freezing fresh trim

• Thread starter BansheeRider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rolln J

Freezing bud = bad.

Freezing shake to make hash out of = good

FYI trich heads do not explode when frozen it actually preserves them very nicely. Here's a micro shot of some freshly harvest hash made from frozen material:

yeah buddy - thats what Im talking about!

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

Freezing bud = bad.

Freezing shake to make hash out of = good

FYI trich heads do not explode when frozen it actually preserves them very nicely. Here's a micro shot of some freshly harvest hash made from frozen material:

looks killer ....... very cool pic

H

headband707

We watched a video done in microscopicly showing what exactly happens and although many of them stay intact others explode might be from being pushed together but they do explode lol.. Very kewl video as far a shake again it works but I'm sure your not going to convince me it doesn't lose potency lol... I can see why ppl do it in certain countries you just can't even leave the pot out for 1 hours and it goes wet and hard to smoke. So I do see why ppl do this lol. I would probably do the exact same thing lol peace out Headband707

Blaze

Blaze

They only explode when pressure is applied freezing has no effect. You can very clearly observe this with a video microscope - I've done it may times myself. I've also heard the whole "fresh cannabis is not psychoactive" line but quite frankly that is pure BS. Hash made form the fresh frozen material is so much more potent than the dried stuff it's not even on the same level.

If you think about the science behind it, it really makes a lot of sense. Air, heat, and light all degrade THC when you use fresh frozen these factors are limited resulting it a much more potent product with a far wider range of psychoactive chemicals. Freezing it before hand also increases your yield quite a bit.

Try it yourself if you don't believe me. I used to not believe it either.

Just take a look at these two shots - one is of the hash at one day of drying, the other is an exterior shot after it has been rolled into a ball and has dried for two days. Both were frozen before hand.

30 drying2
Dried4
H

headband707

It's not that I don't believe you Blaze lol I do lol... think the only way we are going to know which one of us is right is to , have the bud tested prior to freezing and then tested after to see if it has lost anything.. I'm not sure about you but lots of my friends put their bud in the freezer and you can just tell that the pot has been frozen. Now you might be right about how the store it or when they put it in .. I'm not sure I just know that it loses somthing lol .. Your pics look very kewl is that a pic of bud or hash that is frozen solid? Very strange is that the trichs coming out of the hash? I can't remember if they used dry ice when they showed us the video it was a science video so it could have been. lol peace out Headband707

R

Rolln J

were not talking about bud though here - the thread is called "freezing fresh trim" and the point of doing that is in fact to get the waxy spores so cold and brittle the heads break off and end up in the bottom of your bucket or bubble bag...

so yeah freezing bud is bad because the thc ends up in the bottom of the bag.

Blaze

Blaze

Oh yeah i TOTALLY agree with you about freezing bud headband. It def. degrades it quite a bit. With hash it is different though. You are right however w/o testing it, it cannot be "proven" but just from doing some side by side runs and smoking it, it always seems like the fresh frozen stuff gets me way more stoned.

The first pic is of the 90 grade after having dried for 1 day. It was still in a thin sheet at that point. You can see the individual trich heads still but they are starting to congeal together a bit and are not as clearly defined as the pic in the other post. The second pic was one day later (2 days dry time) after it had been rolled up in a ball. Nothing was frozen when any of these pics were taken; the material it was made from had been frozen before hand. You can see in the second pic how some of the trich's have been sort of smashed together as a result of being rolled and pressed into a ball and are now starting to oxidize. The inside still looks like the first pic though if you take a slice out of it.

Here's what it looks like at day 4. The first pic is of the outside. You can see that the trichs have sort of withered and darkened as a result of being exposed to air and light and look a lot different than they did at day two. However, the interior of the hash ball in the next pic you can see that the trichs still remain relatively unscathed.

90 outside
73 inside2
H

headband707

Yeah Blaze that is a very kewl pic lol . Love that microscopic shit lol Is the hash good? Sleepy? peace out Headband707

Blaze

Blaze

The hash, when well made, will retain the qualities of the bud it was made from. So it can be sleepy, it can be speedy, it really depends on the material you make it from. And yeah the hash is great LoL.

H

headband707

I found this on the web today lol peace out Headband707
breakdown occurs.

Storage

Cannabis floral clusters are best stored in a cool, dark place. Refrigeration will retard the breakdown of cannabinoids, but freezing has adverse effects. Freezing forces moisture to the surface from the inside of the floral tissues and this may harm the resins secreted on the surface. Floral clusters with the shade leaves intact are well protected from abrasion and accidental removal of resins, but manicured floral clusters are best tightly packed so they do not rub together. Glass jars and plastic freezer bags are the most common containers for the storage of floral clusters. Polyethylene plastic sandwich or trash bags are not suited to long-term storage since they breathe air and water vapor. This may cause the floral clusters to dry out excessively and lose potency. Heat-sealed boilable plastic pouches do not breathe and are frequently used for storage. Glass canning jars are also very air-tight, but glass breaks. It is feared by some connoisseurs that plastic may also impart an unpleasant taste to the floral clusters. In either case, additional care is usually taken to protect the floral clus ters from light so another opaque container is used to cover the clear glass or plastic wrapping. Clusters are not sealed permanently until they have finished curing. Curing involves the presence of oxygen, and sealing floral clusters will end the free exchange of oxygen and end curing. However, oxygen also causes the slow breakdown of THC to CBN, so after the curing process is completed, the container is completely sealed. Any oxygen present in the container will be used up and no more can enter. Nitrogen has been suggested as a packing medium because it is very non-reactive and inexpensive. Jars or bags may be flooded with nitrogen to displace air and then sealed. Vacuum-sealing machines are available for Mason jars and may be modified to vacuum-sealed bags.

The proper harvesting, curing, and storage of Cannabis closes the season and completes’ the life cycle. Cannabis is certainly a plant of great economic potential and scientific interest; its rich genetic diversity deserves preservation and its possible beneficial uses deserve more research.

He who sows the ground with care and diligence acquires greater stock of religious merit than he could gain by the repetition of ten thousand prayers.

- Zoroaster, Zendavesta

R

Rolln J

headband - I was skeptical about freezing my trim before it was fully dry - been makin water has since the early 90s - but once you try it - you wont want to do it any other way...

keep in mind you dont just trim it and toss it in the freezer or it will turn into a frozen lump of crap and its not a long term storage deal - you leave it in there 2 days max before you hash it up.

H

headband707

It is seriously not my intention to piss anyone off that does this ,Like I said I know it works. I just have to be right lol just kidding.. For me anyways it's all about the end result if you can get more out of the bud then I'm all for that. I look at bud like an oil and you just don't freeze oil ,same as medicine that if you do freeze it you change it. If I could find a way to make hash without freezing I probably would. Do I get why ppl do it and do you get stoned YES.. lol..
I'm also not a big hash fan lol I have only had about 3 hash's that didn't put me to sleep. Hash has a very sleepy quality that I'm not looking for. It's been years since I have had really excelent hash... peace out Headband707

20north

yes cured matured leaf that has been dried is going to yield more and is going to not have as many turpens once it has been made ..but its a little more

wet frozen trim is really easy to store in your freezer i think thats another reason why alot of us do it this way theres more taste in wet frozen trim... i do think that the resin heads do rupture because there is likely water in them... before they dry..... so i think yes it looses potency and yield ...space.. so we all have trouble with having enough space most of the time would we even have this yield at all if we didnt freeze it? where would it go, would we lose it? would it get thrown out on accident because you thought bah humbug ...

i like the idea of freezing your trim after you let the trich's mature and dry

i get a way better yield with my dry stuff than the stuff i just stuff in the freezer but would i even have freezer trim if i didnt put trim in the freezer LOL

***thats my 2 pennys cough*

H

headband707

I actually did see a video of the trichomes exploding it was brought to us by a UBC Horticulturist about 10 years ago . I can't remember if they were in ice or dried ice . It just showed the trichome exploding and the premise of the show was if you freeze any plant it will react to that envirorment and the reaction to medicines. Exploding may not matter if the substance of the trichome remains on the bud. Like I said I know you get stoned from this.. I guess I would have to say on this thread that we are all different and obviously we think differently from one another. The way I think is not going to stop ppl from freezing bud lol.. wet or dry.. Would I personally freeze it if I knew there was another way? No lol. just one more thing about hash lol the majority ,no all of hash that I have smoked over the years have put me to sleep. I think I have only had 3 hashs that didn't.. I'm not looking for sleep in bud, not sure if that is with everyone else? If your looking to sleep then that is your ticket.peace out Headband707

G

goodness

This guy wants to make bubble hash and your all advising him to dry his material first LOL!! That is guarenteed to come out inferior to fresh frozen. If your trying to make 5* bubble/ice wax, always start with fresh frozen. If you dont dry your bubble hash out properly, as in shave it up and put it on the dry screen with card board underneath, it will mold. But that has nothing to do with starting material. You can ask any experienced ice wax/bubble maker and they will tell you that fresh frozen is the IDEAL material to start with for bubble hash. While its not good for solvent extraction or dry sifting (due to chlorophyll) it will make the purest bubble ive done it everytime i run bubble and so do the best. It might hurt the yield a tad but whatever your missing isnt goint to be trichomes is gonna be finely ground up dusty dry trim that u didnt want in your bubble any way.

C

Ciaron Brown

Hi got a question my friend gave me trim that was frozen am i able to refreeze or should i use straight away or just throw them in the garbage

Top Bottom