fox vs roots

• Thread starter outdoor farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

outdoor farmer

I have been using ff ocean forest for a long time now ,but every time i buy ff these guys always raise the price up on me it went from $15to 22 dollors, then he said if thats too much for you you can go with organic roots it comes in a army lookin bag for $15 bucks. Have any of the members use product? is organic roots worth it. thanks

T

Tdawg

They are 12 bucks here in socal, some promotion deals going around.

Alot of people use it, some say it might burns your plant while some loves it.

I used FFOF, but i will never use it by itself again. I'll mix it in a 2:1 or 1:1 ratio with light warrior which is also by fox farm.

O

outdoor farmer

i live in Montana the only fox form up here is fox form ocean blind and it is 22 bucks that's to much for how meeny plants i grow

Blaze

Blaze

Go with the Roots - it is a far superior product to what Fox Farm makes and cheaper as well. In my opinion Fox Farm is a pretty shitty company, their products are very inconsistent and poorly made. Plus none of their soil or liquid nutrients are actually organic if you read the fine print on the label. The Roots can be a bit hot though, so for little clones or seedlings you may want to cut it with something else. My standard seedling/clone mix for the last year or so has been 1 part Roots Organic, 1 part coco, and 1 part Black Gold with some Mykos added. Works like a charm.

O

outdoor farmer

thanks that helps a lot i thought that to but was not sheer

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
isnt the roots in the camo bag the 707?

707 is very mild stuff - not hot at all

it says - oragnic soil for those who want to control their own destiny - or something like that

T

Tdawg

motherlode,

Yeah its the camo bag. I bought 5 new bag of FFOF, they were very unstable. I would steer away from it.

purpleberry

purpleberry

I cant belive everyone still uses that crap, hydro shop tells me everyone wants FFOF. LOL Roots is so much better soil to work with and I find it not hot at all. Ive seen plants burned up being planted in FFOF Also seen pieces of 2x4

Blaze

Blaze

I don't get why Fox Farm has such a big following either. I used their products the first few years I was farming on a few people's reccomendations. When I switched brands there was a noticeable difference in yield, growth rate, and quality. Makes me thing that people that rave about FF have simply never tried anything else.

vaporedout

vaporedout

ive used both, and my yield and quality was way better with FF, roots was a cool idea but i just wasnt as happy with it. seemed like the roots i had to use more nutes because it was so mild.... might as well go with happy frog, ;)

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

I don't get why Fox Farm has such a big following either. I used their products the first few years I was farming on a few people's reccomendations. When I switched brands there was a noticeable difference in yield, growth rate, and quality. Makes me thing that people that rave about FF have simply never tried anything else.

I think it's hype, too, and it's a rare strain that doesn't catch at least a little leaf burn if it's used without mixing with something less hot.

There's nothing magical about a soil mix. The cheapest way to go is to mix your own. And no one soil mix is undeniably "the best." There are few, if any ingredients that don't have a decent substitute.

B

BigCountry

Ocean Forest : Light Warrior is historically an epic blend. I heard about it, tried it, and have my faith.

I tried Roots Organic, got tons of fungus gnats, and thrips (which I can't really blame on the soil, but I don't know where else they could have come from)

I wish that Foxfarm would come out with an outdoor blend, or a coco-based blend.

Melvan

Melvan

Better yet, get a $28 bale of Pro-Mix BX from a garden center or Home Depot type place. A bale lasts me 3-4 grows of 6 plants and all the cuttings I want to root, which is about 30 every month.

C

CalcioErba2004

1 bag light warrior
1 bag ocean forest
1 bag happy frog
1 bag roots organic wormcastings
1 4cft bag of large coarse perlite

Done Roots, Pro mix and Royal Gold. FF is the most ph stable mix. Wish they had a straight wormcastings bag...

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Back in my dirty dog days when playing in the dirt I always used Fox Farm soil. The recipe I used was the Moonshine Mix. Pretty damn easy, consistent for me at least. It was 1 bag EACH Fox farm Happy Frog potting soil, Light Warrior, Ocean forest. 1 cup each of Peice of Mind Fruit and Flower and 1 cup of Piece of mind Starter mix. and a Half bag of Big and Chunky perlite.
This mix worked flawless for me and others I sat up. This was over a year and a half ago. Not so much anymore. A buddy has been using it and had problems. I thought he mixed it wrong so he asked me to mix him some. Same PH problems. fox farm is aware of the PH issues. But are not doing a damn thing about it it seems like.

I did not like Roots straight out of the bag. I felt it was too soggy when watered. I have not given Roots a fair comarison to be honest.

The only reason I switched to Coco was for ease of getting rid of the Coco compaired to taking soil to the dump. Less waste and cheaper to run coco for me.

Not sure if this helped at all. But I Thought I would throw a few pennies in.

R

RockPhosphate

I'm back on the Fox train. I was using Roots for a year straight and realized that all the issues that I was having was because the PH was bottoming out at nearly 5.0 after one month. As a bonus, a downright Gnat infestation by the end of flower.

I bought a new bag from the dro shop and immediately enclosed it in a contractors bag and then into a sealed rubbermaid tote while in the parking lot. 5 days later i opened it up, the amount of gnats escaping made me just close the bag back up.

I finished up what I had in flower, barely. Now I'm onto a Fox blend.

I know that FF soils have had a bad rep for a while now. I would hope that FF after all their issues being reported they would have to change something to improve the quality to stay in business. The issue with FFOF being too hot is definitely still an issue. It must be cut down. Add some dolomite lime and some Azomite and you're good to feed after a couple of weeks.

As of now, I feel that something has changed for the better.

Except for the occasional lone flier now, I am much happier.

Just my experience as of late...

Top Bottom