• Thread starter Surfr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
What's up guys! And ladies...

So I have a freshly sheet rocked 20'x20' room. I'm going to be installing 3/4" foam board over the drywall for further sealing and insulation. Should I coat the drywall before throwing the foam board up?

Freshone

Freshone

I would shoot that drywall with a coat or two of kilz primer just for a good seal and it's anti microbial qualities,moisture could build between the foam and sheetrock if not sealed 100%.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
insulation is suppose to go in the wall......Not over the sheetrock.........

Your sheetrock should be mud and taped with all holes filled. This will give you a manditory 1 hour fire rating. (assuming you also bought a 90 min fire door) Then if you feel like it, put up the foam board. I would have used r-13 in the walls. (assuming they are 2x4)

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
The walls have been completely sprayfoamed. I just have 100 sheets of 3/4" rigid laying around so I figured why not? My original plan and what I have always done is coat everything with Kilz so I'll just stick to that

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
So there are no insulation properties to rigid?

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Use them as dry rooms or something. Tape them together and make cubes.

However Dunge hit the nail on the head.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Well now I'm curious as to why it wouldn't add insulation value to the room if installed? I'm not saying I'm going to install it.. I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

The foam will add insulation value (3/4" =r4 or r5?) however in the event of a fire, the foam creates massive amounts of noxious gas and smoke. This is why it is best used against concrete and behind a framed wall filled with fiberglass batt insulation and taped and mudded Sheetrock.

str8smokn

str8smokn

I don't think they are saying it wouldn't insulate more, just that it's a waste and takes up space from room
STR8

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't see why it wouldn't, its insulation. Anything that limits the tranfer of heat will provide r-value. Probably be a bitch to clean tho. Or if you're doing surface mount electrical....:D
Actually, I used those to make the walls of my old indoor room and they clean up great.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Got my whole loft area done in it.works great.cooler in summer.hotter in winter.

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

rigid insulation has an r-value of 2.5 per inch. I use it for sculpting walls thicker, creating deep recesses, and insulating exterior walls. 2" is a great insulator. If you get the silver faced, you get a freebie, it reflects better than most surfaces and easy to clean too. A layer of kilz is great too. great idea, will keep the heat out or in as you desire. peace

Top Bottom