Foxtail instagram bud. Healthy flower, or stressed bud?

• Thread starter shaganja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shaganja

shaganja

I recently got a job as a trimmer at a local cannabis company. The past 6 or so strains have been very foxtailed or knuckled, I am also seeing much of this type of bud on insta. I dont remember this type of flower from the past. This seems to be relatively new. A few questions.
1. Is it healthy fat cannabis?
2. Or stressed from intense light?
3. Is this attractive flower to you?
4. If this is the way they are growing in the indoor market, will this structure become part of the modern hybrids dna? Will many modern hybrids also share this structure genetically, whether you beat em up with light or not?

shaganja

shaganja

If intense light makes a plant react by growing like a cactus, which is a stress reaction, how can that be beneficial for the plant? If it makes plant shrink up like a raisin, how can this be good? I have yet to see any of these plants praying. Many times leaf direction is pointing kinda downish. Anyway, maybe a rant, but perhaps the beginning of another issue plaguing commercial growers. I cant see this structure as an upgrade. More like a loss for the sake of instgram nonsense.

T

TinFoilHat

I used to think foxtailing was due to heat or light stress, then I lowered my feeds during flower drastically to around 1.2EC. No more foxtails in my room. I think these days people are obsessed with the new cool nutes and dose the hell out of them causing it. Obviously I'm sure severe heat and light could possibly cause it, but I start with lowering the feed if I ever see foxtailing.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I recently got a job as a trimmer at a local cannabis company. The past 6 or so strains have been very foxtailed or knuckled, I am also seeing much of this type of bud on insta. I dont remember this type of flower from the past. This seems to be relatively new. A few questions.
1. Is it healthy fat cannabis?
2. Or stressed from intense light?
3. Is this attractive flower to you?
4. If this is the way they are growing in the indoor market, will this structure become part of the modern hybrids dna? Will many modern hybrids also share this structure genetically, whether you beat em up with light or not?
If you didn't grow before, you might not have seen it until you started trimming, because they can get knocked off easily during processing.

I used to grow a lot of hazes of European origin. Those plants seemed to have a higher tendency toward foxtails, so I believe there is a genetic component to it. Also, longer flowering plants seem to have a higher possibility of foxtail-like growth toward the end.

In the case of a US grow op for dispensaries, it's probably not from late harvests. Maybe these strains got too close to the light.

Madmax

Madmax

I’ll wage money on it’s the light intensity ,heat or both..I use canna boost half strength and run that for only 3 weeks.I stop the boost then add the pk…I add the pk boost same dose for 1 week and I’ve had fox tailing before adding pk to the base nutes.

Anthem

Anthem

Sounds like too much bloom booster, if PK is to blame.
It is light for the most part. I can and have unintentionally done it to many plants. More strains that I care to admit. PK booster can further extenuate the trait but if you stay on top of the lights you can greatly limit it from occurring but you have to start dropping down the PPFD right when you see the first hint of it occurring. I had a run in day 33 and it was time to start dropping down the PPFD.
Some genetic are more prone to it than others but you can give me any strain you would like and I can make the thing throw out 1” long foxtails all day long.

Anthem

Anthem

I’ll wage money on it’s the light intensity ,heat or both..I use canna boost half strength and run that for only 3 weeks.I stop the boost then add the pk…I add the pk boost same dose for 1 week and I’ve had fox tailing before adding pk to the base nutes.
Max I run a temperature controlled room and I can still get it if I do not stay on top of the lights. Had to drop them again last night. It was day 38 and I am at like 87 percent of Max with the Gavita 1700e’s.

Blastfact

Blastfact

A lot of people grow for foxtails now days. They want all the surface area and weight they can get for the press, old school hash production and extracting. You never heard the word foxtail in the old days in my part of the grow world. We called it crowning, then one morning foxtailing was a term popular with the hip crowd. Main cause is lighting followed by nutrients then genetics.

growsince79

growsince79

It is light for the most part. I can and have unintentionally done it to many plants. More strains that I care to admit. PK booster can further extenuate the trait but if you stay on top of the lights you can greatly limit it from occurring but you have to start dropping down the PPFD right when you see the first hint of it occurring. I had a run in day 33 and it was time to start dropping down the PPFD.
Some genetic are more prone to it than others but you can give me any strain you would like and I can make the thing throw out 1” long foxtails all day long.
I have a clone that done it 3 times with different lights and nutes. I'm trying one more time, This time I'll cut back the light even more and see what happens.

Madmax

Madmax

Max I run a temperature controlled room and I can still get it if I do not stay on top of the lights. Had to drop them again last night. It was day 38 and I am at like 87 percent of Max with the Gavita 1700e’s.
I get it around the same time too.i let it go for the most part just watching it to see if it gets any worse.it’s not real bad foxtailing though.I’ve had it bad once and what a pita that was to trim and even dry and cutting up the buds..

M

MasterWatererJeff

Sounds like too much bloom booster, if PK is to blame.
Then why does every single one of these fox tailed mega grows have blue leaves, purple petioles, burnt margins and no sweet or sour flavor? (pk deficiency)

M

MasterWatererJeff

Zero logic behind this. Turning up lights increases pk demand. Reducing light fixes pk deficiency. In the real world I mean, not on expert specialty grow forums.

Top Bottom