Foliar Pack, Now Pistils Damaged Looking

• Thread starter Ronnie88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Ronnie88

Did a foliar last night. 3 tbsp of foliar mixed in 12 litres of distilled water and a tablespoon of calmag.

Today all the pistils are dead looking. Normally erect and white, are now bent looking and slightly orange. In almost certain it was the foliar spray because its every visible bud pistils but the ones that were shaded by some leaves are still white an perky.

I've done foliars with calmag before and with a brewed tea using bennies and never had this happen. This is the first time I used the foliar pack by premix ing it and pouring off the top.

Hope someone can shed some light. Did a flush tonight just in case. Hoping to see some progress tomorrow

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

a tablespoon or a teaspoon? a tablespoon is too much

did you spray with the lights on?

R

Ronnie88

I always spray with lights on and have yet to have a problem. The pack said a tsp per litre so 3 tbsps is less than the directions. I've sprayed the tea with lights on and no problems. Well see what they look like today.

Thanks

Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

good thing you don;t smoke the pistils... so long as the buds and leaves look good, who cares about some fried pistils?

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

How far along in flower r u? I stop foliar in week 3-4 depending on how big the nugs have formed.. If it's a tiny nug I'll still foliar but if it's a good size nug i won't spray anymore.. If u spray anything late after week 4 u will always kill a few hairs.. A few dead hairs don't matter I'd say don't spray anymore tho.. I also never spray with lights on unless it's only a lil T5.. I always spray with lights out & wait till my plants fully dry b4 I turn back on the lights.. Since ur growing buds not seeds I wouldn't worry 2 much the plant will grow more hairs soon

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah anytime i see a thread pistils turning brown or drying early, first question i ask is are you foliar feeding. even if you have done it before without issues not all strains react the same. also differnt temps and times can affect it.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
wait so when you make tea with the foliar pack the pistils don't burn but when you just use the foliar pack you burn them?

R

Ronnie88

I'm mid week 3. I'm more concerned about the damaged hairs being a sign of issues with the plant, ie bugs, stress or something. Maybe a bad pathogen?

The fan leaves looks great. The new leaves at the top of the colas look a little scrunched up, like they're shrinking. It's all the hairs on the bud not just some.

It seems that way. Granted the buds were only in week 2 when I spraye the tea. So not really a straight comparison.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I'm mid week 3. I'm more concerned about the damaged hairs being a sign of issues with the plant, ie bugs, stress or something. Maybe a bad pathogen?

The fan leaves looks great. The new leaves at the top of the colas look a little scrunched up, like they're shrinking. It's all the hairs on the bud not just some.

It seems that way. Granted the buds were only in week 2 when I spraye the tea. So not really a straight comparison.
Ur good the wet hairs r the reason y they died on u.. No worries the plant should b healthy if they were healthy in the 1st place.. Those hairs r new & the bud will over grow that spot & grow new hairs & it will look normal in the end..I'd stop foliar now tho.. Maybe u can get away with 1 more time b'cuz the hairs r already dead so maybe a light mist..

R

Ronnie88

Update. Pistils still brown. May take a few days to resume. Also I sprayed both day and night rooms at same time and they both look the same, so having the lights on while foliaring is irrelevant.

Think ill stick to root drenches in flower from now on.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

i foliar up till week 6 even 7 sometimes. Never had pistils die back due to any foliar feeding. Just dont spray your buds, spray underneath your leaves and a light mist up top should be good. However i have had pistoles die back when i had a root aphid infestation - got lazy on my preventative measures. So i would look into other possibilities of stress too, check ur medium and what not.

R

Ronnie88

This is the first time I've seen it too. I initially thought bugs as well but it's every exposed bud site and none of the shaded ones. Pretty rare to have a bug infestation hit every bud overnight simultaneously... It was the foliar. Maybe the combo of camg and foliar pack was too strong, gave em a good dowse too.

R

Ronnie88

Well here's an update. I narrowed the pistil burning down to bronners peppermint soap that I use as a sufficant. The stuff works nicely and doesn't harm the leaves but it appears it's a bit too strong for the pistils.

Been applying the foliar tea with no problems. I noticed I have thirps and mites. Nothing crazy, only noticing them at the base of the plant in older leaves. Upper leaves look great. I'm wondering if I have to saturate every inch of the plant for the tea to have an effect on the bugs. Or are the bennies systemic? I blasted everything with a mite spray then did a root drench with this other pesticide to start fresh. Now I've been applying for the last two days foliars of my tea - ewc, root and foliar pack. Will be giving a root drench of the tea after I flush the coco.

Last edited:
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Well here's an update. I narrowed the pistil burning down to bronners peppermint soap that I use as a sufficant. The stuff works nicely and doesn't harm the leaves but it appears it's a bit too strong for the pistils.

Been applying the foliar tea with no problems. I noticed I have thirps and mites. Nothing crazy, only noticing them at the base of the plant in older leaves. Upper leaves look great. I'm wondering if I have to saturate every inch of the plant for the tea to have an effect on the bubs. Or are the bennies systemic?

You need to saturate everything, including the soil.

Dr. Bronners P soap is really strong bro. One time I used the liquid straight in the shower and my balls were burning so bad from the peppermint it wasn't even funny.

R

Ronnie88

You need to saturate everything, including the soil.

Dr. Bronners P soap is really strong bro. One time I used the liquid straight in the shower and my balls were burning so bad from the peppermint it wasn't even funny.
Ahahah. Ya same thing happened to me. I started using it in veg as a natural pesticide and it slipped my mind that it may have been too strong for the precious buds. Glad that's solved.

Ok. How many root drenches do I need to do? Every 4 days like the foliars?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Yeah you can drench with the foliar if you have thrips/RA/grubs/harmful nematodes. Heavy infestations apply every 4 days. Preventative every 7-10 days.

R

Ronnie88

Ok. One more question. If I have a tea brewing and use it all, can I just add more water, sugars and bennies etc to the mix to keep it going, or best to wipe clean and restart?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Ok. One more question. If I have a tea brewing and use it all, can I just add more water, sugars and bennies etc to the mix to keep it going, or best to wipe clean and restart?

push the reset button.

Top Bottom