Found a new soil, what do you think?

• Thread starter mguanaga1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mguanaga1

These soils look really interesting, what are your thoughts? I have heard FF is going down hill and I cannot get Roots where I live. Below is a breakdown of what they advertise.

Pennington soil:
  • Revitalizes soil with essential plant nutrients
  • Includes Canadian Sphagnum peat moss and composted bark with earthworm castings and added biostimulants
  • Feeds plants for up to 6 months
Whitney soil:
  • A mid-weight soil specially formulated for raised beds
  • Rich mix of organic and natural ingredients including kelp meal, alfalfa meal, bone meal, and earthworm castings.
Thanks!!

Found a new soil what do you think
Whitney farms raised bed 2017
Last edited:
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
It gives no useful info on the package. Can you find a photo of the back? I would say build a soil though

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter

I switched to this 2 years ago away from fox farm, it’s the fluffiest dirt I’ve ever used straight out of the bag, the only detractor is that it is nitrogen heavy, so I just dialed back my veg nutes a little and I have never turned back. Zero amendments added. Everything about it better than ff. I used fox farm for 15 years too.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Looks like the Pennington has polymer coated, slow-release ferts. Had a hard time reading the back of the Whitney, but I don’t think it has them. Little more of a blank slate.

M

mguanaga1

I switched to this 2 years ago away from fox farm, it’s the fluffiest dirt I’ve ever used straight out of the bag, the only detractor is that it is nitrogen heavy, so I just dialed back my veg nutes a little and I have never turned back. Zero amendments added. Everything about it better than ff. I used fox farm for 15 years too.
Would it be comparable to happy frog or ocean? Thanks

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Would it be comparable to happy frog or ocean? Thanks
In my opinion it’s better. Drains proper, doesn’t hold liquid for too long, it’s super fluffy stuff. It just has a bit of extra nitrogen in it, so for the last 2 years since switching, I just dialed back my first feedings of veg nutrients for week 3 and 4 a 1/4. it throws some of the most beautiful seedlings. I also have to use less nutrients all together in the long run. I’m finishing my grows at 1/2 strength and getting really good numbers.
Now, I’ve been growing 22 years, so I can really read my plants, for a lot of folks fox farm works, and honestly I will use ocean forest if my feed store is out of fortilome, but in my side by side comparisons in the past. Fortilome is a more stable soil in my opinion.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
All 2 week olds

IMG 6752
M

mguanaga1

In my opinion it’s better. Drains proper, doesn’t hold liquid for too long, it’s super fluffy stuff. It just has a bit of extra nitrogen in it, so for the last 2 years since switching, I just dialed back my first feedings of veg nutrients for week 3 and 4 a 1/4. it throws some of the most beautiful seedlings. I also have to use less nutrients all together in the long run. I’m finishing my grows at 1/2 strength and getting really good numbers.
Now, I’ve been growing 22 years, so I can really read my plants, for a lot of folks fox farm works, and honestly I will use ocean forest if my feed store is out of fortilome, but in my side by side comparisons in the past. Fortilome is a more stable soil in my opinion.
Ok thanks for explaining. Sounds great!

Top Bottom