Fresh seeds

• Thread starter Hamm3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hamm3r

How soon can fresh seeds be germinated? Do they need a dormant period?

M

Mother Chucker

IMHO yes I always put anything I want to germinate in the refridgerator for at least two weeks to simulate winter.

B

bicycle racer

yeah at the very least they need to fully dry but i would tend to agree with the above poster. refrigerator or not at least 2 to 6 weeks. after that for general storage the fridge and some silicate or other moisture absorber. moisture is the enemy to seeds and pollen below 40 percent ambient humidity is optimal.

H

Hamm3r

Thanks for the replies...made some seeds recently and eager to get them bangin' ;)

D

dogbite

Good timing

I was just wondering the same thing the other day, Im glad I found this thread

O

OG4UanME

hey guys, i had just recently pollinated a crop of quite a few strains, train wreck, cheese, lemon skunk, white rhino from ghs. also from big buddha, cheese (3 different phenoes). all the seeds received 4+ weeks, except the lemon skunk witch was my favorite, took longer to finish(by the way it was a sat dom) its been almost 3 weeks now since everything has been dried and put in jars. i tried to sprout 2 different strains on 2 diff occasions and not even 1 sprouted.maybe a total of 100 seeds. i did notice a few were moldy? not sure though. what could i be doing wrong? they were plenty dark enough, ive squeezed many to make sure they were viable(solid, full of the green matter). all in all i have atleast 3000 seeds wich is alot more than intended. needless to say i hate the idea of thinking it was all a waste of time?

O

OG4UanME

thousands of seeds gone to shit?

ive always heard as long as they are mature they should germ as soon as there pulled ? except for the occasional rare strain that may take a few months to a year before it will germinate. but then again im having trouble germinating my seeds, in witch i just grew over a couple thousand lol :headbang

Z

zorglub

I have seen sprauting seeds on a newly harvested outdoor plant, that was a fertileloking sight, anyway i normaly wait a harvest(3 month).

Zorglub

M

Michael_Eaton

OG4U&ME - Moldy Seeds? How were you trying to germinate them? It sounds like they weren't ripe/dry/clean...

Give them some more time (never used a fridge but the idea makes sense) and I wouldn't worry just yet...

B

been

Sounds like they were in a cup of water. I also recently started chucking and got a horrible ratio. I picked the seeds fresh off a live plant though. This time I'm going to dry and cure the seeded nugs like they were stash and see how that works out.

O

OG4UanME

yea, i used the paper towel in zip lock baggie method and always have, never had a problem with purchased seeds or even bag seed for that matter. let me re-phrase the mold situation, they smell slightly moldy,theres no visible mold growing on them. whats odd tho is the stripes and patterns on the seed surface is peeling or flaking off? (before they were put in paper towel) never seen this before. my seeds were hung with the buds.then after about 5 -7 days they were then tossed into a paper bag for a few days. after that then they were placed into jars,as i was smoking and a little giving and selling i picked the seeds from the buds.

B

been

Sounds like they were in a cup of water. I also recently started chucking and got a horrible ratio. I picked the seeds fresh off a live plant though. This time I'm going to dry and cure the seeded nugs like they were stash and see how that works out.

I got 100% germ on my last batch (Jiffy pellets). Only difference this time was I gave the girls more food and waited till the nugs where dry to get the seeds.

One of the seeds didn't do anything for a week. I dug it up and cut the tip open with a razor. 2 days later it was above ground doing it's thing. :banana:

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
did they seeds from pollination get 30-40 days to ripen on the plant before you cut them down? when you say coating is rubbing off sounds like they are not ripe. im sure the seeds deeper in the buds are prob more ripe and should germ. if you mixed them all together already you will just have to pop more at a time. do they feel hard or soft. if they are easy to pinch open they are prob not ripe and will be tough to get them to germ if they do at all

B

been

I think the tiger stripes are hold-over lining from the calyx because I can rub them off. Also, I did crack a seed while rolling it around in my fingers (fresh off the plant) and when I pinched it, the seed would spread apart and i could see the stem and leafs inside. It ended up growing fine.

Top Bottom