Found egg clusters on leaves this morning

• Thread starter Greenbob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Greenbob

Greenbob

Looked out the window this morning and see a leaf that looked like it had bird crap on it (it happens). I went out later to see the girls and realized its not crap but eggs. this is my 5th year growing outdoors and havent experienced this yet. Can anyone ID what they are. Normal pest I deal with on daily basis are leafhoppers, grasshoppers, snail and slugs. Could these eggs belong to them or is there an unseen pest I gotta worry about? Thanks for looking.
Found egg clusters on leaves this morning

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Don’t know. But you could maybe put them in a jar like when you were a kid and see if they hatch and what they are. I’ll bet you are going over those plants with a fine tooth comb from here on out! Lol. My wild guess would be moth.

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

Looked out the window this morning and see a leaf that looked like it had bird crap on it (it happens). I went out later to see the girls and realized its not crap but eggs. this is my 5th year growing outdoors and havent experienced this yet. Can anyone ID what they are. Normal pest I deal with on daily basis are leafhoppers, grasshoppers, snail and slugs. Could these eggs belong to them or is there an unseen pest I gotta worry about? Thanks for looking.
View attachment 2022760
looks like stink bugs . mrs stink bug has had a big weekend 😘
id let em hatch and hope its not carnivorous zombie moths
😳😳

Last edited:
Greenbob

Greenbob

Thanks for the replies! If I find more theres gonna be an experiment in a jar :) They didnt survive the propane torch this mornin but never thought of hatching them. Tomorrow afternoon I'm giving the girls a spraying of nuke-em so if i find any in the morn I'll save them.

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

i just bought a 4x4 and made the mistake of getting one with only one door. which for me is bad if I wanna scrog the whole thing out its difficult to reach across.
apart from that its a good size tent. can crush over a pound in it without even trying. probably around 2 if you try

Greenbob

Greenbob

Update...I never did spray after removing eggs a week ago. Yesterday I noticed a little PM. When I got home tonight I checked and PM is a little worse and I found another batch of eggs.
20230822 171508

So this time I kept the eggs and they live in a mason jar now....

20230822 171721

I've always had good luck with Nuke-em so these dirty girls just got a decent shower. Never used Nuke-em for PM but it supposedly kills it.
As for the eggs I hope they hatch to get a positive ID. I dont know how long it takes to hatch but if they do I will post pics as I'm sure an ID still gonna be needed. Hope to get this mystery solved so we all can learn what it is so if it happens to anyone else they know what to expect. Thanks for looking :)

edogmb

edogmb

I just saw this on my plant this morning too!!! I also assumed it was bird shit...but didn't get a chance to look at it too closely at the time. The leaf was white like your first encounter with them. Have to make sure to go out first thing in the AM and handle that. Thanks for the post! 👍 I was going to remove the leaf anyway, but won't procrastinate now.

Greenbob

Greenbob

Update.... Been 5 days since putting eggs in jar. Hasnt hatched yet but they all turned a real dark color. Dont know if they are dead or getting ready to hatch. Time will tell.
As for my plants I had to cut down my cherry pie. Found some brown slimy buds after the PM incident and saved what I could. My other 3 are
Grape cake/apple fritter
Blue sunset sherbert
Pink kush
They just started to flower week and half ago but I'll get some pics to share soon.

Heres a pic of eggs today....
20230827 145617

Greenbob

Greenbob

They hatched. Day 6. They are about 1mm long and theres a lot of them. They move like tiny inchworms. Glad I got them off my plant. Im guessing they are some kind of moth. I got a couple pics through a 10X loupe and a couple short vids of them. Now to ID them and this journey will be complete.

vids....

Pics through 10X loupe....

20230828 171638
20230828 171635

Any guesses on ID? Thanks for lookin :)

edogmb

edogmb

Mine hatched sometime over the last 24hrs as well. I bagged them with the leaf. They seem to have zero interest in the leaf itself.

Top Bottom