foil tape & assorted

• Thread starter gudkarma
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gudkarma

foil tape... the vice grips of the home gardener... is an awesome thing.

i use it on everything except BDSM with the wifey.

however, on my homemade cloners, it definitely seems to need replacing every 2 to three runs.

i'm wondering if anybody has used black duct tape (or something similar) with a high degree of success?

side note : please dont tell me about plastic paint... if you run bunches of cuts... you'll find that shit to be "cutting poison" after it flakes off. plastic paint also has a tendency to blister when used on the bottom of the cloner lid (inside toward the water) ...and hold mad nasties.

ask me how i know these things?

this is imperative as my cloners are w/o cuts.

if you know SOG then you know the above ==> aint cool.

advice?

should i just be replacing the foil tape & go on with life? are you guys/girls doing that?

removing the foil tape from my cloner lid this round, i noticed brown algea under the tape.

i always clean and etch the lid before applying the tape on any cloner i make... obviously the environment is harsh.

if possible, i need a solution ... & fast.

spray glue & panda plastic?

Thc farmer   labtory 001
Kcar

Kcar

One thing to remember about foil tape is that the glue used has
the same component that causes all the 'off-gassing' problems...

G

gudkarma

news.

is that right?

no offense grow homie but proof? , article? , thread?

i need to see/hear/read about this... i know about the ngw (or whatever) tubing.

still, i've had no issue there... and my cloners are down... and when they dont have cuts in them... i get TwEakED.

S

smokestack23

Hwy,
well firstofall...why would you paint the inside of your buckets? You can paint the outside of them and the paint chips wont end up in the water.

There are several types of the ali tape. I bought a roll at the growshop and it was as thin as mylar almost. I bought a second roll at the hardware store (same price..$7) and it is WAY thicker.
Duct tape (at least the silver) doesnt block that much light. And, duct tape gets all dry and crispy after a while..especially if exposed to heat.

Now...I have aluminum tape on mine. I noticed some discoloration starting on my roots and figured it was from light. (it was just because I had to use tap water for a few days..yes it WAS my tapwater that caused it..don't know why). I ran to Walmart and grabbed some velcro tape and made "jackets" for each bucket. They're removable and re-usable, washable...

I'm adding another 4-pod rdwc system to my room in a few weeks. This time I'm gonna use the foil tape and rather than the panda plastic, I'm gonna make their "jackets" out of that silver padding stuff. Not sure what it's called but I think it's the stuff they make water heater blankets out of??. CHEAP, lightproof, and insulates from the heat.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Gudkarma,
how exactly are you using the tape? Are you using it to cover the whole outside, as to keep light out? If so, maybe just make a shroud out of reflectix. I have one for my veg rez, that if you lift the rez up, the reflectix stays behind in shape like some sort of beer can cozy. Then make a top that overlaps the bottom out of the reflectix. Then you have a 2 piece (top and bottom) that you can pull off between runs and wipe down with whatever you like to use to sterilize and clean up. Whaddya think?

-TF:evilgrin0013:

104462d1285046320t-10-x-10-mpb-room-build-img_1645.jpg.att

G

gudkarma

hahahaha... no i didn't paint the inside of anything.

in fact, when i purchase buckets (back when i did dwc) i bought black ones.

as far as my cloner, i snatched a "throw away" bubbler from one of my grow buddies... cause gudkarma hates wastefulness.

he painted both sides of the lid (only) with that krylon plastic paint... which was a very bad idea.

i'm starting to think that seeking out the proper containers might be better than buying foil tape on the regular... which adds up to wasteful over time.

i undestand your point about duct tape.

shit... for right now... it looks like another round of foil tape.

i'm wondering what's the diffinitive word/answer for light proof containers for bubble cloning?

G

gudkarma

trich... dude... i worship at the alter of your cleansliness & the awesome tight shit you do!

+rep

hhaahahahahhahahaha... i must have worshiped before cause i cant rep you till i rep some others!

as far as the foil tape, yes, it's used on the lid to keep light out.

that stuff in your pics is the bubble roll insulation from lowes? i cant see your post as i am editing mine... you called it reflectex?

name proper so i can hit the home store & see for myself.

thanx

S

smokestack23

Reflectix..not sure that's the name but that's what I was talking about too. Will keep light (and heat) out. Cleanable, re-usable..

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

trich... dude... i worship at the alter of your cleansliness & the awesome tight shit you do!

+rep

hhaahahahahhahahaha... i must have worshiped before cause i cant rep you till i rep some others!

as far as the foil tape, yes, it's used on the lid to keep light out.

that stuff in your pics is the bubble roll insulation from lowes? i cant see your post as i am editing mine... you called it reflectex?

name proper so i can hit the home store & see for myself.

thanx

Thanks man. I will gladly take the karma point, in lieu of the rep.

Yep, the brand name is Reflectix. It sells at Lowe's and Homey D's. Both have it in 4' x 25' rolls in the insulation section. Same place where they sell that sweet foil backed hard foam sheets. You could make all sorts of grow enclosures just out of that stuff. Neat chit man:)

-TF

Top Bottom