Foam on top of Reservoir water

• Thread starter Cmurda48
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cmurda48

Cmurda48

I just switched over to Lotus nutrients for my next grow and my reservoir has a slight foamy substance floating on top of the water. Is this bad or is it normal?

B

Bdubs

It is normal. This happens when you add nutrients/supplements that contain xanthan gum or silica to allow adhesive properties to allow the nutrients/supplements to stick to the root system, to properly deliver the accumulated processed minerals/reactions taken place from them. I sometimes step back my doses of those products (T-Drops, Mammoth Silica, ect) when I see foam in the mix.

On the contrary, it could be due to bacteria present in the container used to mix. Also, it could be from not throughly dissolving the nutrients in your mix. Usually I find stirring vigorously after every nutrients added to the mix helps reduce or eliminate foam.

B

Bdubs

One observation I have made is that (I use a hose from outside faucet): if I do not allow water to run and spray out the “foam” first (bacteria riden), even when using my c-85 in line carbon filter, it will foam my nutrient mix as bacteria. For me, it is the bacteria from the rubber hose from sitting outside and has to be purged before I can fill my buckets.

Cmurda48

Cmurda48

It is normal. This happens when you add nutrients/supplements that contain xanthan gum or silica to allow adhesive properties to allow the nutrients/supplements to stick to the root system, to properly deliver the accumulated processed minerals/reactions taken place from them. I sometimes step back my doses of those products (T-Drops, Mammoth Silica, ect) when I see foam in the mix.

On the contrary, it could be due to bacteria present in the container used to mix. Also, it could be from not throughly dissolving the nutrients in your mix. Usually I find stirring vigorously after every nutrients added to the mix helps reduce or eliminate foam.
Thank you very much. I can see from your profile when it comes to hydroponic weed, you know what your talking about!

Cmurda48

Cmurda48

Hey, you were right. PH is holding steady, and the foam is actually almost gone and my plant looks really healthy so far! Thanks again for the advise!

20231015 223223
Top Bottom