Foliar feeding

• Thread starter minster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

minster

HI All

Happy new year!!...

Question re foliar feeding......when/time of light cycle do you foliar feed?

I ask because I have foliar fed my plants just before the light cycle starts (2x600 MH) but still have damaged the leafs at times. I am wondering if I could foliar feed during lights off to let them dry abit before the 600s hit them.....I do use a wetting agent.

any thoughts out there?

currently trying to grow BB blue cheese and Pinapple chunk in coco and doing a piss poor job at it :(

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Some guys on here would say that lights burning wet plants is a myth. not true in my experience. I would say that it is bad for the plant to dry to fast. Just like mosr aspects of growing there are a lot of diff methods. I dont really foliar feed that much anymore some nitrozime sometimes. I spray when lights come on and raise them up for a couple hours.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you tried just using water? It won't cause burning under any kinds of lights. There are products that cause phototoxicity, i.e. sensitivity to light, and that's why it's important to read the label and pay attention to what it says. I foliar under sun and lights often, and have never seen a problem from the act of foliaring, or hosing them off, in and of itself. Certain products do cause a problem (I've not used anything that has such an issue, IIRC).

Minster, there are plenty of coco-nuts around here who are happy to help (if you've posted a thread asking for help, I've missed it).

phenotyper

phenotyper

I foliar feed just after lights out for my vegging plants. I run 18/6, and I find this to be an acceptable amount of time to have some water on the leaves. I like to give the main stem a good shake after I see considerable leaf runoff just to ensure that stagnant water isn't pooling anywhere. I usually but tsp Dr Bronner's soap or detergent and shake throughout the feeding. Usually, I just use some liquid karma.

However, in early flower, I like to use Liquid Light on occasion right as the lights go on. I mix full strength and hit anything that doesn't have a flower on it yet. Following the application, I give them a vigorous shake, same as above. I should note, Liquid Light is neat, but too expensive to be used on a regular basis. When I run out, I likely won't purchase it again. Drop it to a 1/4 of the price, then I might consider it.

Oh yeah, I try to never go over 300-400ppm. About half that for small veg plants.

Do you notice beading on the top of your leaves? If so, you are not using enough of a wetting agent. I rarely notice leaf damage after foliar feeding, but unless the problem is extremely widespread, it really isn't something to be concerned about.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

really depends on the product
if its questionable do it a couple hours before the lights come on def dont want burning
alot of things that are ment to speed photosynthis need to be sprayed with the lights on(or a couple of min before they come on)
so i guess it goes either way

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

mixing in a good saturator will help speed the drying

M

minster

Have you tried just using water? It won't cause burning under any kinds of lights. There are products that cause phototoxicity, i.e. sensitivity to light, and that's why it's important to read the label and pay attention to what it says. I foliar under sun and lights often, and have never seen a problem from the act of foliaring, or hosing them off, in and of itself. Certain products do cause a problem (I've not used anything that has such an issue, IIRC).

Minster, there are plenty of coco-nuts around here who are happy to help (if you've posted a thread asking for help, I've missed it).

Thanks Seamaiden, using straight water may help with my humidty problem also.....stays around 35 - 42%. I will take some photos of my latest progress...or lack off, any inputs on what is happening with them would be greatly appreciated....the more I try, the worse it gets :(

I foliar feed just after lights out for my vegging plants. I run 18/6, and I find this to be an acceptable amount of time to have some water on the leaves. I like to give the main stem a good shake after I see considerable leaf runoff just to ensure that stagnant water isn't pooling anywhere. I usually but tsp Dr Bronner's soap or detergent and shake throughout the feeding. Usually, I just use some liquid karma.

However, in early flower, I like to use Liquid Light on occasion right as the lights go on. I mix full strength and hit anything that doesn't have a flower on it yet. Following the application, I give them a vigorous shake, same as above. I should note, Liquid Light is neat, but too expensive to be used on a regular basis. When I run out, I likely won't purchase it again. Drop it to a 1/4 of the price, then I might consider it.

Oh yeah, I try to never go over 300-400ppm. About half that for small veg plants.

Do you notice beading on the top of your leaves? If so, you are not using enough of a wetting agent. I rarely notice leaf damage after foliar feeding, but unless the problem is extremely widespread, it really isn't something to be concerned about.

thanks Pheno, was definately getting beading as I wasnt using a wetting agent before. Will read up on liquid light and see if it around in the UK....

phenotyper

phenotyper

Sorry if that post was confusing, Liquid Light is not a wetting agent --- I was merely explaining the one setting that I always spray with the lights on.

If you can find it, Saturator/Penetrator are made by Dutch Masters and it is a really, really good wetting agent. If you cannot find it, adding a tsp per liter of mild, non-concentrated, plain dish soap to your sprayer will do equivalently the same thing. Also try to get a sprayer which can atomize the spray for better absorption. good luck!

Top Bottom