Fly infestations ('not fungus gnats)

• Thread starter bguwop420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bguwop420

bguwop420

I have a crazy fly infestation on my outdoor..all regular looking house Flys but they are swoll, bigger than usual and diffrent colors (green back, red back, black) I have the sticky traps up and use diatomaceous earth besides when the soil is wet from watering ..I use mosquito bit water too recently but these motherfuckers are still coming ..
Is these flies landing on my pistil hairs causing any damage? They land on my plants all day i can't stop em..
Put more sticky traps out too but those seem.to be catching all baby hoverflies for the most part

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I have a crazy fly infestation on my outdoor..all regular looking house Flys but they are swoll, bigger than usual and diffrent colors (green back, red back, black) I have the sticky traps up and use diatomaceous earth besides when the soil is wet from watering ..I use mosquito bit water too recently but these motherfuckers are still coming ..
Is these flies landing on my pistil hairs causing any damage? They land on my plants all day i can't stop em..
Put more sticky traps out too but those seem.to be catching all baby hoverflies for the most part
well what attracts flies?
animal piss and shit, dead carcasses, etc..
is the area clean and neat with the plants having their own space around them or they crowded together?.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
you should add a layer of perlite or small stone to the surface area as well..
insects/flies can spread pathogens so get it cleaned up..
and post some pictures of plants

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
What do they do to control the flies at the stables, Nick? Anything other than just keep it clean? The horsey set no how to deal with flies. i’ve seen people fill clear sandwich bags half full of water and hang them out in the sun near wherever the flies are. The prismatic effect supposedly disoriented the flies.

Last edited:
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
What do they do to control the flies at the stables, Nick? Anything other than just keep it clean?
As a rancher I can answer this - there are a multitude of products, sprays and beneficial insects that we use to control flies in barns and livestock areas.

I wouldn't recommend most of the sprays and such on plants, but the fly exterminators work well for preventative measures.. They kill the flies in their maggot stage before they become flies.

Of course you have to know where they are laying/hatching eggs for this to work, which in a farm/ranch is usually the barn and livestock pens.

Here's an article from TSC as well - https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/c...rn/horse/fly-control-strategies-for-your-barn

Edit to add - Living in rural Colorado around other cattle ranches we have black house flies and horse flies EVERYWHERE. They are a general nuisance to be around, but I have never had any problems with any of my outdoor crops due to them. They're just annoying, that's all.

bguwop420

bguwop420

well what attracts flies?
animal piss and shit, dead carcasses, etc..
is the area clean and neat with the plants having their own space around them or they crowded together?.
Yes it's clean I think it's the Dr Earth fertilizer smell attracting

bguwop420

bguwop420

you should add a layer of perlite or small stone to the surface area as well..
insects/flies can spread pathogens so get it cleaned up..
and post some pictures of plants
I added a layer of perlite but what happens when I water? My soil does need better draining but will the perlite disappear when watered ?

Top Bottom