Fluffy Oak Leaf Compost

• Thread starter Infinite1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Infinite1

Im wondering if anybody knows what the ph is on composted oak leaves? Is it too acidic or too alkaline for pot? I was picking chanterelles, and while walking, my feet sunk up to my calves in this moist, spongy, dark brown earth. I grabbed a handfull and it looked like it would be perfect to grow in. Its in a shaded grove of old trees that have a hundred years of composted leaf litter, 18" deep under them. What do I need to add to this stuff to make it cozy for the girls? I am planning on adding coir, perlite, and worm castings. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Satta

Satta

Its likely to be pretty acidic. Perhaps consider using some as an additive rather than the bulk part of the mix. I always think of leaf composts as soil conditioners and give them a trial run to see how they work... A good addition to a nice organic mix for sure, though I must stress that I haven't used them for MJ mixes...Salvia, Blueberries, Fruit trees in pots etc. Hope this helps some...

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
it would lean to the more acidic side as Satta stated, I wouldnt use leaf mulch a single medium but as and addition to peat or soil - it should work great.

I

Infinite1

I'm getting my holes ready and am looking for a good soil mix. I'm hoping for specific ratios. Does anyone have a good soil recipe for outdoor maryjane?

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
there should be some organic guru's around here to give you some formula's

R

Redux

Got a local friend who's been growing in a greenhouse for many years and every years adds mostly only leaf mold to rebuild his soil. He's never really used any ferts...just mainly leaf mulch, some compost and fish ferts in veg...with no dolomite or even something like wood ash to keep pH in check.

A

andytoker

needs to be well composted - 2 years is good

quite acidic but a great additive.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Leaf mold is a great food for many beneficial bacteria and fungi. Adding that quality carbon as well as an established strong fungal matrix in the soil is key. Add some lime to the mix and perlite to loosen it might work out. To test the pH buy a soil test kit at Home DePot, like $6 maybe. Then go from there. Good luck. Andy's right though a great additive.

B

barletta

The stuff that is spongy on the forest floor (dark) is well composted. Add 2 tbs lime per gallon of compost, or 1 cup/cuft. Dolomite lime is best, as it contains magnesium, but I like ag lime because it is $2.85 for 40lb. My outdoor spots will be heavily amended with yard/kitchen compost, and 90% of the leaves that go into the pile are oak.

K

Kalcu

Nice, you got me thinking to compost some leaves out by some plots. I have found rotting trees before, that have fallen over a long time ago. They are like sponges and just crumble apart, something nice to add to a mix. The absorb a lot of water, any composting material does.....but these trees, or once were trees are pretty cool. And I never ever find anything living in them, I find more in store bought soil.

Top Bottom