Fox Farms Ocean Forest - is it still a good for a starter?

• Thread starter Jake Farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jake Farmer

My buddy wants to get accointed with growing. I told him I earned with cheap potting soil, but was impressed with Fox Farms Acean Forest.

What's the scoop?

Back then - I used about 60-40 Ocean Forest and Pearlite

I thank you and JJ thanks you

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Ocean forest is fine for starting
all that extra perlite might be a lil much unless your planning on doing something that recirculates

I think light warrior is their soil jus for starting

LBH

LBH

FFOF has all the nutes needed to carry you through veg. Still have to get that calmag in there before you flip em but all you'll need is water for awhile.

J

Jake Farmer

Thanks for the replies and help!

I picked up a bag of "Colorado's Finest" potting soil and as soon as I opened it, I wasn't impressed. Looks like it has enough wood to burn! :-(
-- I gotta have a reliable choice - even if it's a little pricey.

I remember when I started growing - Ocean Forest was about $21 on sale and I thought somebody would have to be high to pay that much. After a while I decided to try some and suddenly thought the price wasn't quite as bad as a $8 bag that was a struggle to grow in.

I started adding 30-40% pearlite and looked like a pro. - if it's lite - water it. Or feed it. Make stinky teas and really look important, but it starts with good soil and roots.

Lately I've heard quality is dropped and some farmers claim to get Root Aphids or worse mixed in. I've already got R/A's in rockwool -

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
I used ocean forest for almost 10 years. Its pretty damn good soil. Might be a little hot for seedlings or some clones. Test the run off and see where each bag starts. I have got some bags that were pretty hot. At like 1200 ppm. Just flush it down to around 700 or so depending on strain and you will be golden. Ojce they plants are established in cups and need to get transplanted into larger pots....1 gallons or 5 gallons ext ext, you wont need to do the flush. Not all bag need to be flush, I just did it as a precaution. Hope that helps a little ~smf~

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I used it for years but i dont anymore as ive seen a few folks have some bug issues,SMF is spot on though when he says its a little hot for seedlings/clones,shit will flat fry them sometimes!

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

i always have different soils running. big fan of custom super soils. When I use FFOF, i loosen it up with Happy Frog. i rarely use straight FFOF, IMO i use it for mothers or other testers that i dont want to use a nutrient regime. Low maintenance with great results.
FFOF does run hot for seedlings or clones, break it down for starts with Happy Frog or Light Warrior. If ur feeling real froggy, use all three!

Z

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I used ocean forest for almost 10 years. Its pretty damn good soil. Might be a little hot for seedlings or some clones. Test the run off and see where each bag starts. I have got some bags that were pretty hot. At like 1200 ppm. Just flush it down to around 700 or so depending on strain and you will be golden. Ojce they plants are established in cups and need to get transplanted into larger pots....1 gallons or 5 gallons ext ext, you wont need to do the flush. Not all bag need to be flush, I just did it as a precaution. Hope that helps a little ~smf~
I used it for years but i dont anymore as ive seen a few folks have some bug issues,SMF is spot on though when he says its a little hot for seedlings/clones,shit will flat fry them sometimes!
what do you guys use now? o_O

I have only been doing this two years now and Im still useing happy frog in my pots ;)
works really good....Seagreen makes it even better

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
what do you guys use now? o_O

I have only been doing this two years now and Im still useing happy frog in my pots ;)
works really good....Seagreen makes it even better
I just started to use root organic original formula in September I believe. I had two main reasons I switched over, well maybe three.
-roots organic is more consistent everytime I go pick up bags from the store
-roots organic contains much more perlite so I don't need to add more like I did with ffof
-alien put me on to it when he got me to switch to full organic feed and I kicked my 25% or so worth of synthetics I was using

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
thanks SkunkMaster :)
That looks like it has good stuff in it the Mycrrros and stuff too,
So with that, you dont need to feed for a few weeks?
( i guess i could find Aliens feeding chart):rolleyes:

Thanks again..I think I might try a bag of that.:)

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I use roots organic too ken but i mix it like 70/30 with my own composted material,id like to make all my own soil but im just not that good(yet)lol.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
thanks SkunkMaster :)
That looks like it has good stuff in it the Mycrrros and stuff too,
So with that, you dont need to feed for a few weeks?
( i guess i could find Aliens feeding chart):rolleyes:

Thanks again..I think I might try a bag of that.:)
Def worth a try. If you don't want to go all in on a whole run pick up a bag a run one plant with your current soil and one plant with the roots organic. Obviously use the same strain and same size bucket and see which you prefer. What I like you may not like and vice versa. I won't stop growing in soil. Soil buds just taste and burn the best hands down. So I feel for ya trying to perfect and get the most from a solid soil run. Good luck of the switch if you do try it. If you don't post our results in the forums shoot me a PM if you get time and let me know which you liked. I always love to compare notes with other growers working on new things :) cheers ~Smf~

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Yeah Skunk, I will do that.
thanks again you guys...so even though the root organis is Coco..it still soil? o_O
I could mix it in with my existing soil in my beds?
the worms would like it?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
just read this...

Comes in a heavy-duty, ready-to-grow, 1.5 cu ft/10 gal bag; simply poke holes in the bottom, cut off the top, and plant.

Sounds handy :)

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

coco is one of many amendments in roots soil but roots organics has been moving in on Fox Farm for awhile the Cali people can probably vouch for that if not the Distributors would....Roots organics has higher standards then OMRI but im not sure that saying so much.....i been ammending coco and mostly growing with Happy Frog if any Fox Farm at all and do use Roots Organics also every now and then i got to make sure my amended reused coco is still keeping up with all these pricey soils.....i think if you grow using a method that you can reuse the soil all that bagged stuff gets better after you run through it ounce...peace and chicken grease

J

Jake Farmer

Thanks for the input.

I found Ocean Forest on sale 2 for $30, and I had a little leftover pearlite, so we are off and running.

I'm moving out of Rockwool cubes and back into soil to try to eradicate some root aphids that seem deturmined to stay.

I've also added Cap's Packs and Met-52 to both sides. (Rockwool and soil)
Caps seems to think his goods may get the bastards out of the rockwool when nothing else has.

Sucess usually is the last stone turned........ I've tried everything else. If they survive the soil attempt - the only other option is nuclear.

I'll be looking for the Roots Organics next time I'm at the hydro shops.

From High in the Rockys -

Your friend,
Jake

Latest posts

Top Bottom