Flush in coco?

• Thread starter ant87stang
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

ant87stang

Everyone has different answer? What's best to flush in coco. Using ro ? Light cal mag with straight water ? Others sAy never flush without nutes? Please help thanks

urban1026835

urban1026835

i dont know whats best but i tend to just flush with tap ph'd and then finish with some 1/2 strength nutrients only because that way at least in my mind they are not being starved.

works for me but as far as best or better i do not know.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Everyone has different answer? What's best to flush in coco. Using ro ? Light cal mag with straight water ? Others sAy never flush without nutes? Please help thanks
Assuming you're using chemical salt-based fertilizers, and depending on your goals, my own experience and advice says never use pure water unless your goal is to clean out the coir, and then in that case there aren't any plants growing in it, it's being prepped for the next run.

I prefer using something along the lines of a minimal amount of molasses/sugar, and/or a very, very light dose of something like Fox Farms Big Bloom. I also don't pass gallons and gallons of water through the coir, I simply taper off my feedings.

OGONLY

OGONLY

Yes I've heard the theory never flush with straight RO, I find that theory to be BS. I've been doing it for years and my end product is as solid as you will find in any high end dispensary.

I go between 7-14 days of straight, un PH'd RO. The plants don't shrivel up and die like so many here seem to think would happen lol. They seem unaffected whatsoever health wise. The only thing that happens is the leaves begin to fade to yellow, which is what I like to see in my finished plants.

A

ant87stang

I'm not talking about final flush. I have high ppm run off. Just trying to get to a normal level

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I have been using heavy 16's finish for the last week for over a year and a half now and have great results. Another thing I do, which is a trick I picked up from a friend, is to hit them with a dose of epsom salt right after the last day, kill the lights and let them sit in the dark for 3 days before I harvest.

william76

william76

Normaly I would. Run canna flush a few days then just plain water till harvest,takes 11~14 days depending on strain,and how big a feeder,the flush solutions not essential,plain waters fine,but I like to use it on heavy feeders usually I find it helps with the fade to if you time it right,76

shoestring

shoestring

Iam with seamaiden. I ''flush'' (i really hate the word and i remember when and where the concept got started and took off...i.e. overgrow.com) the last 4 to 5 days using quarter strentgth bloom nutrients which is around 250 to 350 ppm of total dissolved soilds. Iam shocked that some people flush with straight water the last 2 WEEKS in ANY hydroponic system using traditional salt based fertilizers. This is where all the action and swelling goodness occurs in all of my varieties. But hey whatever works for you. I also reuse my coir and its nice and ready for the next run. I would never give coir extreme amounts of plain unamended water. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
william76

william76

As you say whatever works,you ever wondered howa plant can staygreen even after a 7~10 day flush?stored nutrients,and flushing with waters been. around for many years to,everyone has their own way whatever works,76

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
If its too high flush it out and then come back with lower nutes until you get in range. If your ppms are way high then maybe your letting them dry out too much between feedings. Salts can build up quickly if things dry out too much. Hope that helps.

shoestring

shoestring

Also in my experience using a watering wand to lower the high content of total dissolved solids (salt) in coir is much more effective than relying on the irrigation manifold to do the job. Even with multiple daily feeds with a high runoff coir will still retain the ballast salts of spent solution. So this is what i do. 5 days before harvest i use a weak nutrient solution with a simple watering wand at once a day for about a minute (i use the stopwatch on my cell phone). I can literally see the yellow brackish and salt laden water flowing from the drain holes in the nursery grow bags. By the time at harvest my coir is at a nice 300ppm of full profile nutrient (cations full) and ready for the next run of plants. Of course removing the rootball and most of the roots is required also. I used to use an enzyme but throughout the years ive found this is really not needed. Grow on my coco culprits!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom