frankenstorm (hurricane Sandy )

• Thread starter bigdaddyg8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

hope everybody in the NE , USA . has checked there generators ? looks like we could be in for major power outages .

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

No generator live in a rental apt hope we done have an outage I'm staring week 9 that would suck really suck

joeca1i

joeca1i

Think BP's oil volcano ,couple years ago, might still have a part in it being so BIG.

K

Kezo401

How long will my plants live with no power in the uc? Just started week 3 flower and have some nice bushes goin.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

How long will my plants live with no power in the uc? Just started week 3 flower and have some nice bushes goin.

Even though i cant speak on experience but I have notice that at the end of my harvest in 2 incident I shut down power for 2 days with no ill effect but once again I think it's due to end stage plant cycle I best guess is 1 day max again can't comment with confident

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Stay safe guys you can always grow more plants if it comes to that but you cannot replace your family or yourselves,prayers going out that you eastcoasters all ride this out safely!

ttystikk

ttystikk

You should buy a battery backup, or at least a car battery and inverter so you can run small appliances from the 120v outlet. Here's why; your UC water will stop circulating and your bubblers will stop aerating. You'll need to run all that for 15 minutes twice a day to keep dissolved O2 levels up in the water, or your roots will suffocate and drown. Everything else should be okay as long as the outage doesn't drag on into 4 days or more. If that happens, you all might be more worried about how to stay warm!

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

i was thinking to do everything i can to keep water moving and the air pumps running for 2 days should be allright .

K

Kezo401

Water still movin and sun still shining over here. Def got lucky

PrefersHam

PrefersHam

Little wind, little water, and the lights never flickered. Life is good in lil'Rhody.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ham

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

we made it through without a hitch . i am also from the biggest little state in the union !

ttystikk

ttystikk

i was thinking to do everything i can to keep water moving and the air pumps running for 2 days should be allright .

You don't need to run all this stuff 24 hours a day to prevent roots from drowning in the dark. A couple times a day for 15 minutes should suffice until the lights come back on.

I realize this is no longer timely advice for this storm, but there will be plenty more to come, and it's always a good idea to be prepared!

In Colorado, we get power outages regularly; in summer from lightning strikes, and in winter from ice on lines and wind slapping the powerlines together- they don't like that, lol. Most of these last a few hours or so, nothing to get excited about- but it did get me thinking; how many of oyu out there have your whole setup properly surge protected? It's not just electronics that fry from a lightning strike; your controllers, pumps and lighting are all vulnerable.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

You don't need to run all this stuff 24 hours a day to prevent roots from drowning in the dark. A couple times a day for 15 minutes should suffice until the lights come back on.

I realize this is no longer timely advice for this storm, but there will be plenty more to come, and it's always a good idea to be prepared!

In Colorado, we get power outages regularly; in summer from lightning strikes, and in winter from ice on lines and wind slapping the powerlines together- they don't like that, lol. Most of these last a few hours or so, nothing to get excited about- but it did get me thinking; how many of oyu out there have your whole setup properly surge protected? It's not just electronics that fry from a lightning strike; your controllers, pumps and lighting are all vulnerable.

I agree I think alot of people dont realize its not just a ballast thatll blow out, its EVERYTHING that uses juice.

ttystikk

ttystikk

It's stuff like this that reminds me of what Einstein said; “I don't try to imagine a personal God; it suffices to stand in awe at the structure of the world, insofar as it allows our inadequate senses to appreciate it.”

Hurricanse, the Nautilus and the Golden Ratio; who knew they are all expressions of... well... something. The question is, what?

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

my threads that are even slightly off topic are deleted with an alarming immediacy, why is this still in the UC section?

Top Bottom