FREE questions? best use of my flower space? and more!!

• Thread starter yosemitysam
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

yosemitysam

Hello fellow farmers,

This is not my first go at it, but its been a few years. I hope some of you will give me your suggestions on the best use of this flower space. SOG from clones is what I'm shooting for.

Here is what I'm working with.

Veg space is 3'wide x 2.5' deep x 2.5' tall. I'm happy with it...

Flower space / 3'wide x 2.5' deep x 5.5' tall, I have painted the walls of this space flat white, and plumbed air inlet 8" and outlet 4".

I have a 4" 170 cfm fan and carbon filter, not yet installed, will hook to a cool-tube reflector. I am venting the space and cool-tube with the same fan.

Building a multiple site DWC bubblier out of a "Best Plastics 27 Gallon Strong Box Tote" 30.5" x 20.4" x 14.5" from H-Depot. Nutrients are GH.

My Questions:
1- I have a 400w hps Magnetic ballast now but was thinking about trying a digital one , should I stick with 400w, would 600w be over kill for this small 7.5 square foot space?

2- Is there much difference in cooling a 400w vs. 600w bulb, can the temp be managed in this small space with the 170cfm fan?

3- plant number, I keep reading 1 per square foot, Whats your thoughts on this?
Should I go with 7, 8, plant sites or more? I'd like your input on this before I drill the lid for the net pots.

4- seed suggestions for this setup? all are appreciated.

G

greenthumbbumb

1-I would stick with the magnetic until you need a new one, i dont think you will notice much of a difference realistically. I need a 600 might be overkill for that small space.

2- Not sure the difference in cooling but i use a 400 in about the same space and cool it with around 265cfm, cooltube and room like you and stays around 80.

3- What strain are you using? Is it suited for sog? If its a single cola plant i would go with 12. Remember you can drill more holes and just leave them plugged with a netpot and collar if you dont need them.

4- As long as your temps in the room and more importantly the temp in the reservoir are in control you should be fine.

M

Malachi

You could get by with the 400, but you would see a noticeably difference with the 600. Rule of thumb is 400 is good for like a 2x2 space, 600=3x3 and 1000=4x4. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to lighting as long as you can maintain temperatures. I would go with a 9 or 12 plant setup and flip them to 12/12 as soon as the plants get established. Stick with an indica dom strain because your space is only 5.5 tall.

Also you may want to get a second tote and set it outside of your grow area and run a feed line and return line to your DWC tote. SO it would basically be 2 totes, one inside the grow area and one outside. You would put the pump in the tote on the outside running it to the one on the inside and a return line from the inside back to the outside. The return hose should be a little higher on the inside (or slightly elevate the tote) to help it drain it back into the control tote. This will help you tremndously when adjusting PH, topping off, checking PH/TDS and help with circulating the nutrient solution. All you will have to do is take the lid off your control tote and make neccessary adjustments to your solution without having to lift the lid off a tote covered in plants, ecspecially when you only have 5.5 feet to work with. Add a shut off T on the return line to make changing your nute solution a breeze as well.

Y

yosemitysam

Thanks for the great suggestions Guys, I'll hang on to the 400w ballast for now, and defiantly be looking into adding a second tote, or even a 5 gallon bucket should work.

Y

yosemitysam

greenthumbbumb: as for strain I'm working with baggie beans right now, I'm certainly interested in suggestions. I get overwhelmed searching the strain guides.

M

Malachi

spend the 50-100 bucks and get yourself some good genes. that is the MOST important thing when you are growing, more then light, nutrients, and all others combined

Top Bottom