• Thread starter hort-hog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hort-hog

hort-hog

Foxtailing
Foxtailing 2
Foxtailing 3
So BCfarmer and I have been battling this problem for a few crops now.
Funny thing is, I feel that it's not from the usual heat stress due to our use of 600's, light mover, and lack of burnt foliage.

We have good a/c and I also feel that the room is not getting too hot.

We still did well with yield slightly over 2lb/kw, but the buds did not look good and we were aiming for 2.5/kw.

Hopefully someone has had a similar problem that they've solved and can offer up some experience based advice.

Here's some pics and will add more info when I get to a desktop.

Foxtailing 4
OGkushistein

OGkushistein

when i first stated growing i used to leave the lights as close as the fans would allow and i ran into foxtailing so maybe try raising up your lights if there to low or get rid of that strain altogether

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not quite like that, but in my limited experience causing foxtailing that's NOT due to genetics, it's EITHER heat or excessive nitrogen. I've also done it by giving alfalfa tea too late in flower. May have been too strong, I don't know, but I'll never do THAT again!

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

I never had the foxtail until I introduced CO2 into the garden. I am not sure exactly how, or why it occurs. It does not happen all the time, and also not to every plant. But it happens to what seems like random plants in the last 3 weeks of flower. I have noticed this in the BC rockstar strain as well as Elephant, and Tahoe OG. I do not think it is strain dependant, more the conditions, or possibly uneven CO2 throughout the room. These are of course estimations based on observation and by no means definitive. Good luck solving the problem Hort, il be watching to see if anyone knows a solution.

hort-hog

hort-hog

Ok. Those things are making sense. We have been re-using our soil and amending it with worm castings each time. Add to that using tea into flowering coupled with, what I suspect, is some higher than ideal CO2 levels (especially in the dark cycle) and I think you have the culprit. Of course this is merely guesses.
We plan to use new soil, raise lights, use less CO2, monitor nighttime CO2 levels more closely, and avoid high nitrogen teas in flowering.
As much as we'd like to figure out exactly who the culprit is, we really can't afford to correct these one at a time to find out which it is...
And although I agree that certain genetics may be more prone to this, I'm pretty sure this is an environment issue..
Feedback?

Tnelz

Tnelz

Sounds like ur on it brother. Eliminate one or two things at a time so u can get a definitive answer. Foxtails are for the birds but ur plants and room look awesome brother. Jealous!

sixstring

sixstring

yup,nitrogen,high temps,lights too close even high humidity late in flower all cause that damn foxtailing.no co2 at night,you need to exhaust a few times if its building up on its owe because of plant counts.sounds like your a few tweaks away from really awesome numbers,gl with the fix.peace

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

Now that you mention it, the last time I had the issue it was on a flip-flip setup and the rooms were getting too much CO2 at night. It was definitely the worst i'd seen at that location.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Now that you mention it, the last time I had the issue it was on a flip-flip setup and the rooms were getting too much CO2 at night. It was definitely the worst i'd seen at that location.

I've had the fox tailing discussion before with fellow growers and night time co2 was brought up. I knew it wasn't the nute regimen he was on so environmental factors where next as possible culprits. Long story, but now in my room as well as his, we exhaust at night for 5 mins every hour the last two weeks using dampers and a timer to hedge against any night time co2 issues. Helps with humidity too. Now the only fox tailing I get are some buds next to a vertical bare bulb.

Hopefully u get it figured out. Btw nice room!

Cort

Cort

Map out where the plants are in the room, and mark which fox tailed, to compare with next runs results to eliminate one more variable.

Dunge

Dunge

If your giving your plants Co2 at night then that's most likely the culprit . IMO you don't need CO2 at night since the plants are already emitting co2 in there dark period .
And, plants require O2 at night.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Some strains will foxtail cuz of genetics no?? I've had this debate once before, once you rule out nutes, environment, ONLY thing left is genetics right?
Respect

hort-hog

hort-hog

We vent plenty in dark cycle. Most of it actually.
But for anybody reusing their soil, they know it produces a lot of co2.
Add that to already having 1200 ppm during lights on, and it can shoot up very high once lights go out, even with venting. May have to mitigate.

But very much enjoying the input and discussion.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Map out where the plants are in the room, and mark which fox tailed, to compare with next runs results to eliminate one more variable.
Interesting suggestion Cort. Unfortunately the entire room was affected and not certain areas.
We vent plenty in dark cycle. Most of it actually.
But for anybody reusing their soil, they know it produces a lot of co2.
Add that to already having 1200 ppm during lights on, and it can shoot up very high once lights go out, even with venting. May have to mitigate.

But very much enjoying the input and discussion.

Thanks so much for posting this Hort. Great feedback as usual on the farm.
BCF.

Latest posts

Top Bottom