flushing question. how often to water during last..

• Thread starter graphicv9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

graphicv9

Hi all.
I've seached yet couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
I just want to know how often must one water during flushing. And also what must be done with the water in the little catch trays?
I'm growing in soil, some CVK and have been flusing for a week so far and have only waterd twice. And plan to water just once more. is this enough watering to properly flush? I know timewise its what most suggest. But what about the number of waterings in that two week time?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
When I flush a potted soil plant I will remove it to where I can pass several gallons of water through it, allowing everything to drain away. Then it goes back onto a regular watering schedule, and is in a slightly deprived state (pot's at its driest) before the chop. But for someone to say you need to perform X-number of waterings before the chop is difficult and depends on a few factors. Mostly pot size and root mass, but also the soil used (how quickly does it drain, does it dry out?) and how well you're watering.

So, let's say you've got a girl in a 3gal pot and you normally have to water, say... every third day. First, as she matures, this timing may have to be shortened (every 2 days), one good way to tell is when the pot has become very light. But if that's not the case then you can do as I've outlined, flush once, heavily (several gallons, allowed to drain through), then resume a normal watering schedule. Or, you can simply water only, with no more feedings.

P

phillygrower

^^That advice is spot on.
I do the same thing...bring the plant to a sink, tub or place on top of 5 gallon bucket which is covered by a milk crate.
People say 3 galllons of water per gallon of soil, but I have always just done 4 gallons of water for a 3 gallon pot, 6 gallons for a 5 gallon pot, etc...
Then, just water as before...good luck, I always try to flush for at least the final 2 weeks, sometimes 3.
Don't get worried when the leaves start changing colors. It is part of the life cycle and will make your plants MUCH better at the end...

R

robz

^^That advice is spot on.
I do the same thing...bring the plant to a sink, tub or place on top of 5 gallon bucket which is covered by a milk crate.
People say 3 galllons of water per gallon of soil, but I have always just done 4 gallons of water for a 3 gallon pot, 6 gallons for a 5 gallon pot, etc...
Then, just water as before...good luck, I always try to flush for at least the final 2 weeks, sometimes 3.
Don't get worried when the leaves start changing colors. It is part of the life cycle and will make your plants MUCH better at the end...

3 weeks before the chop really? That seems like a lot. Bet your harvest would be better if you didn't starve them fir so long.

H

HighOnTheHill

I flower most of my girls for around 60 days and give them water for the last 20. With a heavy flush on day 46. My harvest are spectacular with the smoothest smoke and aromas. Not to mention I save alot of very expensive nutes. This of course has to be adjusted with different strains. Experament:icon_spin: a little and grow the same couple of strains for a while and you will discover your very own secret recipe.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

I agree Robz. I can`t see starving them out that long but thats me. My plants really start to pack on size in those last couple of weeks. I guess that would be another reason to stay away from soil if it takes that long to flush

L

lorax108

to flush my plant which are in 4 gallon airpots I use 2x5 gallons of water + flush stuff....

JH420

JH420

I agree Robz. I can`t see starving them out that long but thats me. My plants really start to pack on size in those last couple of weeks. I guess that would be another reason to stay away from soil if it takes that long to flush

Are you really starving them out though? Once you leach the soil of nutes doesn't the plant then uses up any nutes that are stored in the plant's leaves??

M

mellokitty

hey i have a great idea, let's ALL criticise each others' grow styles, it'll be great for solidarity!

M

mellokitty

sorry, that by itself looks a LOT bitchier than i intended it to be.
what i meant is this: cannabis is a vigourous plant. it *wants to grow. anything we give it to help it along is just that - help. to flush for 2 weeks isn't 'starving' the plant. everybody has different priorities for their finished product. some want maximum yield, others want to make sure their product (or their medicine) is completely free of additives.
it also depends on your strain. i've seen thriving sativas that have been gradually harvested for 4 months and still going strong (you know, a layer at a time, naturally no nutes since before beginning the harvest). that's an extreme example from a well-known breeder's room that i had the privilege of visiting once, but to take something closer to home, i wouldn't dream of harvesting a 12 weeker without flushing for at least a month.

and i apparently have to spread some reputation around before giving it to seamaiden again.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I love that rep message. Just got the same message today. I didn't realize I was given it to sea so much. I got to spread the love can't just give it to one girl. I guess that's alright. I'll see if it let's me give it you again m.k. As far as flushing goes two to three weeks in soil is common. lot a people go longer and shorter. Most peeps inhydr go with short flushes. I go two weeks or so in coco. Whatever works for you is cool. If you want do a side by side that'd how I figure out the little things that can make my next crop better.

M

murryball

You may have to play with it a bit by running two or more side by sides with the same strain and varying the flush time. Also you can gauge by using ppm tester. Check the ppm of the water to be used before and collect the water runoff and test its ppm. This will give you an idea if the free nutrients in the soil. Finally I have been using dri clean by house and garden throughout veg and flower. It binds free salts and the manufacturer states only a two day flush is needed with this product.

W

Wrangler

Read all the feedback; but, not finding answer to my question...In an undercurrent system and trichomes are clear - STILL...Just how long does it take to turn those milky white?? At the end of 10wk bloom cycle and have nutes reduced to 600ppm's and not adding more. Do we have to wait until they turn milky white before we flush system for 2 weeks?? OR, if we start flushing now, WILL they turn white in those 2 weeks of flushing. I wanted to harvest when they JUST START turning brownish as that is what they want around here and even though I Personally like it milky white - have to do what is the custom for this area. Thanks for feedback.

M

mellokitty

@mitten: *mental image of us spreading Reputation like manure (and smearing it on sea in the process) and then planting in it* lol

Top Bottom