Foliar Feeding Causing Pm And Rot?

• Thread starter Greatlakes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I know this will be controversial. And mind you this is JUST a theory.
I couldn't figure out why other then twice and just a little bit that I have not had a problem with bud rot and I HAVE NEVER had pm.
I live where it is cold and wet....we especially get pounded with rain when the buds are the thickest.
I looked up pm and bud rot and there were 3 key elements to help it grow
1.cold (got that)
2.wet (got that)
3.ACIDIC ENVIROMENT (this is what got me thinking)

Most people that foliar feed realize that the nutes are better absorbed when the liquid is slightly more acidic. On top of that most teas have molasses or other sugars in it to feed bacteria.
So adding an acidic food source to feed leaves is also giving spores the perfect environment to grow along with their own food source.

I have decided this yr to only foliar spray with silica because I believe that not only is it beneficial to the plant but it is a high alkaline ph. Helping it be more of a preventative.

Like I said this is just a theory....let me know what you think...

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I know this will be controversial. And mind you this is JUST a theory.
I couldn't figure out why other then twice and just a little bit that I have not had a problem with bud rot and I HAVE NEVER had pm.
I live where it is cold and wet....we especially get pounded with rain when the buds are the thickest.
I looked up pm and bud rot and there were 3 key elements to help it grow
1.cold (got that)
2.wet (got that)
3.ACIDIC ENVIROMENT (this is what got me thinking)

Most people that foliar feed realize that the nutes are better absorbed when the liquid is slightly more acidic. On top of that most teas have molasses or other sugars in it to feed bacteria.
So adding an acidic food source to feed leaves is also giving spores the perfect environment to grow along with their own food source.

I have decided this yr to only foliar spray with silica because I believe that not only is it beneficial to the plant but it is a high alkaline ph. Helping it be more of a preventative.

Like I said this is just a theory....let me know what you think...
on face value this sounds like a decent hypothesis. Will watch this one to see where it goes. Sounds reasonable to me. in closing you mentioned when your buds are at the peak of growth you get pounded with rains, are you still foliar feeding this deep into flower??? And if so why?

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

on face value this sounds like a decent hypothesis. Will watch this one to see where it goes. Sounds reasonable to me. in closing you mentioned when your buds are at the peak of growth you get pounded with rains, are you still foliar feeding this deep into flower??? And if so why?
I won't be once they thicken up...I think anything below week 6 is okay

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

I foliar up until week 5 without any ill effect. I do know many people who don't at all. I feel my plants have a little better production when I do. This is only my opinion of course. Honestly if your environment is dialed in then your all good.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I foliar up until week 5 without any ill effect. I do know many people who don't at all. I feel my plants have a little better production when I do. This is only my opinion of course. Honestly if your environment is dialed in then your all good.
That is awesome to hear! And you never get pm or rot? Do you use any fungicides?

Latest posts

Top Bottom