Flowering?

• Thread starter greenjoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenjoe

greenjoe

Hey......Does flowering start when the first sight of those white hairs come out........they are outdoor,so 12/12 does not apply i believe as 12/12 outside would be sometime at the end of sept for me

thanks

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
OD I don't think about it until those hairs start becoming actual bud sites. I calculate on a weekly timeframe instead of using days for the OD girls, too.

When those first pistils appear that's called pre-flowering.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
In indoor we do recreat the shortest day of the year for the flowering and the longest for the veg part which 12/12 and 18/6. In oudoor the longest day of the year is the 21 june 18 hours of light and 6 hours of night. After this day the days will now decrease slowly untill the shortest day 12 hours of ligh 12 hours of ight.

Thats why indoor speed up things. Ur plant are showing their sex now, they start bud around now and the end of july for the fastest strains. Today u can get ur hand on some autoflowering strain that will allow u to harvest earlier than traditional sept/oct or almost nov for some strains.

So i guess for u yes it will be end of september, what are the strain u growing?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For my location the summer solstice photoperiod is 14.5 hours, nowhere near the 18 hours you're mentioning. Harvest for me happens in October to November, September I still have an awful lot of growing to get done and they do it. Proper flowering can begin as early as May, and I'm seeing it for the first time with seed-grown girls this early. I still have others that are only popping pistils and haven't set buds yet.

Use this to get your latitude (also gives your longitude): http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

Then use THIS, be sure to plug in YOUR latitude or it won't calculate properly:
http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html

greenjoe

greenjoe

My iranian g-13(fast flowering).which were planted june 10,are really fast growers...these will be finished 1st 2nd week of sept........the other ones i was talking about(OG)..the breeder says 8-9 weeks from starting of flowering......i guess i am just trying to figure out when those 8-9 weeks will end..But those hairs are not coming from the tip areas,just a few nodes down, so i guess october it will be.......thanks for the input

420king-spaded

i agree with seamaiden you cant really count days out-doors gotta go by week or two week cycle counts up here where i am in new england we harvest from end of august[strain dependent] all the way through to end of november almost december and thats when the nuggets are really frosty with purple hints in them

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My iranian g-13(fast flowering).which were planted june 10,are really fast growers...these will be finished 1st 2nd week of sept........the other ones i was talking about(OG)..the breeder says 8-9 weeks from starting of flowering......i guess i am just trying to figure out when those 8-9 weeks will end..But those hairs are not coming from the tip areas,just a few nodes down, so i guess october it will be.......thanks for the input
I could be wrong, but I think those numbers from the breeders are for indoor-grown plants. When doing it OD I think it's really important to learn how to read the plant, especially in a case like this where you're trying to compare the indoor finishing times with how the plant might perform outdoors. One big thing is to be sure you don't short yourself crop by harvesting too early.

Have your girls got actual buds setting (think of how an apple tree might produce and how you'd say, Ok, that flower's been pollinated but it's not quite yet an apple, then you come back a couple of weeks later and dayumn, there's a little apple!), or just hair-popping? I have OD girls in both stages I could try to photograph for you if need be.

C

CanadianClassic

Force them to flower so they finish early stick a garbage bag over them for a few days when its not hot out that will trigger budding here in BC if i never did that in the past i woulda lost tons of crops due to mold cause come late sept early OCT it just pours here and kills bud.

Good luck with the ladies!!!

southstreets

southstreets

Hey......Does flowering start when the first sight of those white hairs come out........they are outdoor,so 12/12 does not apply i believe as 12/12 outside would be sometime at the end of sept for me

thanks

if you dont see pre flowers starting.. thats when the pistils create a caplike formation on ur tops then there prob just showing sex.. if its a cple pistils and not a ton of'em then its prob just showing sex.. hope this helps a lil bit..

F

farmerjohn

Just to get technical & answer a few questions that may be out there, here is wikipedia's explanation of the Autumnal Equinox.:help:

An equinox occurs twice a year, when the tilt of the Earth's axis is inclined neither away from nor towards the Sun, the centre of the Sun being in the same plane as the Earth's equator. The term equinox can also be used in a broader sense, meaning the date when such a passage happens. The name "equinox" is derived from the Latin aequus (equal) and nox (night), because around the equinox, the night and day are approximately equally long. It may be better understood to mean that latitudes +L and -L north and south of the Equator experience nights of equal length.
At an equinox, the Sun is at one of two opposite points on the celestial sphere where the celestial equator (i.e. declination 0) and ecliptic intersect. These points of intersection are called equinoctial points: the vernal point and the autumnal point. By extension, the term equinox may denote an equinoctial point.
An equinox happens each year at two specific moments in time (rather than two whole days), when there is a location on the Earth's equator where the centre of the Sun can be observed to be vertically overhead, occurring around March 20/21 and September 22/23 each year.

There it is! Keep in mind the further away you get from the Equator, the quicker the day/night lengths change. I.E., locations nearer the Equator remains relatively close to 12/12 year round, while locations further away experience large & rapid changes in day/night length, as the days move toward or away from either Equinox.:sun2:

Now to answer the question, "When does flowering start?" In previous discussions about this, we have reached an agreement that indoors it begins with a flip of the switch to 12/12. Outdoors, it begins when you see pre-flowering & the days are shortening. Every strain will begin at a different amount of light, some with 14 hours or more, others much closer to a 12/12 split.:punch

W

wcbritt11

hey i was wondering if somebody could help me out. Im force flowering outdoor because i have to be out of the house that im in in october. the babies got started in march indoor because of this reason... they are at their full potential now, but dont have a 12/12 cycle outside. My question is, once i start to force flower them, can i stop covering them at a certain point for the 12 of dark? or do they need to be covered all the way to the finish? any advice would be appreciated

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
All the way to finish. And I think 13 hours of light would work (that'll give them a little more light, might help with the yield).

J

johard59

light cycle

In order to make a plant flower light cycle is to be reduced 12hrs a day,Light interruptions during the flowering period causes stress:anim_44:

Latest posts

Top Bottom