVB to my garden to increase resin due to the plant trying to protect itself from the harmful part of the sun/light beating on it, think of it as trippy sun tan lotion.

N

Ne Obliviscaris

According to a quick search "Sun Pulse 10k" is a product name. Sun Pulse is the manufacturer and they have a bunch of differen "__k" bulbs that look like they reflect the spectral ranges of the bulbs (although the numbers they're using arent on any scale im familiar with).

Since new bulbs often produce more lumens than old bulbs it might be the case that its the freshness of the bulb thats driving the increase in growth you're seeing in the buds rather than this being a reflection of this particular brand/model being better than the other bulbs he's using. You need to do a side by side for this kinda thing, which shouldnt be an issue if he's running 8 bulbs.

symbiote420

symbiote420

I meant the 10,000 kelvin Ultra Sun MH bulb, his Pineapple Express, Cindy 99, and Purple Kush are the most resinous plants I have ever seen at the beginning of 6 weeks, they literally look like they were wet and rolled in sugar. The plants are all from the same moms, I know truthfully the mixed spectrum of both the HPS and 10,000 k MH is a part of the reason, but they are in the corner of his room getting mostly the MH light though, dunno but I'll be getting one tomorrow.

symbiote420

symbiote420

According to a quick search "Sun Pulse 10k" is a product name. Sun Pulse is the manufacturer and they have a bunch of differen "__k" bulbs that look like they reflect the spectral ranges of the bulbs (although the numbers they're using arent on any scale im familiar with).

Since new bulbs often produce more lumens than old bulbs it might be the case that its the freshness of the bulb thats driving the increase in growth you're seeing in the buds rather than this being a reflection of this particular brand/model being better than the other bulbs he's using. You need to do a side by side for this kinda thing, which shouldnt be an issue if he's running 8 bulbs.

He says 4 of the HPS bulbs are brand new he recently upgraded from 4 lights to 8 this cycle the others haven't been used more than 2 crops. I've ran new bulbs before and they have never given me resins the way I've seen it on those plants today.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I have extensively used these bulbs. Whilst he will indeed experience increased resin production, he will experience a decrease in yield. If he doesn't see too much drop it's because of the light from the other lamps.

I also find that by running the 10k for much more than the intended final week can cause burning issues with the end product. I ran for final 3 weeks during flush. This caused the plants to burn as if they had nt been flushed at all. But his saving grace will be the presence of the surrounding hps light to boost the red spectrum and photosynthesis.

N

noone88

I have extensively used these bulbs. Whilst he will indeed experience increased resin production, he will experience a decrease in yield. If he doesn't see too much drop it's because of the light from the other lamps.

I also find that by running the 10k for much more than the intended final week can cause burning issues with the end product. I ran for final 3 weeks during flush. This caused the plants to burn as if they had nt been flushed at all. But his saving grace will be the presence of the surrounding hps light to boost the red spectrum and photosynthesis.

Which weeks do you use the 10k bulbs? All through flower or for the final weeks?

Was thinking about giving them a try in my next bulb change, but using a combination of 70/30 HPS/10k sun pulse

symbiote420

symbiote420

That's what I figured herb, the surrounding light was contributing to bud size because I've grown strictly under MH lights before and the yield was no slouch, but it just wasn't what I get off of the HPS lighting although the resins under MH and even flos has always appeared better this 10K bulb really blew my mind yesterday.
I checked the Ultra Sun it's less than 1/2 the price of the Sunpulse, If I can get back over there today I'll see if he lets me snap a couple pics to show you guys!
I'm on my way to the hydro store today to grab one fo sho.

S

ShamanGang

I use a 1khps a 1kmh and a 1k hps in that order over my indoor table. I've used 1k mh 1khps 1khps in that order too under a sea of green with the MH in forst stage for more growth.......but
The extra blue light does somethin special to the buds and also that uv retards mold growth a ton. It may be just me but my flowerin time increases buy a week with more mh in bloom my nugs are way denser n my weight goes way way up.... This actually increases my yeilds but I only use MH for a supplement still use 1k horti hps for main sunshine.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

I use a 10,000 k bulb for finishing. The 400w is the biggest wattage I've found.

There is a bunch of info in this thread about the whys and wherefores. Some theorize resin production is enhanced from the uvb that the 10,000 gives off. I think it works well but since it wasn't in a controlled experiment I didn't want to post up about it because of the haters. It really does seem to be worth the $40.

D

Dogwap

I wonder if you could apply this logic to CFLs. My fixture holds eight bulbs. Currently planned to flower with 2700k bulbs. Maybe I could sneak a couple of blue lights in there.

Are there any CFLs that run cooler (higher K) than 6500K?

M

MTgrower

I've been using SunPulse MH bulbs for flowering, including the 10K. I own 250W, 400W, and 1000W 10K bulbs. All of the SunPulse bulbs produce UVA, UVB, and UVC.

I also use air cooled hoods with water cooled heat scrubbers (Ice Box). In order to maximize the effect, I have to remove the glass from the hoods.

I've been extremely pleased with the results from using 3K 1000W MH bulbs for the majority of the flowering cycle, and the 10K bulbs for finishing the last two weeks.

If you don't have a good amount of vertical space to play with, the 1000W 10K may be too powerful, and produce too much heat. Remember that these need to be run without any glass in your hood. For this reason, I have switched to running the 400W 10K bulbs from Sunpulse with great results. I am going to experiment with using the 250W bulbs, hung vertically for use throughout the entire flowering cycle.

I've also started to run one room with a mixture of new "Digital HPS" bulbs and 3K 1000W Sunpulse bulbs (1/1). The first harvest that came out of that room didn't have significantly more weight than the previous harvest when the plants were under all 3K 1000W MH lights.

The only problem I've had with some Sunpulse bulbs (None have burnt out in over two years), is that some have warped. I contacted the company and they said it was my fault. I then contacted the store I bought the bulbs from, and they said it isn't my fault (already knew that), and it appeared that there was a shitty run of bulbs where the glass isn't as thick as it was supposed to be or something. I don't really care because I just take in a bulb if it warps, and they give me a brand new one.

That has been my experience. I use them, and I'm pleased with the results.

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Hey fellas, just picked up a 1000 10k Ultra Sun. Off topic, sorry, but any info or links on how they stack nodes in veg compared to the 6500k or even a t5. Thanks for any help.

T

Tattooed420

Are you saying 1000 watt light or a 10,000 watt light. 10k = 10,000. I've never heard of but if your saying 10 1 k lights ok, but even still I'm not sure more watts/lumens are going to create more resin, maybe some due to "just more" but my guess would be the other light being used puts out more UVB, I believe thats what will increase resin production. I have recently been reading about adding more UVB to my garden to increase resin due to the plant trying to protect itself from the harmful part of the sun/light beating on it, think of it as trippy sun tan lotion.
It's a 10000k Spectrum not 10000 lumens.

Top Bottom